+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BladeDancer

Thread: Do the Ascended souls affect personality?

Telaran

Default Do the Ascended souls affect personality?

The various heroes that have died and are now available as "Souls" definitely had their own beliefs and personality traits that are highlighted in the various class stories.

It's not really clear whether or not the Souls are actually that person, or if they're now devoting themselves to helping Ascended out meaning you just absorb their knowledge and powers (there are many Ascended in the world, plus the soul abilities themselves are often used by planar creatures & other NPCs).

However, there are a number of talents in the Souls that seem to deal with psychology, most notably in the Defiler tree:
    -Arrogance
    -Obsessive
    -Open Minded

So is it true that the more an Ascended attunes with any given soul (especially Clerics) the more they take on the personality and mannerisms of that hero? Maybe it depends on the soul itself or how you attune with it specifically (allocation of soul points)?

If so, it seems to me like this would make RPing an Ascended needlessly complicated, especially if you assume they have all nine souls and attune to any combination of three of them at any one time - most other people would probably find themselves talking about an individual Ascended as if they're several different people - because effectively they are.

EDIT: It seems like Planar Attunement does affect an Ascended's personality, judging by the various traits that each element "grants" according to the tooltips.
    Last edited by JFrombaugh; 01-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.

It was actually asked in a more profound way in an earlier thread. As a Defiant at least you actually absorb the souls of dead people...it is confirmed this includes memories. If I remember the dev who responded said that the effect the knowledge may have on personality is up to the player.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rift Master

For Defiant, at least, it seems like you can pull out the souls/memories/personalities of every soul you have in your source machine; the original lore for Defiant Ascended made it clear that they were basically cyborgs and you could change "programs" (your soul), and I imagine that since each soul was a living person you would have multiple personalities (or even genders?) depending on which soul you have active.

For Guardians, I'm not sure. It was never really explained to my knowledge just how Guardian ascended "switch" souls. I'd like to think that Guardian ascended's souls are more like tapping into the power of the Vigil and you would NOT have different personalities. So while a Defiant Cleric might have the souls of a compassionate healer who helped the sick in a small village, a righteous inquisitor who rooted out covens of evil, and a hermit who made pacts with faeries, each of them with their own personalities (one of which being the original soul), a Guardian ascended pretty much just calls on the right choice for a given task, basically like the Wonder Twins ("Form Of... Inquisitor!")

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    For Defiant, at least, it seems like you can pull out the souls/memories/personalities of every soul you have in your source machine; the original lore for Defiant Ascended made it clear that they were basically cyborgs and you could change "programs" (your soul), and I imagine that since each soul was a living person you would have multiple personalities (or even genders?) depending on which soul you have active.

For Guardians, I'm not sure. It was never really explained to my knowledge just how Guardian ascended "switch" souls. I'd like to think that Guardian ascended's souls are more like tapping into the power of the Vigil and you would NOT have different personalities. So while a Defiant Cleric might have the souls of a compassionate healer who helped the sick in a small village, a righteous inquisitor who rooted out covens of evil, and a hermit who made pacts with faeries, each of them with their own personalities (one of which being the original soul), a Guardian ascended pretty much just calls on the right choice for a given task, basically like the Wonder Twins ("Form Of... Inquisitor!")
    This is what the soul quests were for, bring them back trion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayeth View Post
    Defiants evil soul suckers
    Elegance - 60 rogue
    Faeblight

I'm starting to wonder if the ascend has no personality at all, and is merely a vessel for all these souls of past heroes.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if the ascend has no personality at all, and is merely a vessel for all these souls of past heroes.
    They do mention that the person is brought back to life, but I imagine having all those souls in them must alter their personality somewhat.

Plane Walker

Im pretty sure there was a dev answer to this question back when Weddings first came out. The question at the time was could ascended inherit the feelings and memories of the souls they housed.

The answer I think was that it varied from ascended to ascended. In some cases the identity of the soul became part of the Ascended's personality and they would share feelings, thoughts and memories of the soul. In other cases the souls were like presences in the back of the Ascended's mind, seperate but linked by thoughts and awareness.

I think this answer was so players could chose for themselves how their ascended's personality was fused with the souls they housed.

Early on in Rift, there were quests (at least for guardians) in where you would go out and defeat renowned NPCs notable for a certain soul (ie Nightblade, Riftstalker, etc..) and you would gain their insight (or their memories) on the soul and then it would be available to you.

as far as personality I'm not sure, I am sure the Devs wanted it to be up to the Role player.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 01-25-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

I wish Trion hadn't taken out the ability to gain your souls through quests. That was most fun! I know it was a bit of a hassle and somewhat confusing, but at the same time, it was an interesting source of Ascended and soul lore and I wish we still had it.

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

+ Reply to Thread