+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: religious undertones with gardions "WHY"

Telaran

Default religious undertones with gardions "WHY"

why is there so much religious undertones with Gard's seems to be praise this and that worship this and that

is this not abit like zombies been done to much allot of chat iv seen in game has been very anti Gard due in part to the religious undertones.

what was the thinking behind going down that road

roll defiant?

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by cyberspider View Post
    why is there so much religious undertones with Gard's seems to be praise this and that worship this and that

is this not abit like zombies been done to much allot of chat iv seen in game has been very anti Gard due in part to the religious undertones.

Pretty much all mainstream fantasy involves gods and worship of some sort but usually it's just background filler. The conflict between the Guardians' faith in the Vigil and the Defiants' belief in self-determination/magitech however is the lore's real "hook". Their different worldviews is what makes Telara different from other fantasy worlds where you often have more clear-cut good and evil factions. The whole notion of what it means to be Ascended and what their role ultimately becomes hinges on the intervention of the gods and the reaction Telara's races have to that. I suppose if people take it seriously and try to create real-life connections between real life conflict over religious beliefs then either faction could be seen as grating but that's not a path I'm even remotely going to start down...

I thought people preferred Defiants because our female leader is hotter. Not because of the religious beliefs of the Guardians.

Telaran

its all the same to me i have both gards and defiant i was just curios of why trion when't that way

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I thought people preferred Defiants because our female leader is hotter. Not because of the religious beliefs of the Guardians.
    Actually I don't like guardians because I don't like religion, now I understand it's fictional, but I couldn't stand being a character that "praises" something.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

its all the same to me i have both gards and defiant i was just curios of why trion when't that way
    Keep in mind that this is Fantasy, so the "religion" is as equally practical as any technology or war plan. Here, the gods and the worship get stuff done, and there is tangible proof of their existence.
    (I see the Defiants as worshiping their technology, they swear by it and trust it as much as any Guardian and their gods. How similar we all are.)

tl;dr: it's Fantasy.

I guess my point is illustrated thusly: If I could go to my real-world Church and say a prayer that caused an actual beam of light to come down and actually raise the dead, I might attend Church a bit more often.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-20-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    If I could go to my real-world Church and say a prayer that caused an actual beam of light to come down and actually raise the dead, I might attend Church a bit more often.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ch...z/215968942020

aaaaayyyyyyyy.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Clarynaa View Post
    Actually I don't like guardians because I don't like religion, now I understand it's fictional, but I couldn't stand being a character that "praises" something.
    Same for me. Guardian quests are pray at this, praise that, boring. Defiant quests are sabotage this, blow that up, and just all-around much more fun for me. The completionist in me wants to roll a Guardian to see the details on that side that I've missed but... I never manage to get very far.

That said, I like the game the way it is. I don't like the religious undertones personally so I don't play that side - I play the other side. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    If I could go to my real-world Church and say a prayer that caused an actual beam of light to come down and actually raise the dead, I might attend Church a bit more often.
    Haha, me too.
    Last edited by Tiimarie; 10-20-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Rift Chaser

I'm not sure you can really call the Guardians religious, since the whole point of religion is believing in something for which you have no proof, i.e. having faith.

The Guardians god, the Vigil, sends messengers down on a daily basis, so there really is no need for faith. They know their god exists!

That is the entire point. You essentially have one of the great existential battles that has had philosophers arguing for millenia. What is the true purpose of existence? 1. Growth through faith in something greater outside the self and 2. Or growth through faith in the self?
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

RIFT Guide Writer Sekhmet The Fierce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    That is the entire point. You essentially have one of the great existential battles that has had philosophers arguing for millenia. What is the true purpose of existence? 1. Growth through faith in something greater outside the self and 2. Or growth through faith in the self?
    This pretty much sums up the general theme of the Guardian/Defiant divide. Though, it should be pointed out that the Defiants still believe in gods/spirits, though the whole relationship between Defiants and the gods/spirits is more shamanistic (pacts with spirits for power/protection/etc) as opposed to your more western style worship of deities.

I, for one, rolled Defiant for the magitech mecha stuff. I <3 my mecha horsies and Tindrel.
    "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."
    He who fights with Monsters should look to it that He himself does not become a Monster. And when you gaze long into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, I dunna about you, but if some voluptuous Valkyrie looking lady came down from the heavens, resurrected me after my brutal death on a battlefield against an undead swarm, gave me super powers and told me this was all the workings of some group of gods called the vigil? I'd be pretty darned religious myself, I do believe.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Wait wait wait. MAYBE trion has wanted to make them religious GASP!

Not everyone is a atheist or agnostic btw.
    Last edited by DSWBeef; 10-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSWBeef View Post
    Wait wait wait. MAYBE trion has wanted to make them religious GASP!

Not everyone is a atheist or agnostic btw.
    Agreed and I'm agnostic.

The Guardians, while they falter often (both factions do), do have a true and factual foundation in their faith.

The Vigil, as far as we know so far, did a LOT for Telara. A LOT.

To the point where even the Brevanic civilization are quite the followers as well, still, even with their tech.

The bowing isn't in utter worship, but closer to respect.

The praying isn't in hope, its in understanding that the Vigil are truly going to reach through the Ward whenever they can.

The adherence to Vigil stuff isn't totalitarian or even bigoted, its knowing that the world truly DID do quite well until:
    1)dangerous tech brought the Blood Storm in... multiple times now
    2)mortals starting dealing with spirits of dubious intent, instead of the Vigil which continuously proves its devotion towards its creation(s)

And I'm also a Defiant btw. Both have crazy hardliners too that reflect the worst sides of their qualities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast