+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Talila

Thread: Infinity Gate

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Default Infinity Gate

It's been a while since I started a thread, so here's one that's been bouncing around in my mind for a short while.

I'm wondering about the Infinity Gate, this odd device that supposedly allows travel between... where? The Planes? Slivers?
    Is it the only device that could persist between these realities? Who made it; Thedeor just as he made the Travel Stones? Mariel-Taun to connect different realms? None of the Vigil Gods at all?

If none of the Guardians' patron Gods created it, wouldn't it still be in their best interest to seize this mysterious device to, perhaps, get past their own Ward and join the Telarans again? Would it be destroyed (unlike the Travel Stones, whose power was restored)?
    No doubt the Defiant will make a gunning for this magitechnology, but do you think (m)any of Orphiel's findings on the structure of the Planes will be important for it's functioning? I would hate to think he spent all that time sequestered in his tower for nothing.
    Is the Infinity Gate at all connected with the functionality of a Failsafe -- to preserve one Being between realities, times, and places?

So many questions, and all we can do is guess for now. =[
    Last edited by Morvick; 07-17-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

I wonder if this gate will be on Telara, or in another plane, like the plane of Air. Maybe it is what the first souls of Telara travelled though? and maybe we are all kinda endless :)
    Last edited by Mythue; 07-20-2012 at 07:42 AM.

It could be something similar to the gate in Rotp. I think they are both eithen (?) devices.
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I'm pretty sure if Crucia wants it, we'd want it too. It'll be interesting to see if we'll opt for destroying it or using it for our own gain. New tech seems to pop up everywhere, and I think perhaps even the Guardians might realize that they can't destroy every piece of tech out there.
    Perhaps the Infinity Gate can be manipulated to strengthen the ward? Or, maybe it can be turned into a beam of pulverizing-dragon power
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

The Guardians do have turrets and whatnot, Tasbag, it's sourcestone tech they want to beat with a stick.

Anywho. So very excited to find out about the infinity gate though if Crucia wants to use it, Guardians will probably want to er, safeguard it. Hnngh.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post

I'm wondering about the Infinity Gate, this odd device that supposedly allows travel between... where? The Planes? Slivers?
    Is it the only device that could persist between these realities? Who made it;
    Some articles are starting to appear now with regards to Storm Legion and some of the Lore...like this one :

The Infinity Gate

Amid the Steppes of Infinity there stands a massive ruin gazing up toward Crucia's storm-tossed sky. Floating impossibly above this structure is an intricate construct of interlocking lenses and disks, their surfaces covered with bas reliefs.

If scholars were to brave the Storm Legion forces patrolling the Steppes, they would say the ruin is capable of opening portals to other dimensions -- portals large enough to send armies marching through. This is the Infinity Gate, and sending an army through is just what Crucia has in mind.

In the height of their empire, the people of Brevane undertook grand construction projects called the God Engines. The most expensive and controversial of these was the Infinity Gate, through which the empire might explore and colonize the planes at its leisure.

When work had finished, folk gathered from across Brevane to watch the gate's activation. Raw energy arced between its floating lenses, dragging them into alignment. A tunnel of light shot from the structure, tearing open a portal in the sky... and the Blood Storm emerged, hungry, from the other side.

The energy and materials that were used to build the Infinity Gate had drawn the dark gods to Telara, and the gateway itself had given them a shortcut right to the heart of civilization. The dragons ripped the gate asunder and killed thousands, then set out in conquest of other lands. Only Crucia saw the value in the Infinity Gate, bidding her Storm Legion to secure the Steppes of Infinity.

Ever since, the Legion has worked to restore the Infinity Gate, bending the mysterious Architects into service of their cause. Crucia's release is imminent, and repairs are nearly complete. All that remains is to recover the Nexus Key and use it to align the hexagonal constructs. With the gate open, Crucia will call her remaining forces from across the universe and crush Telara, then lead the Storm Legion in conquest of all the Planes.

Unfortunately for Crucia, Regulos -- well aware of the gate's power -- sent his minions to besiege Dusken and retrieve the Nexus Key. Now, the Storm Legion is locked in battle with the Endless Court for control of both. The Ascended must secure the Infinity Gate and the Nexus Key if they hope to rid Telara of the dragons, or explore the planes themselves...
    Full article: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...nza/#continued

Plane Walker

Ill be curious how the Guardians handle this expac cause it sounds like its going to be very magitech heavy in lore. From the description Ive read of it the Infinity Gate is a massive magitech gate that allows access to the planes and the point through which the Bloodstorm invaded Telara to begin with.

I will be curious to see how this old civilisation interacted with the Gods. This would have been pre Bloodstorm War so this would have been before the Gods outlawed Magitech. If anything this might be a more interesting expac for the Guardians than the Defiants since the Guardians are going to have to come to terms with the history of both Telara and what their gods role was in it in what was clearly a very magitech intensive society.

It is ironic that they have added another example of large scale Magitech blowing up in a civilisation's face.

Trion have started adding Lore pages to the Storm Legion webiste:
    http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/lore/infinity-gate/

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    The Guardians do have turrets and whatnot, Tasbag, it's sourcestone tech they want to beat with a stick.

Anywho. So very excited to find out about the infinity gate though if Crucia wants to use it, Guardians will probably want to er, safeguard it. Hnngh.
    Yesyes, I know - Still, they might start disliking any kind of tech after seeing the infinity gate and it's potential horrors.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I'm most curious about its capabilities... if this Gate can supposedly move beings between dimensions with ease, is it safe to say the Ward can be bypassed?

Crucia's plan is to escape the (weakening) Ward through this Infinity Gate and use Telara as her throne of sorts (after she corrupts the planets' Nexus, maybe?).

Why couldn't the Infinity Gate let the Gods in, if it can let the Dragons out, much as the Dragons were let in during the Bloodstorm?

It would be really good to see specifics about the Gods and a validation of the Guardians' relationship to them, because it's fairly obvious (to me) what the Defiant story arc is going to be: "Here's an Infinity Gate, we can secure it to travel to the Planes and kick the Dragons where their souls are tethered. By mastering this technology and adopting our Ethian Magitech to it, we can master not only this world, but all the worlds, for ourselves and our future."

So what could the Guardians' motivations be? Remember that Cyril was hesitant to even travel to the River Of Souls, a "Holy place" as he said to Asha. What could he say about stumbling upon the Vigil's very transdimensional resting place? They persist between worlds just like the Infinity Gate, and remain unaffected by Time or Sliver. Surely they would have a word or two to share with their Guardian Faithful about harnessing a device that allows the transcendence of Spacetime. Might not even be "Don't do it", but what would intrigue me more is to see a common goal between Defiant and Vigil... after all, what God would hesitate to send an army to crush it's rivals?

The Vigil has a chance to send the Guardian Ascended Army marching across the Planes to crush the Bloodstorm and tame the Planes, much as Crucia would do, and not even the Defiant can resist the allure of ridding Telara of such persistent and pervasive threats. Could the Empyreans have had help, guidance, or appraisal from the Vigil to craft devices like this? Or does the Infinity Gate simply mimic that attribute of the Vigil and the Messenger -- to freely drift between realities?
    It is, after all, one among a class of devices called the "God Engines", the name lends itself, I think.
    Would we find Future Orphiel in there, too? Oh the possibilities when you introduce a wrinkle in time!
    Last edited by Morvick; 07-31-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Shadowlander

Edit: nvm. Basicly what Lutinz said. Me wanty more Brevane info.
    Last edited by Ziorhon; 07-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread