+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Too Much Sci Fi too little High Fantasy

Shadowlander

Default Too Much Sci Fi too little High Fantasy

I've always been a tremendous fan of Rift and Trion as a company. They have put together a nice game and crank out content at amazing rates. However when Rift first came out it was purely of the high fantasy genre. However as it evolved and in particular with Storm Legion it has gone increasingly towards the Sci Fi genre.

I wouldn't mind the occasional musket but now rogues and warriors are wielding laser cannons, we are wearing mech suits and the whole perspective of the game has changed. The immersion for me is all but gone. If I wanted robots I would play EVE or another MMO.

Trion you have jumped the shark. Tread carefully you are not headed down the right path.

Plane Touched

You obviously never played defiant.

The tech stuff has been here since the beginning.

I don't consider it jumping the shark. As much as I love High Fantasy, it's ubiquitous to MMOs and renders half the content as redone, copied, or 'inspired by' the generic tenets of fantasy. Rift isn't trying to turn from a WoW or LotR clone to Star Wars clone, it's trying to find a happy medium between multiple genres and expectations.

(Personal note: I don't think Rift is a clone of any game, just a general labeling for arguments' sake.)

There's no helping it if it isn't your cup of tea, but a lot of the playerbase appears to approve of the evolution of the world.

Shadowlander

There's no helping it if it isn't your cup of tea, but a lot of the playerbase appears to approve of the evolution of the world.[/QUOTE]

The diminishing playerbase is obvious proof of this? And yes the main reason a guardian player would choose the guardian faction is to steer clear of the techmode. Now its forced down our throats.
    Last edited by Zasryn; 12-26-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zasryn View Post
    The diminishing playerbase is obvious proof of this?
    Tying those two things together is speculation at best, and more likely you making your perceived reality fit your own paradigm. I have heard of no complaints of the the "techy" feel and Greybriar has a strong population. See what I did there? :P

I for one love our new tech overlords.

Plane Touched

Defiant-lvl of ''Sci-fi'' or technology was pretty lore-friendly in appearance, but Storm Legion took this a little bit too far in my opinion.

The diminishing playerbase is obvious proof of this? And yes the main reason a guardian player would choose the guardian faction is to steer clear of the techmode. Now its forced down our throats.
    Firstly, we have no numbers to ascribe to the current subscription count, so we don't know who has come or gone. Secondly, neither you or I have access to information pertaining to why anyone quit this game. Thirdly, Storm Legion has been out a month. Do you believe a substantial portion of any lost subs that occurred during the 1.5+ year lifespan of Rift happened within the last month, when Rift's 'feel' changed?
    Last edited by Denna; 12-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Guardians were never opposed to technology. They were opposed to *sourcestone* technology. The new tech is Empyrean, it doesn't use Sourcestone, therefore the Guardians are willing to use it; it doesn't go against the Vigil's wishes.

However when Rift first came out it was purely of the high fantasy genre.
    What? No it wasn't.. ever. Hell the technomancy was sole reason we even have Rift's plot.

The diminishing playerbase is obvious proof of this?
    What diminishing playerbase? And what proof do -you- have of this.
    Last edited by Olvi; 12-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.

If anything the player base has grown since SL.

I love the new direction. If I wanted it purely about high fantasy, I already have a lot of other games available in that genre.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

I love how it maintains the high fantasty feel with technology. Personally I like it.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Of all the claims I have heard as the cause of decreasing the player base, this has to be the weakest. I don't think it's a valid criticism even.

[sarcasm]Heaven forbid an expansion actually have a theme to it! Better put out the amber alert![/sarcasm]
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast