+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Does Zareph ever return?

Default Does Zareph ever return?

Did he return and I miss it? What the hell is going on? Real question.

run the River of Souls chronicle, if youre 50

So does Alsbeth raise him, and he's undead now? Not as an ascended? Seems pretty un-epic for a guy with a zone named for him. That can't be all she wrote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgaz3r View Post
    So does Alsbeth raise him, and he's undead now? Not as an ascended? Seems pretty un-epic for a guy with a zone named for him. That can't be all she wrote for him.
    I thought the same thing about Greenscale... By the time the chronicle was over I was like "There is no way that just happened >_>"
    Last edited by Tolmos; 09-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Well actually the zone is Stillmoor and Zareph's Return is just a location within it.
    Also the name of the location may refer to an earlier return or to one yet to come. Or it may simply be that in Telara 'return' is a kind of geographic feature. Sort of like Zareph's Hill.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

I personally believe Zareph will 'return' as part of the Storm Legion's Regulos Raid. Either he attempts to help us out a bit (i.e. like Twyl in Primeval Feast), or, he is successfully captured by Alsbeth during the RoS raid timeline and becomes a grotesque monster mini-boss in the Regulos Raid.

My reasoning:

RoS Chronicle seems to be a prequel to the RoS raid (i.e., you help Alsbeth re-tame Herald, pull out Warmaster/Herald from the soulstream/etc and give Plutonus the power to operate the soul-capture device). There, Zareph is pulled from the soulstream by the device and he attempts to fend off Alsbeth whilst you run away to safety. However, since Alsbeth is alive during the River of Souls Raid version, it must mean that either Zareph manages to escape, or, he is successfully captured by Alsbeth.

As such, I personally believe that a mini-boss or one of the bosses in the Regulos Raid will be a distorted Zareph. Also, if we really get to destroy Regulos in the Regulos Raid then we'll probably also come across Kain as well (who revealed he had become the Avatar of Regulos during the Sanctum Chronicle). Perhaps he'll be phase one of Regulos boss encounter or something like that.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Spoiler!
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Why wouldn't the vigil choose to ascend him before when he was initially in the soul stream then?

Well this is how I place the Alsbeth Chronicle into the lore. First let me note something interesting I found. The first time I did the RoS Chronicle, I forgot a quest turn in and thought I still could. So I renetered the zone as it was not reset (maybe 5 minutes later or so). I can't turn in, see I am getting the debuff again, so I go and check to see how Zareph in doing.

He is doing fine, mayb 96% hp left. Alsebeth however was down to around 75%. As a test I reentered a bunch of times and the same scenario was seen, Zareph on top.

So this is how I looked at it. Eventually Alsbeth calls for back up and Zareph has to retreat. Now remember, you do not kill Plutonus, Alsbeth or destroy the device. So when you do the full raid Herald has simply been recalled by the device again. As for Zareph, I picture him hiding someone where in the River of souls. When he hears the voices of Cyril and especially Asha he initially goes to call out to them but then the shame he feels over his current state of existance stops him. Then Alsbeth is slain and he is now alone in RoS. One day perhapd he will find the courage to over come his personal shame and come forth the fight for Telara again. Only time will tell.

As for the GSB chronicle I think they were in such a damn hurry to get a Chronicle out that they simply did not consider the impact on the lore.
    Last edited by Galibier; 09-10-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Why wouldn't the vigil choose to ascend him before when he was initially in the soul stream then?
    Maybe they decided sending him back as an Ascended would cause more conflict?
    Who knows, they're mystical-not-always-logical-gods
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

My theory was that for whatever reason the Vigil felt they needed Guardians AND Defiant. Two different paths to ascension and two different paths to fighting the Dragons, one involving powerful magitech. If Zareph returned too soon he would have continued doing what he did before...forcing compromise upon both Cyril and Orphiel.

Eliminating the one person who could forge such a compromise created a situation where you had two forces evolve into two very powerful though opposing forces. When combined (as we will be tomorrow) this potentially creates a more powerful force than if they had remained united. Conflict and Chaos are very powerful evolutionary forces, it's simply a matter of makinf sure the conflict doesn't cross that invisible line where evolution fails and extinction begins.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Actually I had thought of that the other day with the faction "merge"....before there had to have been some reason the Vigil / Orphiel didn't ascend him. <I'm betting on a "control factor" here....the Vigil found the leaders of the Guardians easier to control then Zareph and as for Orphiel, it could have been a "carrot" to keep Asha focused. <"Well, my dear, as long as you are leading the Defiants in the direction that I want, I can focus my efforts on working on returning your love to you...">

Since the two factions are getting along for the most part now, I see no reason why Zareph couldn't be ascended.

My theory relies on that the river of souls is actually in the plane of death. If dont see him in the regulos raid, it is possible we seem him wandering around in the plane of death for some reason preparing the road for when we get over there once we capture the infiniti gate.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    My theory relies on that the river of souls is actually in the plane of death. If dont see him in the regulos raid, it is possible we seem him wandering around in the plane of death for some reason preparing the road for when we get over there once we capture the infiniti gate.
    the soulstream lies between the planes of Life and Death, if you read the ingame book "The Soulstream" it says that Alsbeth brought the Endless Court "here: to the edge of the Plane of Death and within reaching distance of the Soulstream."

i think Zareph's Return is just metaphorical, its a staging ground for an attack on the Endless Court, and named in honor of Zareph

whatever happened when we left Zareph's spirit behind to fight Alsbeth, we know that Alsbeth won, so either Zareph escaped (which he didnt want, he hated being a "specter") or he died fighting her

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    whatever happened when we left Zareph's spirit behind to fight Alsbeth, we know that Alsbeth won, so either Zareph escaped (which he didnt want, he hated being a "specter") or he died fighting her

I'm guessing this is going to have to be the accepted canon, but like I said before - it just seems rather disappointing and anti-climatic for such an important event. I honestly don't think the term "Zareph's Return" was or is metaphorical, but was intended to indeed be somewhat prophetical. Interacting with Asha, Sylver and different NPC's would lead you to believe that it "Zareph's return" is an important occurrence worth remembering for a future date.

The points made about ascending Zareph would work against the endeavors at hand in Telara for Orphiel or the Vigil make a lot of sense. I'm still left feeling a bit hollow. Maybe I should just move on and take it as a piece of Telaran history that has been put to rest, but I would most definitely not be surpised, or disappointed if he didn't pop up in a future expansion where the Ascended begin to sieve into the different Planes themselves. Wishful thinking.

Until then, I'll just have to believe that Zareph has returned and gone in the form of a 2 minute script scene

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast