+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is the Overseer? (Spoilers)

Default What is the Overseer? (Spoilers)

I admit I missed out on some quest text while in the more deathly Dusken areas, so does anyone know what exactly the Overseer IS, and why it protects everyone?

Is he some repurposed 'A.I.' of merged necrotic flesh and empyrian tech?

I really have no idea and would like some clarification. I've done all quests in Storm Legion except several Carnages, dailies, and misc stuff in Steppes, but I kinda missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I admit I missed out on some quest text while in the more deathly Dusken areas, so does anyone know what exactly the Overseer IS, and why it protects everyone?

Is he some repurposed 'A.I.' of merged necrotic flesh and empyrian tech?

I really have no idea and would like some clarification. I've done all quests in Storm Legion except several Carnages, dailies, and misc stuff in Steppes, but I kinda missed this.
    I thought everyone knew?

Spoiler!
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 04-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

No idea. I was wondering myself, off and on.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Its been awhile, but I know the Overseer was Crucia's main adversary (besides Regulos) after she tried to gain control of it's mind. we intervine by taking the fight to Cruica inside the mind of the overseer by using the power of Atagonix, Lord of the Deep, who was buried in the Necropolis a long time ago. I guess the Overseer absorbed the knowledge of its power. but that still doesn't answer who the Overseer is.

and the answer is found in the quest Suppression Regression:

Greetings, [%Name] the Ascended, and welcome. I am The Overseer, a biological entity created by the Brevane Empire to safeguard Necropolis. I have fulfilled this obligation for over a thousand years. With your help, perhaps I can protect Necropolis for a thousand more.
    So it looks like Cruica may have been trying to gain access to any long forgotten powers such as Atagonix or clues about the infinity gate through The Overseer.

As to why it is protecting us, I believe after we saved it from Crucia it took interest in our fight against the Blood Storm.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 04-30-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

I'm creeped out by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    As to why it is protecting us, I believe after we saved it from Crucia it took interest in our fight against the Blood Storm.
    Basically. Its purpose is first and foremost to protect Necropolis. The Overseer clearly has a vast amount of intelligence, enough to understand that if it takes a purely defensive approach to the protection of Necropolis, the city will fall. Put simply, the Overseer has taken on the philosophy that a good offense is the best defense. With the added manpower provided by the Ascended, the Overseer sees it as an opportunity to push back the oppression of the Storm Legion and the Shapers.

It's a little odd to think about, but ultimately it seems like the Overseer sees the Ascended as a means to an end.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Basically. Its purpose is first and foremost to protect Necropolis. The Overseer clearly has a vast amount of intelligence, enough to understand that if it takes a purely defensive approach to the protection of Necropolis, the city will fall. Put simply, the Overseer has taken on the philosophy that a good offense is the best defense. With the added manpower provided by the Ascended, the Overseer sees it as an opportunity to push back the oppression of the Storm Legion and the Shapers.

It's a little odd to think about, but ultimately it seems like the Overseer sees the Ascended as a means to an end.
    I don't trust giant brains!!!

Plane Walker

as well through some of his quests he reveals that Regulos had hidden the Nexus Key in the Plane of Death and that four elder shapers each know a quarter of the spell to reach it. The Overseer does not know all of these incantations as yet only that of one shaper for he sends you on quests to get the other three for him. I think this is what Crucia was after, this spell to reach the Nexus key. What I don't remember from the quests is what was revealed from these other Shapers or even the spell from the one the Overseer knew.

Does anyone remember these? The one I remember is Lezul, in the forest of flesh, though not his piece of the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    as well through some of his quests he reveals that Regulos had hidden the Nexus Key in the Plane of Death and that four elder shapers each know a quarter of the spell to reach it. The Overseer does not know all of these incantations as yet only that of one shaper for he sends you on quests to get the other three for him. I think this is what Crucia was after, this spell to reach the Nexus key. What I don't remember from the quests is what was revealed from these other Shapers or even the spell from the one the Overseer knew.

Does anyone remember these? The one I remember is Lezul, in the forest of flesh, though not his piece of the spell.
    And the one captured by the storm legion and held in a forcefield~

and the one who you hunt down in his lair after destroying his "great artworks" of flesh shaping...

... and that's when I hit glorified necropolis, and stopped doing the quests >_>
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Plane Walker

I have actually just been doing these quests in the last few days.

The Overseer, as stated above, appears to be a biological construct created to protect the Necropolis. He has the ability to absorb the power and knowledge of anyone buried there. The reason he protects the Caretakers is two fold I think. One is that he provides for them. He needs the nutrients they collect to survive. Secondly his purpose is to protect the Necropolis and they dwell within. Literally, the city of the dead has become the only safe haven for the living. The Caretakers thought everywhere else had been wiped out by the dragons.

He does seem to care about them though. He considers the pain he receives when attacked by Crucia to be a valuable experiance because it reminds him of the pain his caretakers live with on a daily basis. Also Crucia wasnt out to control him or at least thats what she was saying. She wants the Overseer dead to keep him out of Regulos's hands. Regulos is the one who wants the Overseer corrupted to his side.

One thing all this has left me wondering is exactly why was the Overseer placed to guard the Necropolis in the first place. That place has some pretty hardcore tech built into it by the looks of it. Enough to keep a Dragon at bay. It seems excessive defences for a place you bury the dead... unless theres something dead buried there that you want to keep the ramains of safe..... Atagonix was buried there to make the Overseer stronger.

I tend to think the Overseer will play a role in whatever future Water content we may have in store this year

Maybe a World Event/Epic Questline where we find out more about the previous war between the Water and Air armies of the Blood Storm?

Plane Walker

with answers maybe to the meaning of all the sea creature statues we see as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    with answers maybe to the meaning of all the sea creature statues we see as well.
    Maybe Crucia and Akylios were 'allies' in their attacks on Telaras' minds, but had 'disagreements' on where to go with that. Crucia wanted an empire, Akylios wanted things to toy with. Cue the hidden war, not nearly as overt as the conflict between Crucia and Regulos nowadays.

Plane Walker

Crucia, Akylios and the Overseer do seem so similar in the ways that they all seem to wish to absorb knowledge

Did Crucia absorb knowledge or rather control people with knowledge with her mind powers. Akylios was so intelligent that he/it went mad and any who touches his mind become mad also. i think there is a book about a boy in a tower etc..and akylios would sneak up at night and watch him from behind.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast