+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: religious undertones with gardions "WHY"

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Clarynaa View Post
    Actually I don't like guardians because I don't like religion, now I understand it's fictional, but I couldn't stand being a character that "praises" something.
    I'm sorry someone got some make-believe in your make-believe, but when you can't separate fantasy from fantasy you've got bigger problems than religion.

Personally, I picked Guardian side because they are basically religious nutters.

The funny thing is, both sides are extremists; for Guardians it's their gods, for Defiants it's their tech. It doesn't matter which side you pick, both are 'bad', and blind to their own failings. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Clarynaa View Post
    Actually I don't like guardians because I don't like religion, now I understand it's fictional, but I couldn't stand being a character that "praises" something.
    I think religion is total fiction. It's sort of a game in itself.

But this is a fantasy game, and well, I've never read a word of lore or a quest for that matter, in any game I've played, so it doesn't affect me much.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Ascendant

Just so you know, both sides are "religious" . The Defiants believe in the existence of the gods, they just don't have any hope that they will help and took things in their own hands.

As Nestran said above me, both sides are religious, look at Kelari on the Defiant side. In any fantasy world, there is religious undertones with certain races, and people it's just part of life.

Plane Touched

In Rift, Guardian characters died doing battle with an evil demon and were restored to eternal life by a higher power. How are they not going to have a religious element in their society?

I mean the factions, the plot, and an entire class revolve around Gods. If you have a problem with a fantasy religious setting, you really picked the wrong game.

Pro and con religious arguments again? There was a time one could play a fantasy game that had it's own world, with it's own history and legends, faiths and disbelieves without making it an excuse to start sharing and shoving their own real life orientations on everybody else.

Both sides are fanatics, both sides attack each other at the first chance. Honestly, if I could REALLY choose, I'd pick a neutral faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisson View Post
    Pro and con religious arguments again? There was a time one could play a fantasy game that had it's own world, with it's own history and legends, faiths and disbelieves without making it an excuse to start sharing and shoving their own real life orientations on everybody else.

Both sides are fanatics, both sides attack each other at the first chance. Honestly, if I could REALLY choose, I'd pick a neutral faction.
    A truly neutral side would really be considered fantasy. Cause it sure as heck doesn't exist outside.

And to OP, you are asking why in a video game taking place in a fantasy world there is a faction who works for gods who have been proven to exist by the lore. If you really have that much against any mention of a higher being, go play a shooter game.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmos View Post
    Well, I dunna about you, but if some voluptuous Valkyrie looking lady came down from the heavens, resurrected me after my brutal death on a battlefield against an undead swarm, gave me super powers and told me this was all the workings of some group of gods called the vigil? I'd be pretty darned religious myself, I do believe.
    Preach it, brother.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Keep in mind, "religion" in this setting is a radically different concept than modern folks are mostly used to. No one disputes at all that the Vigil exist, only whether they are correct as to how to defend Telara from the planes...
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

It goes WELL beyond "undertones". It's pretty much a core part of the Guardian faction. The Vigil are the ones responsible for creating the Guardian Ascended, afterall.

But there is a major difference between Rift religion and real life. In Rift, there is no question as to the existence of the Vigil. It's a well known fact they exist. That in itself breaks the entire concept of religion as it applies to real life and eliminates the primary source of argument.

Defiants are not Atheist. They are well aware of the Vigil. They just think the Vigil did a ****-tastic job, so took things into their own hands.
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -
    William G. McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
    Defiants are not Atheist. They are well aware of the Vigil. They just think the Vigil did a ****-tastic job, so took things into their own hands.
    No, Defiants split because they were told not to use Sourcestone in their tech and they couldn't help themselves/didn't want to have obstacles in the way of their research and achievements.
    Kjalla - Aegis - Faeblight

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Regnek View Post
    No, Defiants split because they were told not to use Sourcestone in their tech and they couldn't help themselves/didn't want to have obstacles in the way of their research and achievements.
    I don't really see any difference between this and what I said. ~_^
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -
    William G. McAdoo

"I rolled defiant because guardians believe in the very same gods defiants believe in"

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Just so you know, both sides are "religious" . The Defiants believe in the existence of the gods, they just don't have any hope that they will help and took things in their own hands.
    Nah.

Defiants are spiritual, and only sometimes.

Eth do have ceremonies but are generally non-theist.

Kelari DO have a spirit worship/bargaining religion, but its not universally followed by Kelari now, or at least since Ember Isle fell and many were forced to adapt to their new world.

Bahmi DO have ancestor spirit worship religion, but it also not universally followed.

The Dwarves, Mathosians, and High Elves of the Guardians pretty universally follow Vigil worship. Yes, some are at least apathetic/non-religious, but they're the strong minority. They're of course allowed in as long as they stay under the Guardians' wing and fight for the Vigil, even if they don't worship them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast