+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: interesting comment from the new lore diary

Default interesting comment from the new lore diary

I already brought this idea up once before but the latest dev diary reminded me about it. Now before we saw the Maelforge video. He spoke of traveling through space, from planet to planet slaying the gods of those world. Now in the latest dev diary we hear them say they are turning away from High Fantasy. Other videos have Crucia talking about not creating but rather unlocking the secrets of the Infinity gate.

I am really beginning to suspect that we are going to find a world where once technology held sway. The Bloodstorm comes and perhaps exploiting through the cults the technology. The world is trashed and our Continent and EI are largely isolated from the rest of the world, the Revane technology is forgoten, perhaps in part intentionally, because it contributed to that great destruction and instead magic becomes the rule.

Heck the infinity gate could be what some of the races in forgotten time used to come to this world. I can't wait because I think it is going to be something genuinely new in terms the Telara and I think it will bring into question a lot of what people think they know about the Vigil and the world of Telara.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Maybe.

So far, it sounds like this:

-Vigil came to Telara, created it.
    (there could be details of this that fit your idea though)

-They create the elves, dwarves, and either create the humans or bring them from elsewhere. Tavril favors the elves, Bahralt favors the dwarves, and the rest/all put their attention toward humanity, and ancient Brevanae (sp) society. The details of this will be in Storm Legion though, so I don't know how correct I am.

-The HUMANS create the Infinity Gate. It's NOT how they arrived. The Infinity Gate is the pinnacle (so far known) of Telaran technology, even beyond the Ethian effort at Ascension. The Gate will access the planes (and perhaps more) through the power of sourcestone/more(?). Read the lore article on it.

...but when it comes to the Vigil, a few things could happen:
    -the story turns back towards fantasy later on, and focuses more on the Vigil and less on magitech
    -or we find that the Vigil themselves are refugee gods that just found Telara first, and decided to form it into a home planet they can be safe on

One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Vigil didn't ban anything at first. This seems to hint that Brevane tech was at most, a good thing to them. I wonder.

and dont forget what you saw in Stonefield, if you are a defiant.
    The trolls worship another race, forgot the name(used way to much in a lot of game, shamefully I cannot come up the name :S:S).
    They will play another part in coming Lore, at least thats what I suspect. They are also tied to the past of Telara, could be even up to this technology or the Brevane
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    and dont forget what you saw in Stonefield, if you are a defiant.
    The trolls worship another race, forgot the name(used way to much in a lot of game, shamefully I cannot come up the name :S:S).
    They will play another part in coming Lore, at least thats what I suspect. They are also tied to the past of Telara, could be even up to this technology or the Brevane
    NVM, the Titans(how can you forget) came from the Plane of Earth as summoned by the Eth. So no connections towards the history before the Eth :P
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post

One thing we can be fairly certain of is that the Vigil didn't ban anything at first. This seems to hint that Brevane tech was at most, a good thing to them. I wonder.
    The Brevane are interesting. Are they related to the humans on the main continent, or are they a completely different offshoot? Are they even human or are they a different race via elves or dwarves. Doesn't matter. The point I'm trying to make is that since their tech hastened the Blood Storms arrival in Telara, that their civilization is the very REASON that the Vigil dislike magic tech.
    ~Nythaenae, Kelari Marksman of Black Snow and proud denizen of Faeblight. Avid raider and seeker of all things lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayukhuut View Post
    The Brevane are interesting. Are they related to the humans on the main continent, or are they a completely different offshoot? Are they even human or are they a different race via elves or dwarves. Doesn't matter. The point I'm trying to make is that since their tech hastened the Blood Storms arrival in Telara, that their civilization is the very REASON that the Vigil dislike magic tech.
    Brevane are humans. They fled to Mathosia. So the Mathosians and Eth both have the Brevane as their ancestors.
    The Brevane are the "original" humans afaik
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-15-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Maeloda the thing is they have already shown us time and again that histories like "the gods created Telara" can't be trusted. Did the Eth destroy their own empire to save the world from the cults getting their tech? Did the Mathosians "liberate" the people who they conquered as they filled the void of the fallen Eth Empire? I could go on but history after history has been proven to be more than a little myth and/or propoganda as we do the quests and learn the truth.

As such there is no reason what so ever to take creation myths for granted. Are we to believe that every world in the cosmos was created by a unique set of gods? If we take Maelfroges tale literally then either this must be the case OR the gods are somethig else and simply come up the worlds and take them as their own. Hell the idea that telara is somehow special and that is why the Bloodstorm is here is no longer valid since it is clear the Bloodstorm has done this to many worlds before. This is just the first that has successfully fought back to an extent.

With the turn away from High Fantasy I think a lot of assumptions regarding the Vigil, the origin of the world etc are going to get blown away. Likely to the annoyance of those who like "pure" high fantasy settings. Kinda like how some people got PO'd in EQ 2 when it turned out Rodcet Nife was not a "god" but a grey alien and his temple was his flying saucer.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Maeloda the thing is they have already shown us time and again that histories like "the gods created Telara" can't be trusted. Did the Eth destroy their own empire to save the world from the cults getting their tech? Did the Mathosians "liberate" the people who they conquered as they filled the void of the fallen Eth Empire? I could go on but history after history has been proven to be more than a little myth and/or propoganda as we do the quests and learn the truth.

As such there is no reason what so ever to take creation myths for granted. Are we to believe that every world in the cosmos was created by a unique set of gods? If we take Maelfroges tale literally then either this must be the case OR the gods are somethig else and simply come up the worlds and take them as their own. Hell the idea that telara is somehow special and that is why the Bloodstorm is here is no longer valid since it is clear the Bloodstorm has done this to many worlds before. This is just the first that has successfully fought back to an extent.

With the turn away from High Fantasy I think a lot of assumptions regarding the Vigil, the origin of the world etc are going to get blown away. Likely to the annoyance of those who like "pure" high fantasy settings. Kinda like how some people got PO'd in EQ 2 when it turned out Rodcet Nife was not a "god" but a grey alien and his temple was his flying saucer.
    question:
    Why do you believe Maelforge words? Isnt it possible that he lies?
    Isnt it possible that Maelforge infact is just 1 of the stronger lads on the planes of Fire?
    I did read that all dragons come from the planes surrounding Telara. So either they conquered other worlds first, because they could not enter Telara(up to the Infinity Gate gave them acces) or they never comquered other worlds at all
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

NVM, the Titans(how can you forget) came from the Plane of Earth as summoned by the Eth. So no connections towards the history before the Eth :P
    One of whom though, Plutonus, has an outstanding knowledge of technology. The more I look at Maelforges description, the technology etc. the less I think the "gods" of Rift are the ones we think of from polytheistic religions. I think more and more they are more akin to the way HP Lovecraft explains fictionally and Erich von Däniken put forth in Chariots of the Gods. We are dealing with aliens whose knowledge is so advanced that they can get away with acting like gods.

Plane Walker

I am going to be curious to see how the Vigil tie into Brevane and the history surounding it. We do know that the Vigil are rather unique in alot of ways (such as being the same entities across all slivers). Clearly their role in the history of Telara will play out significantly in Storm Legion since the Vigil are central to the Guardians story and structure as a faction.

What did the gods do originally when the Bloodstorm invaded? It must have been some time between the invasion and their arrival on Malthosia since the Eth and Malthosian cultures had time to form before they arrived. Perhaps the infighting between the Dragons went on for some time. I wonder if there are any legacies of the human ancestory still in those two cultures.

question:
    Why do you believe Maelforge words? Isnt it possible that he lies?
    Isnt it possible that Maelforge infact is just 1 of the stronger lads on the planes of Fire?
    I did read that all dragons come from the planes surrounding Telara. So either they conquered other worlds first, because they could not enter Telara(up to the Infinity Gate gave them acces) or they never comquered other worlds at all
    It's not the "I beat every god I faced." That of course could be and likely is simple bravado. What I am looking at is the context..... In long-gone eons I blazed from star to star....
    the void screaming, scorching in my wake. I would tear the cores from living worlds and gulp them down like beating hearts.... We would clash in the sky and the spaces between the planes...

So he speaks of flying between the stars in the void of space and the planes as two very seperate things. It is this concept of basically a universe as we know it where Telara is just one world being one thing and the planes being another I find most important. That and the fact each world has it's own gods all mean that the idea the Vigil and the like are "The" gods isn't accurate, they are simply few of many, and so we need to look at things a little differently. There is no point when you are trying to sound like a bad *** to make a distinction between space as we know it via Astronomy and the more escoteric concept of the planes. Since there is no reason for this it is likely other worlds were destroyed but the number and his personal importance in these endevours would of course be debateable.

As for the bravado I think his key place as being the strongest killing the gods of war as if alone is boasting. The fact that they have really not been defeated before however is likely true, else they lose a lot in terms of being epic enemies.
    Last edited by Galibier; 08-15-2012 at 02:25 AM.

One of whom though, Plutonus, has an outstanding knowledge of technology. The more I look at Maelforges description, the technology etc. the less I think the "gods" of Rift are the ones we think of from polytheistic religions. I think more and more they are more akin to the way HP Lovecraft explains fictionally and Erich von Däniken put forth in Chariots of the Gods. We are dealing with aliens whose knowledge is so advanced that they can get away with acting like gods.
    I dont know to what you are referring to, am not familiar with both.
    But I find it plausible that the Vigil arent the traditional gods as we know them ourselves. Not that I ever thought of them that way tbh.
    God does mean nothing more then: "Powerfull entity", and that is how it should be viewed.
    Wouldnt be suprised to hear that the Vigil came from the planes to begin with for example

I do think that, before Telara was created, the bloodstorm and vigil were already at war. Not as 2 groups, but all as seperate entities. maybe war is to big of a word, there were battles being fought between them.
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-15-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Shadowlander

The way things are going, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some or all of the Vigil turned out to be mortals who ascended themselves to godlike status with technology. Some of them may even have become gods after the Blood Storm arrived - Thontic's lore page contains the intriguing line "The faceless Abyssal say that Thontic merely imitates Akylios’s genius, but this is a filthy lie." and goes on to describe Thontic as pretty much Akylios-if-he-were-good (encouraging exploration, sharing wisdom, being clever yet inscrutable, etc), which seems to me to indicate that Thontic was familiar with Akylios and/or the Abyssal before he became a god.

Also, if there are remnants of the technology that allowed mortals to become gods hidden somewhere in Brevane, you just know Orphiel's going to be all over that. (Crack fic time - Orphiel elevates the Faceless Man to godhood and sends him back in time to just before the Bloodstorm's first invasion. Divine power gives him a new perspective on what needs to be done to protect Telara, so he abandons the original plan, joins up with the Vigil, and starts calling himself Thontic. IT COULD WORK.)

Shadowlander

Brevane are humans. They fled to Mathosia. So the Mathosians and Eth both have the Brevane as their ancestors.
    The Brevane are the "original" humans afaik
    See, I thought I new this already, but what got me thinking offshoot was that the Bevane caused the coming (or rather made it faster for them to get here) of the Blood Storm. I thought we already had mention of humans on Mathosia before they came? I'm not trying to say that the remnants of their society didn't migrate to our continent, I just wonder of there wasn't a point where humans were on both

I still hold that the Brevane are likely the reason the Vigil hates tech though, and after letting the dragons in I can kinda see their point.
    ~Nythaenae, Kelari Marksman of Black Snow and proud denizen of Faeblight. Avid raider and seeker of all things lore.

Might and Magic... nuff said

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast