+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I was curious about something...

Default I was curious about something...

No offesnse but I was curious about something, why is every npc relationship hinted at in rift same sex? Looks they would mix it up a little, and put at least one or two opposet gender relationships, or am I missing something about the lore/culture? Not trolling just curious.

Maybe it's a reflection on the people who created and run Rift?

Or maybe it's an attempt to show everyone how "normal" and acceptable it is by over-doing it?

I just play the game...I dont get into the lore too much because frankly, I find it irrelevant and boring.
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 06-24-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Maybe thats the norm for defiants and opposet gender relationships are abnormal in there culture? They could use technolgy to reproduce? Strange but have seen more unusal things in games.
    Last edited by Questoften; 06-24-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Shyla and Hylas..?
    Laethys and Maelforge..?

OMG I just realized Shyla and Hylas are anagrams. Mind blown.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-24-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    ~Quiescent

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Questoften View Post
    No offesnse but I was curious about something, why is every npc relationship hinted at in rift same sex? Looks they would mix it up a little, and put at least one or two opposet gender relationships, or am I missing something about the lore/culture? Not trolling just curious.
    Uriel and whatsername, the Kelari assassin, is the only same-sex relationship I've noticed, what others are there?

As far as hetero relationships, Shyla and Hylas were lovers until the whole "ally with Greenscale and attempt to destroy civilization" thing came between them. And Asha from the Defiants and that big guy in charge of the Guardians are in the middle of their own Romeo and Juliet storyline... Sylver has the hots for Asha but she rejects him in one of the quests when you first go to Meridian, then back at the Ark of the Ascended you find a letter about her doomed relationship with the Guardian guy as part II of the quest.
    Last edited by Ancem; 06-24-2012 at 06:29 AM.

I must have been mistaken then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    you find a letter about her doomed relationship with the Guardian guy as part II of the quest.
    this is why i need to read quests, i thought asha and zareph had a thing, not cyril.. or are you talking about zareph?
    Last edited by xanduin246; 06-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    Uriel and whatsername, the Kelari assassin, is the only same-sex relationship I've noticed, what others are there?

As far as hetero relationships, Shyla and Hylas were lovers until the whole "ally with Greenscale and attempt to destroy civilization" thing came between them. And Asha from the Defiants and that big guy in charge of the Guardians are in the middle of their own Romeo and Juliet storyline... Sylver has the hots for Asha but she rejects him in one of the quests when you first go to Meridian, then back at the Ark of the Ascended you find a letter about her doomed relationship with the Guardian guy as part II of the quest.
    I like this hint at Sylver's unrequited love for Asha. Especiall the line that reads "Can't stop talking about him even though he's probably dead." Sylver just can't catch a break.

but yes, Xan, it's Asha and Zaraph who had a thing, not Asha and the current leader of Guardians (Cyril).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    this is why i need to read quests, i thought asha and zareph had a thing, not cyril.. or are you talking about zareph?
    I forget who was mentioned in the letter now... you find it under a bush near the bridge in Freemarch, it's "The King's Lady pt II." I guess it must be Zareph then? I find the Guardian side a little boring so I haven't paid much attention to the NPCs there.

When you do the quantum sight quest and you talk to alternate-Asha and her husband, I think he looks like the big guy standing in the temple at Sanctum with Shyla and the dwarf.
    Last edited by Ancem; 06-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Ascendant

Zareph and Asha grew up together in the court of Mathos. Zareph (and his brother, Aedraxis) were sons of the king, Asha was the daughter of a diplomat. I believe Alsbeth was there too. They were taught by Ophriel while they were young.

As they grew up, Asha and Zareph had a cute little flurtation going on, but I don't believe the actually ever dated seriously. She got expelled from Quick Silver College and joined the Dragonslayers, he continued to live in Mathos with his family. I believe they had a falling out.

Zareph's father died and there was civil unrest over who should be king. Aedraxis claimed it but Zaraph started to fight back once he realized that Aedraxis was working with Orphiel to build a machine that would open the ward. (Disclaimer: It is unclear if Orphiel knew Aedraxis' motives for building the machine. Possibly he only believe it would end the civil war)

Asha did return to help fight the shade, but she died shortly there after (her body is in the Guardian starting (past) zone). Zareph helped to fight and kill his brother and took up his place as king and moved his court from the now shattered Mathos to Port Scion.

About a year ago (well, two now - a year before starting the game) Aslbeth, who has been playing it quiet the whole time, made it possible for a deathrift to invade Port Scion. Zareph closed himself in side and hasn't been heard from since. Around the same time Asha was returned from the soul stream by Orphiel. That was the official breaking of Defiant and Guardian.

I love the lore in this game.. Such a compelling story.

You Meet Zareph in the Guardian starting area (if you go that way instead of right away downstairs)... he is HUGE with blond hair. They have a similar look Cyril and Zaraph. I understand the confusion.
    Last edited by Milyssa; 06-24-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Ascendant

I like how almost all the relationships in this game are subtle, subdued. They're there, but they take a back seat to the bigger threat; saving the world from the Planar Invaders and the Blood Storm.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

What about Brian and that sexy hot wife of his, whats-her-name, at the bank in Sanctum? I mean, clearly he's a nancy boy judging by his voice but she's a steamy little vixen!

Rift Chaser

Default Comic Book lore

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    Zareph and Asha grew up together in the court of Mathos. Zareph (and his brother, Aedraxis) were sons of the king, Asha was the daughter of a diplomat. I believe Alsbeth was there too. They were taught by Ophriel while they were young.

As they grew up, Asha and Zareph had a cute little flurtation going on, but I don't believe the actually ever dated seriously. She got expelled from Quick Silver College and joined the Dragonslayers, he continued to live in Mathos with his family. I believe they had a falling out.

Zareph's father died and there was civil unrest over who should be king. Aedraxis claimed it but Zaraph started to fight back once he realized that Aedraxis was working with Orphiel to build a machine that would open the ward. (Disclaimer: It is unclear if Orphiel knew Aedraxis' motives for building the machine. Possibly he only believe it would end the civil war)

Asha did return to help fight the shade, but she died shortly there after (her body is in the Guardian starting (past) zone). Zareph helped to fight and kill his brother and took up his place as king and moved his court from the now shattered Mathos to Port Scion.

About a year ago (well, two now - a year before starting the game) Aslbeth, who has been playing it quiet the whole time, made it possible for a deathrift to invade Port Scion. Zareph closed himself in side and hasn't been heard from since. Around the same time Asha was returned from the soul stream by Orphiel. That was the official breaking of Defiant and Guardian.

I love the lore in this game.. Such a compelling story.

You Meet Zareph in the Guardian starting area (if you go that way instead of right away downstairs)... he is HUGE with blond hair. They have a similar look Cyril and Zaraph. I understand the confusion.
    In the comic book that came with the Boxed CE, the final days of the mathosian civil war starts 80 years before the start of the game. In it it shows Asha bring a message from the dragonslayers ( and Orphiel) that they captured a member of the endless and the member claimed Aedraxis had given himself to Regulos. the next morning Aedraxis marched upon the fields of Stillmoor to attack Zareph's army ( with Alsbeth helping Zareph). the brothers fight and Aedraxis calls upon the power ofthe destroyer and thus releases The Shade upon Telara.

Shortly after this, the Vigil ascends those it deemed worthy: the guardian races, Cyril, Katia, Borin, Shyla. the "hero" of the Guardian intro story ( you) smashes Aedraxis corrupted body into pieces that fly all over telara ( the shards of Aedraxis that Marshall Kain is looking for) and you die for the 2nd time.

80 years pass by as the world becomes ravaged and barren by the planar invasions, during this time, Regulos plucks Asha out of the soulstream to ask her to be his new emissary and taunt her. Of course, she refuses and Orphiel uses a ethian Resurrection Forge to pluck from the Soulstream back into Telara proper.

Then it cuts to Port Scion, the stronghold of the Ascended Guardians, to show off Asha and have (living)Alsbeth convince Zareph to assault Meridian and take the Ethian device located within, albeit with MUCH arguing from Cyril. after a long fight scene in Meridian, we move to a short fight & retreat from Granite Falls as an earth invasion takes over and Zareph being very unhappy about this. Alsbeth tells Zareph, Cyril and Orphiel that the device they brought back repels and destroys all planar energy and creatures and they plan to use it at the Deepstrike Mines to protect the mines and seal the foothold in Granite Falls. Alssbeth says she can adapt the device to work with the rift shield of Port Scion and Zareph gives her permission to look in the vaults of Scion to get what she needs.

Asha and Katia's party head into DSM and find a large sourcestone deposit to use the device. Katia recieves a vision just as Asha activates the device and it opens a rift to the plane of death and a Harbinger of Alsbeth appears. Asha and Katia escape from the mines just in time to see a giant death rift formed over Port Scion, Asha opens a portal to take them back to Scion.

Zareph finds (still living) Alsbeth down in the vaults trying to get Regulos's heart as she opens the door with an undead she created. Zareph kills her and heads to the sourcestone courtyard to try and seal the rift summoned by the device brought back from Meridian. Alsbeth returns, now Regulos's champion, holding the bound heart of Regulos and asks Zareph to release the bindings. she attacks and wounds Zareph when Asha and Katia Join the fight, Asha and Alsbeth fight while Katia helps a wounded Zareph, until Katia turns on Asha and Alsbeth escapes.

Zareph finds a way to close the rift but it involves sacrificing his soul in order to contain it over Port Scion. Orphiel and Cyril argue outside Scion on King's Road and almost come to blows when Asha creates a portal out of there and takes Orphiel away. shortly after this ( days or months is hard to tell) Orphiel created his anchor in time and the Guardian ascended that died shattering the form of Regulos return to Silver Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Milyssa View Post
    Zareph and Asha grew up together in the court of Mathos. Zareph (and his brother, Aedraxis) were sons of the king, Asha was the daughter of a diplomat. I believe Alsbeth was there too.
    Yes, I believe she was adopted by the king. She then went onto enrol in Quicksilver college (seems everyone went there ).

Out of pity, Queen Lenia Mathos offered Alsbeth shelter in the court of King Jostir
    It was not until she attended Quicksilver College that Alsbeth began to emerge from her shell. She distinguished herself and gained a voice as her accomplishments bolstered her in the eyes of the professors and other students. While she had few friends, she did attract many followers. Only Asha Catari was as well-known as Alsbeth (as much for rebellion as for brilliance), and once Asha was expelled, Alsbeth took sole reign over the school.
    http://uk.riftgame.com/en/world/nota...es/alsbeth.php
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Questoften View Post
    No offesnse but I was curious about something, why is every npc relationship hinted at in rift same sex?
    [citation needed]

Shyla/Hylas: Unless you know something the rest of us don't, I am pretty sure they are not same sex.
    Asha/Zareph: Ditto.
    Kira/Uriel: One canon same-sex couple.
    Poor Tom/Wife: Opposite-sex, presumably. (They had kids.)

I can't think of a lot of others. Sylver's into Asha, but she's not into him, so I don't think that counts as a couple.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast