+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: WTB Lore

Default WTB Lore

I WTB some lore buildup for next major patches to keep me hungering for this game.
    we have killed Regulos for good,
    Crucia is out there somewhere,
    Torvan said he/she/it will be back once his/her/its mind is fixed,
    Oriphel - ya who knows (not the one in Meridian),
    Infinity gate is still not open,
    are the architects the next major threat? (just thinking of Dendrome)

anyone have anything else? Just trying to create some lore hype.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    are the architects the next major threat? (just thinking of Dendrome)
    It just so happens that there will be a Livestream next Friday week on the Architects

Want to know more about the Architects, an ancient race whose technology has the power to traverse the very fabric of space and time? Tune in to www.twitch.tv/TrionWorlds on Friday April 26 at 1:30pm PDT/20:30 UTC to learn more about the Dendrome, the Architects, and their history and place in Telara.
    Source: http://eu.riftgame.com/en/news/artic...livestream.php

ooooh, so the architects technology will be utilized so we can open the infinity gate to travel to the planes.

This helps. Makes me wonder if we will see Torvan when we go to the planes.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

Elrar mentioned in yesterday's livestream that the Architects will be the main antagonists of Dendrome 2.3.
    Also, we have Nixtoc; so we'll likely be helping him save/free the Architects from the mind control of Crucia.

As for Regulos:
    When you kill him he states that he hasn't died. His essence has been scattered but he states that his minions will retrieve them and he'll come back again (or something around that).
    So he might re-appear unless we, or somebody else (like Orphiel) manages to collect all the dragon essence and seal him away or use his essence for nefarious/more grandiose purposes (aka like combining multiple planes' dragon essences into a single avatar/being).

Obviously if Regulos returns he'll need to find a new Avatar to house his body in.

Same idea behind that world event ages ago with the Dragon Motes, which stored a large amount of Dragon Essence from the previously killed dragons (Greenscale and Akylios at the time). Basically the cults were trying to collect the dragon essences from the 'killed' dragons and in the event you tried to prevent them from collecting it all by destroying the dragon motes.

----

There's a lot that 'could' happen and a lot of possibilities to further progress the lore.
    We have:

- Architects who are being mind-controlled by Crucia using those worms/snakes/whatever you see in Steppes of Infinity. In one of the Daily Quests in Steppes of Infinity you go about freeing some of them from the leeches.
    Just as we had Queen Miela & Batua lead Frozen Tempest to help flesh out the lore there; we have Arlan Merkur (sp?) for Endless Eclipse. For Tier 2 20-man, we'll probably have Nixtoc asking us to help free his fellow Architects who are imprisoned behind the electric walls surrounding Dendrome.
    After we save them, they might decide to help us operate the Infinity Gate to fight a greater threat/new threat. Or we could end up being 'too late' and the mind-controlled Architects finish up re-building the Infinity Gate. Still, we'll probably end up with our Architect allies helping out to bring the Infinity Gate under our control.

We may even get to learn more about the Plane of Earth and whom resides there.

- Dragon Essences. Regulos states when he 'dies' that he is not dead and will come back once his minions gather up his dispersed essences. We've had an event where we prevent the dragon cults from collecting the dragon essences dispersed by Greenscale and Akylios.

Quote from the world event:
    When Greenscale and Akylios fell, their power dispersed across Telara. Where this planar energy congeals, a Dragon Mote is formed. If left untouched, the Mote will become a blight upon the land, mutating plants and beasts and driving men to madness. But a broken Dragon Mote leaks Dragon Tears, the pure elemental energy of the hideous gods. The cults would use this power to resurrect their masters, unless the Ascended can harvest the Tears first.
    As well as Regulos' last words before he 'dies', it seems clear to me that the dragons could be resurrected in the future, perhaps under a different guise/form/avatar. Regulos simply needs to have his minions collect his essence and put him in a new Avatar unless we stop them.

This leads onto my personal thoughts on the Vigil and even perhaps Orphiel.

- Orphiel is seen as this genius scientist. He just 'disappears' early on. My thoughts on this are that he probably realises that he could potentially harness the dragon essences for himself and he could end up creating (or becoming) some hideous monster that is a mix of different planes' dragon essences.
    Think of him like Duran (Narud) in Starcraft lore. He could potentially end up creating Hybrids, whom perhaps once ruled the universe long, long ago before they split into the various individual Planes.

- The Vigil. Given that both the Vigil AND the Defiants using technology could create Ascended, I believe the Vigil aren't Gods at all. They are 'Gods' to the Guardians in exactly the same way that the Dragons are 'Dragon Gods' to their respective Cults.
    Perhaps the Vigil are using the Ascended in order to defeat the Dragons so that they can use the essences of the Dragons to resurrect themselves. Perhaps they are 'weak' right now and need to be empowered by all this planar energy in order to 'rise once more'.

- The conspiracy nutter in Tempest Bay:
    This guy who appears at random with a different sign could be like Poor Tom in Sanctum - foreboding and perhaps revealing future Lore.

Two of his signs are:
    SixDragonsSixGods
    FateGoddessUnknown
    FaceInSkywayOnly
    RepresentationLeft
    DestroyedTransitTo
    KeepDivineWarSecret
    To me the last line is of most interest. "Keep Divine War Secret".
    To me that means there must be some secret that either the non-Ascended Guardians of old, or the Vigil themselves are keeping a secret - hopefully something really controversial and juicy that will end up having all Ascended turn against the Vigil once leaked/revealed. Now THAT would be interesting.

WithTheWardFallen
    SunStopsMovingAnd
    TelaraRotationFall
    OntoEightCorners
    OfTwelveSidedWorld
    This is even more interesting.
    8 Corners; 12-sided World.
    To me this probably means there are certain Planes/Dimensions/etc. Perhaps it points to the number of Planes that actually exist. It may mean that there are either more Planes that we don't know exist, or that there's simply a lot more out there that we don't know. We know of 6 Planes, and 5 Vigil Gods. The 8 doesn't really connect with anything as far as I'm aware, and the 12 doesn't really either (besides 6x2).

During the Crucia fight in FT, she states "Telara is small, pathetic prison! Behold the truth of your world: weak and alone in a hungry darkness! This is my final gift to you!"
    To me that speaks of some conspiracy. Something shocking may be revealed about the people of Telara. Perhaps we are all pawns in the Vigil's hand. Perhaps there are much bigger, greater dangers whom seek to take over Telara for our rich deposits of planar energy.

In any case these conspiracy theories seem to all point to greater things to come, and newer threats. It all seems to link up to state that the world we currently know of is very small compared to what actually exists out there.

I Just wanted to clear up some things Jonus mentioned in the last post concerning "Dragon Essence". When you kill Regulos he never says he will be back or that his essence is scattered in fact he sort of admits that he will be gone (quotes at the bottom). While the lore about motes exists there is probably a loophole that will ensure that the Blood Storm are mortals and are now dead. Captain Cursor has made it pretty clear he is going to move away from the Blood Storm and focus on other threats to Telara.

My speculation lore-wise is that there is probably some time limit to re-accumulate the motes. A member of the blood storm that is slain has a chance to reconstruct but if they fail before there power wanes then they die. We will likely never even have this mentioned again and it will just be assumed that the motes failed the Blood Storm has been defeated.

Regulos the closest thing to a god of death has some interesting quotes (during the his final 20% of life) in which he admits his own mortality. :

"Did you expect me to surrender? Over the long years, I have destroyed greater threats than you to keep this world for myself"
    "Great Horror and ageless beings make their home in the boundless terrors of the void!"
    "Without me to shroud Telara from their sight , which fiends will be the first to turn the hungering gaze upon your souls?"
    *Death*

This isn't to say it is set in stone the blood storm couldn't come back, I mean they have killed Zareph 4 times now.

TLDR: Blood Storm is probably dead expect new lore in the future.

On topic, the next lore bits that will accompany raids will go as:

Architects (Brevane & Dusken lore) > Crucia (Trying to open the Infinity Gate and finally dying) > New Threats (Next expansion)
    Last edited by IonCannon; 04-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Didn't take a screenshot (or lost it), but I'm pretty sure he says stuff when he 'dies' as well.
    Will need to kill him this reset and remember to take a screenshot.

Edit: Eh, didn't have to - just had to view someone else's kill vid:
    That said now that I take a look at the quote again, it seems as though it might not 100% confirm that he could be revived again; he could just mean that his actions/will shall continue on in his minions - so what he wants (the death of everything) will be carried out by his minions for all eternity rather than "I'll be back".
    Last edited by Jonus; 04-20-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Edit: Eh, didn't have to - just had to view someone else's kill vid:
    That said now that I take a look at the quote again, it seems as though it might not 100% confirm that he could be revived again; he could just mean that his actions/will shall continue on in his minions - so what he wants (the death of everything) will be carried out by his minions for all eternity rather than "I'll be back".
    Good find I don't know why I missed that one... Like I said before though the lore exists for a resurrection. I just don't think that they will go that direction based on what Captain Cursor said during the lore interview.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 04-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Plane Walker

Default A perception of the signs :)

SixDragonsSixGods
    FateGoddessUnknown
    FaceInSkywayOnly
    RepresentationLeft
    DestroyedTransitTo
    KeepDivineWarSecret

Once there was six dragons and six gods, the fate of the sixth god, a goddess, is unknown, a face in the skyway is the only representation left of her and travel to where she is has been destroyed to keep something she is or knows a secret.

A question I have is, where is this face in the skyway that might represent her

WithTheWardFallen
    SunStopsMovingAnd
    TelaraRotationFall
    OntoEightCorners
    OfTwelveSidedWorld

When I read this, I think of a Prism of a sort, Telara becomes a Prism when the ward falls?
    Last edited by Mythue; 04-22-2013 at 05:52 AM.

woohoo all great posts.

Good interpretation of the signs there Mythue, I didn't really think of how many Gods there were and that one was missing.

There was one thing that i gleaned from the Lore interview was that Captian Cursor mentioned/hinted that the Blood Storm were not the arch nemesis of the Vigil, but that they were just a imminent threat to the destruction of Telera.

So maybe that is where the the eight corners of a twelve sided world comes into play, that the arch nemesis of the Vigil will appear now that Regulos is no longer "shrouding" Telara, but that is just pure speculation from that one comment.

Also, don't forget that Crucia is still around in Miela's smoking body. Will that also pan out in the next 20 man? or most likely when we go to the planes? thinking the latter.

speaking of Crucia, when she does show you "how alone we are", i see that there are 3 other planets or moons, i am wondering how those will play to Rift. Will it be a Luclin (think EQ1) type expansion deal??

With Orphiel, I can see him re-apprearing and the present world Orphiel will be like, oh snap, go take down that fool... There can only be one!! (think highlander reference).

As far as Torvan, I am still wondering what kind of role this character will have in the future of rift.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    SixDragonsSixGods
    FateGoddessUnknown
    FaceInSkywayOnly
    RepresentationLeft
    DestroyedTransitTo
    KeepDivineWarSecret

WithTheWardFallen
    SunStopsMovingAnd
    TelaraRotationFall
    OntoEightCorners
    OfTwelveSidedWorld

When I read this, I think of a Prism of a sort, Telara becomes a Prism when the ward falls?
    I think the good reeading of this is not "fate of the goddess" but "goddess of fate". You know, the goddess of fate whose artefacts you find in Morban.
    The goddess of fate is the sixth god. And I think her domain is Time. Death is abolition of Time, and Fate is destiny, she was the goddess of mortality, the cycle of life, opposite to Regulos and his endless torment or oblivion.
    I always have wondered where was the sixth god, because there are six dragons and each mirrors one of the vigil. The sixth is unveiled know.

If you do the symetry it gives this:
    Life: Tavril-Greenscale
    Air: Thedeor- Crucia
    Fire: Mariel Taun- Maelforge
    Water : Tauntic- Akylios
    Earth: Barhalt-Laethys
    Death: Fate - Regulos

The Vigil are five, so what happened to Fate and why? Maybe the divine war was not only between Vigil and Dragons, but between the six "goodguys" themselves. We know that they were not amways in good terms before Vigil.

I have a theory for this.
    We know the Ward was made to seal the Dragon's prison in Telara. We also know this prison was powered by the dragons themselves, so thir death would destroy the Ward. History tells us that the Ward was made by some powerful mortals with help from the Vigil. But what was this help? I don't think mortal magic could be enough. I think Fate was sacrified to power the Ward. This make sense, because she had power over Time and a Time barrier can block everything.

This leads to the second text.
    I think the face of the goddess in the sky is this strange little sun we see in the sky of Telara. Its move is what sets the time flow on Telara inside the Ward. Probably it sets the planet on an appropriate orbit between the planes and dimensions. Telara is on the Nexus, so it is at the crossing of dimensions and realities. Without this guidance, what could happen? I think Crucia gives us an answer, and Regulos too, and it is not a pleasant one.

For the twelve side world, I think this means 6+6 planes. The six planes we know of, and six inverted planes. The pure elemental planes outside the Ward, and six inverted planes corrupted by the dragons inside.

Remember this:
    The Big book of Eth conspiracy

Ancient Sorcerer-Kings engineer
    6 simultaneous elemental incursions
    6 elements = 6 sided cube
    Telara = 7th side
    6 cube sides + 7 Planar frequencies
    13 cities of the Eth
    Simultaneous dimensional incursion Ouroboros
    Destroyer dragon is Sorcerer-King of the Eth
    Catari ruled Catari with blade of Catari
    Death unto death unto undeath
    Knowing opposites of elements leads to inverted cube
    7th side is internal with inverted elements
    Convocation destroyed not Eth but Telara
    Death form of Telara invaded by elements
    Destroyer is inside simultaneous six sided cube
    Rotating elemental rifts predicted by Sorcerer Arkeen
    Ancient eth city of Cyclopes
    One eye = one world = 7 sides = 7 eyed creatures
    14 simultaneous dimensional sight = dimensions undreamed of
    Sorcerer King Mkhai creation of elemental portals
    7 planar frequencies!
    7th frequency to 7th frequency = 14 simultaneous sided cube
    YOU WILL KNOW ETERNAL PAIN OF THE OUROBOROS
    No purity of cube side
    No purity of life

Remember, Telara was the prison for the dragons. What does this mean? It means that the dragons corrupted the whole planet, they corrupted sourcestone, this is why this energy is so chaotic and dangerous. The Vigil knew this, so they forbade its use, because using it gave the dragons a way to influence mortals.

I have not found yet an answer to the "eight corners" thing, but I search
    Maybe the 8th dimension is the Void where our world lies.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

And for Orphiel, I think he is linked to Fate, because he got the power to see through the Ward (he says this in Meridian) into the Planes. He also is an expert in time travel, even if officiel history says he found the secret in ancient Eth ruins, we know official history is not always true

Maybe is is an agent of Fate. Maybe even he is an avatar of sorts and does not know it consciously, but this would explain why he searchs for godlike powers.
    Orphiel appears in some major lore things.
    He was here when the first hole was made in the Ward. He did it. Maybe he was doing this for his owm purpose, or for the Goddess he serves.
    He made the time machine.
    He (from another timeline) shows the multiple realities to Tom in Sanctum. And says something about the Vigil being out of Time.

Ah and for the goddess of Fate, I think she is the Sun God the Eth worship. Sun is very present in lore, there is a NPC in Tempest bay who speaks of this. And of course ther is the Sun Orb.
    And there is a book about a legend of a Sun God walking on Telara and giving the secret of the Sourcestone to Eth. Orphiel again? With his hair of fire he is a good candidate
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 04-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

The implications of this are amazing, and also could explain how they're going to still have rifts enter zones (if we get an expansion which takes place ON the planes).

And it explains why we're even messing with 'alternate timelines', 'slivers of reality', and 'worlds where the good guys go bad', etc.

Prediction based on all your wonderful info!:

-There are the 6 Planes, but also the Inverse Planes that have also been invading. This allows the Rift/Invasion concept to continue, but for us to find allies and stories in the 'Good' Planes

-The Dragons are the big bosses in each Inverse Plane, but each of them also will have different stories on how they're dealing with each boss dying. Most cases, they'll try to create new Avatars of this Corruption, providing us with many many elemental bosses , while we also expand the lore into even bigger concepts beyond the elements themselves. However, after Storm Legion, we'll be done with the Telaran cults for the most part, and head into exploring new races and societies.

-It will be shown that the Vigil isn't so pure as they were supposed to be, and that sourcestone isn't so innately useful as the Defiants think it is. Both may have some element of a trap involved, and both factions will clue into this over time. This doesn't mean the Vigil is evil or sourcestone shouldn't be used, but rather that there will be developments and complications regarding them.

-We'll be visiting other planets on this Telaran plane. Dunno what'll exist there.

-Regarding this 'time barrier', its very interesting. If the Ward is actually a form of stasis to trap the Dragons in (while safeguarding the sourcestone/Nexus and the Vigil trying to prep Telarans for peaceful existence there - the Messengers weep for Telara..), breaking the Ward would mean that all hell may break loose.
    Not saying Telara will fall - no, we're Ascended and will kick *** - but it would be cool if we get a World Event of tons of Rifts of ALL Planes attacking at the same time, now that we're moving at the same 'flow' as the rest of the Planes and planets.

And then the Conquest factions (and even its skybox) will make more sense. What do Ascended do at this point, once the existence that BOTH factions thought was the case, comes crashing down? Do they stay and protect the mortals of this place as heroes still (Oathsworn), or do they seek to rule Telara for its own good (Dominion), or do they take flight and explore the mysteries of the beyond, forsaking the mortals of Telara and their old lives entirely (Nightfall)?

Oathsworn: The Oathsworn believe the Ascended exist to protect Telara and its people from the forces of chaos and ruin. They celebrate and uphold the legacy of those who have fought and died to vanquish the Blood Storm. They seek not glory, but find it nonetheless in selfless defense of their world.
    (AKA we'll maintain our existence as the heroes and protectors of Telara, despite any revelations about it, the Vigil, and sourcestone, etc)

Dominion: What good is power without reward? Members of the Dominion regard Ascended as the mightiest beings and rightful keepers of Telara. They see mortal weakness and disagreements as threats to existence, and look to secure the power and domain necessary to unite the world under Ascended banners.
    (AKA screw those reputation factions, we're beyond them now and they serve us. We'll take a lesson from Crucia's success before we stomped her, but we'll do it better and have proven we are stronger than her anyway. We also have the moral high ground - no mind control! However, her army was useful to her... we can be our own Legion.)

Nightfall: Members of the Nightfall wonder what good can come of an unending war. They abhor the thought of infinite conflict on Telaran soil, calling Ascended to realize their destiny lies beyond: on other worlds, in the planes, in the fabric of the cosmos anywhere but here.
    (AKA we're learned the truth and it's not pretty. Telara shouldn't require our protection anymore, and there are greater things out there. The Dragons are DEAD, and we can face them through other ways, no matter how their legacy/corruption spreads. We'll gain new powers in turn, and stop the cycle of invasion and retaliation.)

Story wise, the Conquest sliver is just a world that is stuck in indecision, with the Ascended squabbling over which path they take.

As we are the 'main canon' universe of Telara/Rift, we'll probably go a different way - all three. We'll still be heroes, we'll safeguard Telara with force, and expand into greater areas while we maintain our foothold here on Telara.

I didn't think of Conquest in this... Very interesting ideas there Maeloda, thanks

This reminds me of the third sign the beggar NPC in Tempest bay shows sometimes, I don't have the english text to show, but it says things like, world falling, and chasing cosmic power.

RIFT really has a deep and complex lore, when you dig in it you find everything make sense, it is a puzzle for the lore hunters, I truly love it. A pity some folks say RIFT has little lore. They just don't try to find it.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 04-26-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Do you know /remember this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape ?
    Many things in the planar RIFT lore (and magitech too) remind me of Planescape, and look at the picture, very similar to Conquest and slivers sky.
    I'm sure some TRION devs know the ADD universe, because we find some inside jokes in the game.
    I would not be surprised at all to find a place like Sigil behind the Infinity gate

If this happens, I WANT a Spelljammer ship
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 04-26-2013 at 02:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast