+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Riordian
  • 1 Post By Myerz
  • 2 Post By bitnine

Thread: Lore: a plea

Default Lore: a plea

Greetings fellow Ascended.

I have not made many posts in this forum, but I have observed it as others did.

I have been a fan of Rift since the game launched, and I was playing it on a well under minimum spec lap top and shelling out any money I could for the title. In short, I love Rift. This is my MMO, my home, and no matter what shiny new game comes along Trion shall have my devotion to their title.

With this said, on to the point; lore.

Trion, I'm begging you to take lore more seriously. I've said this a million times to friends and fellow players: "there IS lore in Rift, you just have to look for it." No one understands this more than I do, and I have read the few Q&A's put out before Doomcookie left, as well as scoured the many books in the game itself. I'm not saying there isn't any lore available, I'm saying that in order to make Telara have a more lasting impact on fans that come and go as well as those that stay, lore needs to be everywhere. I want to be stumbling over little goodies on what type of creatures are coming out of these Rifts, what the various generals in the armies of the Dragon's do when they aren't hitting me with spells, ect. You work so hard, harder than any MMO company around, please extend that hard work into pumping the game world full of life, and history.

The Gods: For Guardians, unless the rumors that you're moving away from this angle is true, please give more history into them. I never once saw a single God in my time as a High Elf, never saw a flashback of Mauriel Taun when she was amongst my people, anything. Just books and words on what she did. I am a Guardian, my primary motivation is the happiness of these beings, for me they are the point my adventuring and the reason I'm alive again...perhaps they should be featured in more ways than statues and the occasional messenger, hm? I know what some of you may be thinking: "You wouldn't see a God, that's the point of you, as their agent on Telera." But ask yourself; why can't we see and interact with them? It works both ways; we are their chosen, the fate of Telara (according to them) is on our shoulders. Our faith should be unshakable because they reveal themselves to us personally. There are other ways to present it as well, it isn't rocket science to think of an acceptable reason in a fantasy world for a god to make contact with a hero of theirs.

The races: Trion, many have given you a hard time because of how the races in the game are essentially are humans in various shapes and sizes. Let me say something you might not hear often; THAT'S ALRIGHT. Yes, I'll say it again: "Its just fine if they're all essentially human." IF, and this is a big if, you flesh them out enough. If Bahmi have plenty of Bhami specific quests, lore, and NPC's that interact with the differently than the other races then they will FEEL like Bahmi. Let me go on quests to add more 'Sefir' to my body with each accomplishment, or travel to Scarlet Gorge to remember the valleys of the Shalastiri of old. To an extent this is already the case, but I feel you need more of it. When you only have six races with no indication of more to come, you need those races to FEEL like they're different from one another. While there is some difference currently, I feel you need to drive it home.

The world: This is perhaps the biggest to me, and SL may well do this great justice. I will say, that Mathosia has history. The tribes of early northmen banding together to become the Mathosian empire sounds like it would be a thrilling history to convey in the game...but, it hardly is. I mean it; its mostly prevalent in the synopsis of the land on the site. I sincerely hope, with all my heart, that you step away from presenting major lore in this way. You have a smaller world at the moment, and the benefit of this is that you can make it full to the brim with history and depth. I don't know whom I have to pay in order to make each zone load me down with its history, but I'll gladly make a donation. With IA's now active there needs to be a reason to quest at all, and with SL I hope that reason is the world and the story it has to tell you. Essentially the quests in each area, unless specifically marked as 'story' are more about the particular happenings of the quest giver than the zone at large. Given that the quest giver in question will likely never be relevant beyond his post, I feel this is a missed opportunity.

In closing let me say that I hope no one runs to the defense of the questing and story line as it is now. I'm not attacking it, I'm not a whining, and I'm not someone that's going to abandon the game at the first sign of trouble. I've paid my sub even when I couldn't play for months, because Rift is something special to me. By focusing on fleshing out what we already have instead of hastily adding more, and since the usual updates for the game seem to contain (some) but not much in the way of narrative at all, perhaps this could be improved. Imagine Trion, if people coming to try the game are not only pulled in by the quality of life, the overwhelming amount of content, the beauty of the game itself and the polish on everything, but the deep and rich world and lore. Right now its alright, but most don't know it even exists, let's change this some day soon, please. Let the lore lead work as hard as the rest of you on what he does best.

My love for the game is unwavering as Trion has my trust and my hope, so even if nothing I said here is remembered beyond as long as it takes you to read it, I'll still be here. May you all live a thousand years.

Quote Originally Posted by Riordian View Post
    I never once saw a single God in my time as a High Elf, never saw a flashback of Mauriel Taun when she was amongst my people, anything.
    And you aren't likely to see one of the Vigil directly in Telara in any sort of flashback. Been hinted at for some time, but more directly stated as per the lore piece for Maelforge they have some sorta covenant against direct manifestation into Telara. Might end up being a major plot point, since the minion of Regulos that they summon from the Vault of Heresy says that letting the Ascended touch the Vigil's celestial realm will be their undoing.

Shadowlander

Default Hear Hear

Quote Originally Posted by Riordian View Post
    Greetings fellow Ascended.

I have been a fan of Rift since the game launched, and I was playing it on a well under minimum spec lap top and shelling out any money I could for the title. In short, I love Rift. This is my MMO, my home, and no matter what shiny new game comes along Trion shall have my devotion to their title.

With this said, on to the point; lore.

Trion, I'm begging you to take lore more seriously. etc etc
    Intelligently and eloquently put.

I must admit I find the lore a little confusing in Rift. It's probably my own fault in that I do sometimes want to go through questing quickly and perhaps miss out on vital points but given that Rift has a storyline that jumps around a timeline, it needs a more solid explanation. I personally wish Trion would invest in some small novellas or something which explain the origins of Telara or tell individual stories of the races. (Yeah I know there are comics but I am more of a reader, and besides, gather that in developing Rift, some of the initial ideas expressed in the 4 part comic are now inaccurate or wrong).

Closer to the OP's point, I too would like to see stories played out better. I always think that meeting visions of heroes or gods in little sequences post quests are more rewarding than the gold or XP (hehe) and a few cutscenes would not go amiss here and there.

Anyway, just like the OP, it is just suggestion. I love the Rift themes and find it more interesting than other MMOs and wont be deserting anyday soon. But when the storyline is this good, it warrants more expression in-game.

D

Rift Disciple

I agree, while I am not much of a lore buff, I would love to have lore and gods surrounding much of what we do

I too love the lore, but can't seem to find enough of it.
    The books in game are pretty good, though not quite enough.

Some of the lore you only get to find out if you raid, which is kinda sad since I don't really have a lot of time to devote to in game play to hear or game a constant hour or two that it'd take. My life interrupts me often.

That said, I would like to see something that gives up the lore, either chronologically or by category, that gives a complete history of major events up to current.

I don't expect everything to be listed. That'd ruin the exploration for others. It's fine to leave out the love triangle that's going on between some people in Meridian (if you don't know about it, go talk to some NPCs), and other bits like that.

Of course I agree completely with the OP: particularly if "more lore" means more in-game active lore-discovering (and, maybe, lore-making) rather than reading reams of static text.

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    I too love the lore, but can't seem to find enough of it.
    The books in game are pretty good, though not quite enough.

Some of the lore you only get to find out if you raid, which is kinda sad since I don't really have a lot of time to devote to in game play to hear or game a constant hour or two that it'd take. My life interrupts me often.

That said, I would like to see something that gives up the lore, either chronologically or by category, that gives a complete history of major events up to current.

I don't expect everything to be listed. That'd ruin the exploration for others. It's fine to leave out the love triangle that's going on between some people in Meridian (if you don't know about it, go talk to some NPCs), and other bits like that.

The thing of it is, there IS a lot of lore to be had. Tons and tons, but its all here, on the site. Here's an example of my current problem with the lore in Mathosia, Trion; on this site there is an abundance of information given on the 'Scarred Mire' area of Freemarch. Some history on Eliam's heroic charge against the tyrant, Jakub to overcome and rebuild shortly after the fall of the Ethian empire. As a result the march wardens were formed and continue to fight for the people of Freemarch to this day. Knowing this, seeing Eliam fall to Alsbeth the Discordant is all the more sad, as he was a hero in the truest sense of the word. Everything I just said I got from skimming through this site. I can even recite to you a poem that Jakub recited to Freemarch, revealing his twisted 'love' of his 'kingdom.' However if you go over to Telarapedia and search 'Jakub the Tyrant' you will find a blurb merely a few sentences long. The same can be said of our long time foe 'Atrophinius' whom many of us hold in high regard as hilariously consistent in clashing swords with Ascended. Most players have no idea about any of it, and while its there if you care to read, you should not have to leave the game to find it.

The same ideology that comes from adding 'Deeps Depot' to the game (that is, have players spend more time in the game and out) should apply to these stories.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/fiction/

Someone spent time developing these stories, and someone took a lot of time and care developing this world and its lore. Staying power is affected by a lot of things, and I wouldn't dare my the jump to saying Rift not being more popular is a result of not having more prominent lore, but it plays a part Trion. Look at (bare with me here) WoW, the connection to Thrall and the factions is fanatical. Do we want fanatics? No, but do we want people that love your characters and will stick with your world because they care about Asha, Frederick, or Cyril? I would say so.

Please, if you agree with me then say so, like this thread, anything for Trion to see that enough of us care for it to be a concern. That is to say, lore needs to be something brought across in the game, and with the same care and attention that is paid to the rest of the game.
    Last edited by Riordian; 09-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.

I would have thought there would have been lots of lore written to try justify the lovely faction melding we seem to have acquired.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    I would have thought there would have been lots of lore written to try justify the lovely faction melding we seem to have acquired.
    Besides what appeared in the launcher there wasn't a word mentioned in the game. Its sad really; you would think that Cyril would have something to say about the majority of his faction joining arms with the Defiant, or Orphiel might want to warn against aiding the Guardian zealots...but no, not a thing. This is the only aspect of the game that I feel consistently dissapointed in.

Prophet of Telara

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed that the 1.10 faction changes were brought in with absolutely ZERO in-game mechanism or story or events associated with it. Whilst I am very much in favour of the cross-faction stuff, I want to see a REASON for the sudden sweeping changes as given in the Lore. It could have been tied into the Autumn Harvest event perhaps. The prelude to the prelude of Storm Legion. The dawning realisation that Crucia and Regulos have hardly even revealed their hands as yet, and with Maelforge and Laethys down, surely they are next.

That would have been a nice way to have some of the Defiant and Guardian NPCs start going 'uh, I think we need to refocus our resources into the greater evils'. Perhaps spurred on by the fact the old foe Atrophinius is willing to lay down his arms and stop killing us because he has more important things to do right now. If Guardians and Defiants can work together to lend Atrophinius a hand, instead of everyone killign each other, it sets a precedent for working together for when the Storm hits.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    Guardians start the game plopped in the waters outside the smoldering Port Scion, home of the original "faction meld". Not 5 minutes previous (slight exaggeration*), the two sides had been living together under Zareph Mathos in the relative safety of Port Scion. It wasn't until Alsbeth's betrayal that hostilities ratcheted up to the state seen in most of the game. (Oh, I get it, that's why she's called Alsbeth the Discordant!)

(*Timeline note: Port Scion was used as a refuge after the Mathosian Civil war for about 20 years. While at the time Orphiel relocated to Meridian to do his experiments, this "truce" period extended past when Asha became the first artificial Ascended and returned to Port Scion. Prior to its fall, the city was protected by Bahmi-build walls, Guardian sourcestone shields, and proto-Defiant technomagical defenses.)

For the first mention of those hostilities being set aside to focus on the existential thread of the planes you'd have to wait all the way until patch 1.1 opened up the River of Souls. If any of you remember the RP bit related to that event, it was Cyril and Asha meeting outisde the River of Souls and briefly standing down to take the fight to Alsbeth. They're seen together after the defeat of Plutonus arguing about what to do with his Cipher, but hardly at each other's throats.

It's something you also saw to an extent during the 1.3 Waves of Madness event, where the Runeguard/Scotty tells the Faceless Man and Boromir to settle the hell down for a sec and pitch in with breaching Hammerknell. Though I suppose the GSB chronicle with Shyla and Dacia working together against Greenscale would come before that chronologically. One can assume that really happened, since during the Fae Yule event Atrophinius is seen explicitly referencing the promise of mead made therein.

The biggest flare-up that the factions having during the course of the game ends up being the result of escalations from drunken fighting after the Carnival of the Ascended. And though that does heat up a bit, it's cut short by the attack of the Wanton Maw. You'd imagine that this would snap folks back to their senses, and indeed the two factions coming together yet again is exactly the subject referenced by the "Unlikely Alliances" zone event. (Though how "unlikely" is it really by now?)

Would it have made sense to put in some specific lore bits about the threat of Crucia as a clarion call or even wait until the start of the "Tempest Rising" precursor event to implement the change? Perhaps, but the concept isn't exactly sudden or with zero lore support as of right now. And it's largely only as "sweeping" as players choose to make it.

In some ways, it makes more sense. Now you can actually bring a mixed group of Guardians and Defiants into the River of Souls to fight Alsbeth. Well, or at least you could if anyone went in and cleared that instance anymore.

Side note: don't ask me about the Mercenary mechanic, though.

+ Reply to Thread