+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guardians and Constructs

Default Guardians and Constructs

I've been wondering for some time about this part of the Rift lore. Constructs and Empyrean Technology.
    It seems the Defiants are avid researchers of Empyrean machines and such, as they hold tremendous power and are remnant of the war with the Dragons.

My question is, what is the Guardians views on such technologies. Now I know the extremists views from Brother Jebiah, but what about the general consensus ? Would Guardians use constructs and magitech if the chance came ? Especially now that Ascended from both factions have discovered the ruined continents of Dusken and Brevane, would the Guardians destroy and ban this kind of technology ?

[I've been wondering about such things, mostly because I like to think that my guardian characters are of the more "progressive" point of view.]

If I remember right too, there's a quest in Cap Jule where Abbess Katia and Brother Jebiah ask you to run around judging the Brevanes technology, to determine if heresy is present or not.

Also, what are constructs composed of ? I know they are animated, but by what ? When you build a robot you need a program, when you assemble a construct you need something to make it work and talk, and obey orders. We saw that the Empyreal technology created A.I's like the Auram, but are they mere programs, or sould bound in machines to serve after death ? If they are, wouldn't the guardian use this kind of soul-binding technology to bring some of their greatest soldiers back from the grave, out of Regulos's grasp ?. Would that be considered heresy ? The Defiant Ascended are made this way, a body of sourcestone infused with the soul of a person.

If so, where the Empyreal techno-mages [Cause that's what they'd be] capable of ascension throught machines ?

Sorry for the 100~ questions but that's been going round and round in my mind.
    Arshaa@Wolfsbane NA
    Arshaa@Bloodiron EU
    <Diefied>T1 10/12 HK 0/10
    What's a cleanse ?

Plane Walker

From what I understand the primary issue which constitute heresy is if the tech A) consumes sourcestone or B) is animated by trapping planar spirits or souls inside the tech. The first case is an issue because of the sourcestone destruction and the second is it usually ends very badly. This was the issue with the Malgam on Ember Isle and the cause of the destruction of Hammerknell.

Empyrian tech functions on harnessing planar energy directly. Strictly speaking this is ok. Infact we see several cases of guardians using this including runebinding and Thontic's shrine in Scarwood Reach. For this reason Empyrian tech is probably more acceptable.

I havent played through SL yet but It sounds like Empyrian tech was once used to commune with the gods so its quite possible that we will find 'holy' empyrian tech. There are certianly likely to be hardliners who dont trust any form of construct of planar energy but the Vigil itself hasnt condemned it so its not heresy.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantkeys View Post
    If I remember right too, there's a quest in Cap Jule where Abbess Katia and Brother Jebiah ask you to run around judging the Brevanes technology, to determine if heresy is present or not.
    SPOILER ALERT

This quest sort of answers your question. Jebiah really wants to burn all techs found in Brevane, and cannot really be brought off even by your characters reasoned arguments (after you run around and witness that no sourcestone is destroyed by the machines etc). Then the Vigil directly interferes and sends a messenger, to remind Jebiah that he's not speaking for all the guardians. He accepts this.

SPOILER END

So I guess, if hardliners like Jebiah hear from the Vigil themselves that certain techs are OK, I suppose they can live with that, even if they're not happy about it.
    Last edited by Sarim; 11-23-2012 at 12:31 AM.

There is a matching quest in Pellandine, that you get from the lead dwarf guy whose name I can't remember right now. He asks the same question - is Empyrean tech heresy? But says in the same breath that not all technology needs to be destroyed. He accepts and is even pleased by your assessment of Empyrean technology.
    Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo ("If I cannot deflect the will of Heaven, I shall move Hell")

Plane Walker

There was an old Anceint Wardstone quest in Scarwood which dealt with it. Theres a elven scholar in Scarwood that had you collect planar energy in a syphon to empower the wardstone. She commented that many Guardians are against the planar syphon even though it was an artifact that worked due to the blessing of the Vigil.

Theres a divide here between what is ok and what isnt. Many Guardians have been burned by tech and are suspicious of it. Jebiah is a great example. Hammerknell was his home. He lost everyone he knew and loved when it fell. Its made him a bitter and cynical man. Its also probably contributed to him being exceptionally good at sniffing out dragon corruption and cultists.

Im not really suprised Borrin is pleased that Empyrian tech seems ok. He doesnt seem against runebinding within reason either and liked the Malgam until he discovered how they were made.

+ Reply to Thread