+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morvick

Thread: @Class Lore Writers: will we be getting more Calling/Soul lore in the near future?

Default @Class Lore Writers: will we be getting more Calling/Soul lore in the near future?

will we be getting more Calling/Soul lore in the near future?
    Although I didnt like how SWTOR handled class story, I do like GW2's method of handling it better.

Would like to see some customization to the class lore in some way.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I do like GW2's method of handling it better.
    Really? Have you rolled a few toons and tried a few comobo's? Its naff as.

Its not a flowing story its scene 1a, 2c, 3f etc just with a scene assigned to each choice you pick. And a jarring cut over between scenes. Lol.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post
    Really? Have you rolled a few toons and tried a few comobo's? Its naff as.

Its not a flowing story its scene 1a, 2c, 3f etc just with a scene assigned to each choice you pick. And a jarring cut over between scenes. Lol.
    I came away with a different impression, and it's definitely more than you find in most MMOs. To be fair though, it's Racial story, not Class story.
    Race = Story, Class = Combat, by the ANet philosophy.

And that's pretty much how most stories work, even in the Mass Effect saga, your choices boiled down to whether or not you have this ally available for help or if you're capable of saving that species from extermination. It's amazingly in-depth within its limitations, but you need to be realistic about how many permutations of endings and choices the Developers can prepare for thousands of players. As well, the Lore Team has a story to tell. Let them tell it.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind an Epic Quest being made for each Calling where you explore in depth the history of your souls.
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Well I like how in gw2 you can pick different options based on class at the creation menu to effect the story. Also has some race things, but I would like option to pick the story behind the hero of the 8 souls we have on our character. Since those souls belonged to somebody great, I would like to choose which great hero our souls come from.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Well I like how in gw2 you can pick different options based on class at the creation menu to effect the story. Also has some race things, but I would like option to pick the story behind the hero of the 8 souls we have on our character. Since those souls belonged to somebody great, I would like to choose which great hero our souls come from.
    The character creation could use an overhaul to accommodate this, I think. It *would* lessen the immediate availability of all the Souls, but perhaps it could come with some explanations.

Maybe it would go like this;
    You pick your Faction, Race, then Calling.
    After picking your Calling you would be treated to a stylized Soul Selection screen based on your Faction.
    The background could be the flowing energies of the Soulstream, and either a huge mechanical claw is reaching in (Defiant) or a pair of Messengers have their arms outstretched (Guardian). They want to save you from the corruption of Regulos but you must first accept this gift of mighty resurrection.

It would be explained with quick voice-acting that you can pick the three Souls you most identify with, those which resonate most truly with you. These are the three you start out with and you see a ghostly apparition of each Soul as it acts out. A Saboteur throws bombs, a Chloromancer blooms plant-life at her feet, a Paladin hunkers behind a huge shield, etc.
    Their strengths and weaknesses are explained and you are offered a preview of their Soul Tree. Cycle through to find 3 you like. The "Purposes" can be available here with their own little blurbs.

When you are finally resurrected upon picking your 3 Souls, you find yourself either in the Defiant holdout or the Guardian temple, all set with your three Souls ready to be attuned. You are given a "passive" Quest to obtain your last 5 Souls and this must be completed before you exit Terminus or Mathosia. Each of the major quests in these Zones will offer you a choice of Soul and, if you like, a preview of its actions and strengths.

After you arrive in the Present, your job will be to find your Calling Trainer and go on a faction-specific, Calling-specific Epic Quest Saga to deepen your relationship with the Souls who share your body; attune to their knowledge and even quirks. Perhaps your Trainers could keep track of these Saga quests that you've completed and offer you redeemable rewards as suits your fancy?

All of this could culminate in the acquiring of a Chronicle at max-level where you demonstrate (once-daily if desired) your mastery of these Souls and your understanding of what it means to be a Rogue, Warrior, Mage, or Cleric and the chance to have awesome Wardrobe, Book, and Artifact drops throughout which elucidate upon the "flavor" of each particular Calling. Maybe you'd have to fight side-by-side with all of your Calling Trainers, since there are numerous scattered throughout the Zones (faction-neutral Trainers would be excluded).
    These would be solo-only and a journal could be accessed that detailed all the things you learned during the Calling Saga.

Or am I hoping for too much? :P
    Last edited by Morvick; 08-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Well in the mage reveal they said the new souls will be much more firmly connected to the lore. I think they would have concerns with Retconing old ones though. Lots of people have already filled in the gaps themselves. If they retconned the souls that could create some angst. I think in the begining the devs were far more focused on getting the content mechanically done so they had a smooth launch. What killed AoC and Warhammer, among others was damn buggy launches. Now that they are over that hurdle I think they feel they have more time. They even have a rationalization. We live in a post apocolyptic world so now maybe we will see the real history of the world rather than the clearly propogandized world of societies rising from the ashes.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Well, they could also rationalize (through new lore) why many of the Souls are changing.
    The Planes are shifting and adaptation is the only way to survive -- to evolve not only as life finds a way on new continents but as the Ascended themselves.

I think the "changing" of the souls will be treated with kid gloves by the lore. I think they will look at it in terms of a reboot alla the new Dark Knight movies. He has a well...tank...not a Corvette on steroids, Raz a Ghul was the head of a group of Vigilantes who trained Batman, not an immortal eco-terrorist who after encountering Batman wants hin to marry his daughter and be his heir. Harvey Dent dies with a cover up to keep him a hero rather than being locked up in Arkham, Robin was never a side kick etc... These are all things you just accept as part of the reboot and the new stuff is then given in more detail.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

+ Reply to Thread