+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NPC question (founders of the souls)

Default NPC question (founders of the souls)

Are there NPC's like Corthana Wyvernjack in the world? I mean people who laid the foundations for the souls we have? I would really really like it if they had a quest or something no matter how insignificant.
    "What if it is He, pushing us down with his Noodly Appendages, that causes this force?...And the fact that the Gravitational powers of the Spaghetti Monster haven't been disproven makes it all the more likely to be true."

- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Ooh. I know this one. There used to be quests. In the starting area, you spoke with the NPCs to pick your "first soul" to bind with. As you progressed through, you gained another. By the time you made your way to your capitol, you were ready to gain a third.

At that point, you talked to the NPCs scattered about your city with the appropriate soul title, and were given a quest to take an item to a rift. Upon clearing the rift, you could activate the item, fight the progenitor soul, and make its power your own (unlocking it as a potential selection).

This was removed when the "suggested paths" were introduced, rendering some of the dialogue in the starting areas redundant/incorrect and removing the purpose for the NPCs all over your capitol. Everyone now has access to every soul attached to their calling from character generation on.

I remeber that, so we did meet them at that time?
    I didn't even know.. Thanks for the answer!
    "What if it is He, pushing us down with his Noodly Appendages, that causes this force?...And the fact that the Gravitational powers of the Spaghetti Monster haven't been disproven makes it all the more likely to be true."

- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintyre View Post
    Ooh. I know this one. There used to be quests. In the starting area, you spoke with the NPCs to pick your "first soul" to bind with. As you progressed through, you gained another. By the time you made your way to your capitol, you were ready to gain a third.

At that point, you talked to the NPCs scattered about your city with the appropriate soul title, and were given a quest to take an item to a rift. Upon clearing the rift, you could activate the item, fight the progenitor soul, and make its power your own (unlocking it as a potential selection).

This was removed when the "suggested paths" were introduced,
    Not quite.

First, it was removed and replaced with "starting around level 10, you can buy the souls you don't have". Then, later, that was removed and replaced with "you just have all the souls to begin with".
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

Even still, I don't think the NPC's we got our souls from were the actual NPC's mentioned in the history books about those souls.

I think those people, who owned the original souls, lived long before our NPC's did. Some were part of the original bloodstorm wars. Others lived in that general time period. (Bladedancer for one)

Plane Walker

I remember having to use a net as well, and that the souls came through a death rift.

I remember the soul quests. It provided a unique lore of meeting past powerful "class" souls and by defeating them in combat you gained the power of that class.

Then people complained about having to travel to rifts, close them, and then spawn these class NPCs. (aka the WoW generation QQ I want everything now and not have to work for it) Then like seebs said they moved to where you could still do the quests or you could buy them... then it moved to just buy them... and now have them all.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahoudun View Post
    I remeber that, so we did meet them at that time?
    I didn't even know.. Thanks for the answer!
    Yes and no.....basically you would summon their "ghost" which had been enslaved by Regulos after their death. You would fight them and free them at which point they would grant you access to their knowledge.

*sigh* I so miss those quests......*put on elderly mage outfit* "Back in MY day, we had to EARN our souls, they weren't just handed out willy-nilly like you kids get these days...." hehe

Default Bring back the soul quests!

Those were sooooo awesomely fun and lore-engaging. Bring them back. Did Trion ever even say why they were removed? I EARNED my souls, dammit! Kids these days...

I had heard that the reason they were taken out was because too many people were complaining about them

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GothWulfe View Post
    I had heard that the reason they were taken out was because too many people were complaining about them
    Confused, more like -- maybe you never saw 10-19 Chat completely inundated with "Where are the Soul Questgivers?" "What level do you start the Soul Quests?" "How many are there?" "Oh I have to close a Rift? Crap".
    They were still great little storylines and it was nice to hear the lore of the Soul itself.

My hope is with 4 new Souls (1 per calling) in Storm Legion, we might be treated to a Calling Chronicle (or 9) that explains the history of your particular collection of souls. If not, well, we lost a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Holy crow! I wish I'd joined this game sooner. That sounds like a friggen AWESOME way to gain a new soul. Sad that it got removed.

Morvick, I like that idea a lot.
    Beahrkub Cleric | Tanreal Rogue | Lauriel Mage | Khetra Warrior | Bearkub Rogue | Bjornn Mage
    <TheSpectrum Order> Faeblight LGBT
    | Rognar Warrior | Bjormir Rogue Deepwood

Plane Touched

Actually, it was pretty tiresome. You could only ever take one of these quests at a time, so you took one, ran out into Silverwood (or Freemarch), finished a rift and the quest, ran back to Capital, got next quest etc. I think you also had to finish the rift completely to get the gem, and back then the rifts were harder (always an elite at the third stage, and the final one).

Still, I too liked the quests. Just wish they could have made them a bit more user-friendly.

I think they had it right in the middle, you still earn you first 3 souls in starter zone, but none of the in the earlist stuff with dffucult quests. Then again there is a charm to the way it is now, the ascended came into being, are risen as ascended with all souls. That kind of makes sense. Less imersion breaking than buying souls at a vendor.

There was something fun about cracking Ekkehard's head with a mace to get his Shaman powers....

+ Reply to Thread