+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much of this is taken from RIFTS?

Default How much of this is taken from RIFTS?

Am brand spanking new to this community, but when I stumbled across this, I was surprised not to see Palladium involved. Maybe it's a case of name similarity, but the concept of Rifts opening, magic & technology blending is a world sitting within a mighty big pile of books by my desk. Did Kevin Siembieda finally grace us w/the MMO players have been asking for the past few years or are lawyers about to get stiffies?
    Not trying to be a troll. The game trailers look great, but I'm looking at this & wondering where Power Armors, The Coalition, Triax & The Federation of Magic are. Proposed games have been sent hurtling in to the Abyss before over similarities. Just look at what the jerk that owns Marvel has done & attempted to do to others. Hope that doesn't happen here, but wondering if the confusion will spread to others due to a proposed Rifts movie (supposedly in pre-production) & Rifts pen/paper players pushing for an MMO.
    Eager to hear other people's thoughts on this.
    Do what thou will shalt be the whole of the Law
    Life is the leading cause of Death
    The Gene Pool needs chlorine

Trion were already sued about this matter. They won

And woo, magical rifts breaking a barrier between worlds. Not used at all in different fantasy games or stories. Ever.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Champion

Well it was settled out of court for no damages and Trion sticks "This is nothing to do with Rifts or Palladium" with a link to them and both sides were happy.

No jet packs,lasers and killer robots in this game that I am aware off. The idea of Rifts/Tears and movements between planes of existence is used a lot - they even appear in the Bible.

No one won .... the complaint by Palladium Books was dismissed by the Michigan court. The dispute was over trademark. It was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction. And the discovery and injunction for E3 trade show was also dismised.

The link will take you to a short article 6-11-10 and the full court document if you are interested.

Ok. Was just suprised by this when I came across it. Admitted I am a late comer here. Obviously missed the previous discussions concerning legality also. Glad it got settled. Game looks good. Would have hated to see it go the way of previous MMOs that had been targeted. Marvel is a great example of a company looking to put their sniper sights on anyone & everyone.
    Do what thou will shalt be the whole of the Law
    Life is the leading cause of Death
    The Gene Pool needs chlorine

I just got through watching a trailer for the movie RIFTS and well, what can I say, they have nothing that this game has and vice versa. It's not a movie I'd even be remotely interested in watching either.

To the OP be careful using the word Abyss, it's probably got a copywrite or trademark on it just like the word Rift does. Some people think they own the English language just because they took out a trademark.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 09-13-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

© 2010 Trion Worlds, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Rift: Planes of Telara™ by Trion Worlds, Inc. is NOT related to or
    affiliated with Rifts ® by Palladium Books, Inc

Its right on the front page at www.rifgame.com .
    Deceneu - Xanadu
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/profile/1898430
    eat good-look good;look good-play good;play good-paid good;paid good-eat good

+ Reply to Thread