+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Orphiel in the defiant starting zone

Default Orphiel in the defiant starting zone

so i was getting my alt out of the defiant starting area when something hit me orphiel is nowhere to be found..... so... where is he? is he dead??

Champion

You can try asking him about it back in the past, but don't expect too much.

Plane Walker

Well for guardians he is starting some trouble there. Basically hes a pretty dark figure. Then again the defiant are all about rebelling against the light so what better then a man whose motivations probably involve more so using the defiant to further his own goals? Not saying your being used, just saying if he WAS using you, he had gotten quite a bit of his monies worth out of you to further his end.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Purutzil View Post
    Well for guardians he is starting some trouble there. Basically hes a pretty dark figure. Then again the defiant are all about rebelling against the light so what better then a man whose motivations probably involve more so using the defiant to further his own goals? Not saying your being used, just saying if he WAS using you, he had gotten quite a bit of his monies worth out of you to further his end.
    Way to totally miss Defiant motivations.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveria View Post
    so i was getting my alt out of the defiant starting area when something hit me orphiel is nowhere to be found..... so... where is he? is he dead??
    missing. 14yrs from present day Telara Orphiel goes missing without a trace

edit: Terminus is 20 yrs in the future
    Last edited by Glamour; 06-13-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Plane Walker

As stated above Orphiel vanished. Why and what that ment both for that timeline and ours is open to alot of speculation as is the individual himself. Orphiel is one of the most mysterious and shady characters in the game as well as one of the most knowledgeful and brilliant. I

t seems lilkely that he knows alot more than he lets on even to his own people. In many ways, Orphiel is playing his own game and we only have hints on what it is. Ive said this before but he is quite possibly one of Telara's greatest villians or one of it's greatest protectors. Or maybe even both. Its impossible to tell at this point.

I hope we're going have some quest (maybe epic) to learn more about Orphiel and his motivations. Maybe he travelled to one of the planes (maybe the plane of death) in a last attempt to stop the destruction of Telara?
    The necromancer spells and pets must get stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Purutzil View Post
    lol ok

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    As stated above Orphiel vanished. Why and what that ment both for that timeline and ours is open to alot of speculation as is the individual himself. Orphiel is one of the most mysterious and shady characters in the game as well as one of the most knowledgeful and brilliant. I

t seems lilkely that he knows alot more than he lets on even to his own people. In many ways, Orphiel is playing his own game and we only have hints on what it is. Ive said this before but he is quite possibly one of Telara's greatest villians or one of it's greatest protectors. Or maybe even both. Its impossible to tell at this point.
    Yep probably both.
    The good one = yay Defiants!
    The bad one = RAID BOSS RAWR

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Pera View Post
    I hope we're going have some quest (maybe epic) to learn more about Orphiel and his motivations. Maybe he travelled to one of the planes (maybe the plane of death) in a last attempt to stop the destruction of Telara?
    Maybe though I dont know what good that would have done. Theres alot of things we dont know about that world like how the ward colapsed exactly so guessing is hard. Perhaps he was captured by Regulos trying to stop the colapse or perhaps one of his experiments caused the collapse in the first place and he used the failsafe himself. Either could be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Ive said this before but he is quite possibly one of Telara's greatest villians or one of it's greatest protectors. Or maybe even both. Its impossible to tell at this point.
    Honestly, it sort of seems like he is on his own side here. I think he might be playing a Xanatos Gambit, with a higher goal than that of the Defiant themselves.

Rift Master

I just thought of something giving it some thought after reading this. What if the Regulos we fight in the future, in Terminus, is Orphiel? When we activate the failsafe doesn't something go "wrong" and that's why Alsbeth and Regulos show up in the first place? What if what went wrong is that Orphiel/Regulos set up some kind of homing beacon to let him know if his failsafe was activated, and he showed up to thwart us?

It is kind of weird that he's nowhere to be seen in the future. I also like the idea that he has something up his sleeve that nobody is aware of.. the Xanatos Gambit exactly; remember during the Water Saga when you see the crazed visions he's all like "What have I seen from my little tower? What secrets do I know? Mwa-ha-ha". What if those were visions from a future timeline and not just mad whispers of Akylios?

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Default Here's what we know: Yeah, that was it.

While I hope we get concrete answers in the Storm Legion Exp-Pack, the best we know about his where-abouts is that he's floating through time.

At some point between the Present and Terminus (Defiant starting time), Orphiel disappears without a trace. The Guardian Ascended player can get Omen Sight after level 50, and upon looking around Sanctum with this new ability, sees Orphiel Farwind maniacally experimenting on Sanctum's "village idiot", Poor Tom. Turns out Poor Tom isn't actually a moron, but has his brain boiled by Orphiel 24/7 and, as a side-effect, can see all instances (Slivers) of Time. It's driven him mad.

That Orphiel seems a lot more evil and renegade than the Free-With-Rules Orphiel who graces the Defiant Faction in the bulk of the game, so either something really snaps in this guy to make him decide that abandoning the war on Telara is worth it, or he truly believes this is the best way to help everyone (by attempting to master Time and Space in a way that only the Messengers of the Vigil have proven capable of). Present Day Orphiel will tell the Defiant player, "How strange. I assure you that I have no intention of leaving."

Future-Orphiel makes note that he can see the Vigil Gods, and remarks how they are not bound by conventional rules of Place and Moment. Where the rest of Telara is filled with Slivers and alternate realities, there is only one reality of the Gods (and that's probably the reality Orphiel and the Messengers occupy). They permeate all alternate universes, though none of this has been explained in detail quite yet... but I imagine Trion linking it to the Eternity Gate(s) mentioned during the Storm Legion trailers -- stable/permanent gateways to the Planes?

As for his motivations, I wouldn't be surprised if Future Orphiel Farwind was responsible for starting up the Nightfall Faction -- Ascend higher and abandon the shackles of mortality along with the troubles of this world.
    Last edited by Morvick; 07-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Master

What makes me trust Orphiel even less is that Poor Tom keeps talking about how Orphiel ("The Magician") caused the timestream to change to where we are now. The bits I've picked up indicate that either the present time or another sliver was a time where the Guardians defeated Regulos, but Orphiel creating the Defiant Ascended and sending them back in time broke that timestream and left us with uncertainty like we have now.

That could just be tossed in there as pro-Guardian propaganda, but it seems we have these possible timelines known and who knows how many more:

1) Present day, with both Guardian and Defiant Ascended, which could have been either #2 or #3 if the Defiant PCs weren't here.
    2) A timeline, according to Poor Tom, where Guardians defeated Regulos and there were no Defiant Ascended, so presumably the Defiant were wiped out. This timeline seems to be hinted as the one that was changed due to Orphiel's Failsafe sending Defiant back in time.
    3) Terminus/Defiant starting zone, the reality where the Guardians defeated the Defiant but failed to stop Regulos
    4) Drowned Halls timeline; presumably Guardian+Defiant defeated all dragons other than Akylios who overpowered them.
    5) Fall of Lantern Hook timeline; same as DH but substitute Maelforge for Akylios
    6) Primeval Feast timeline; same as DH but substitute Greenscale.
    7) Gilded Prophecy timeline; present day with Golden Maw having a way to revive Laethys at full power?
    8) Rise of the Phoenix; Wanton attempt to change history

From Poor Tom's ramblings it seems like Orphiel keeps messing with the timeflow and changing things He mentions that he used to have a family, but not anymore; that the Guardians defeated Regulos, but that was changed; that "the time that never was" has come back to haunt him (Defiant Ascended/Terminus?), and a myriad of other things that indicate the current timeline is NOT what it was intended to be, and is being modified.
    Last edited by wayne62682; 07-15-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Rift Master

Basically the point is that it seems that, contrary to belief, the Defiant starting zone is not the actual future of Telara without Defiant Ascended, it's one of many possible futures, with the primary other future (also not going to happen now) being that the Guardians overcame the Blood Storm after sacking Meridian.

So Defiant Ascended aren't from "the future", they're from "another reality" that happened to be in a Telara that failed; it would be no different if they came from the Fall of Lantern Hook timeline to stop Maelforge, instead of Regulos.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I think the same thing, generally. In a future of Telara, the Guardians beat the Defiants and everyone was then wiped out by Regulos. This is the history the Defiant bring back with them to the "Now".

However, by principle that future cannot ever happen again, no matter what the Defiant do: that future had no Defiant Ascended, therefore it's unconnected to the new "sliver" generated by the activation of the Failsafe.

The present-day Guardians and Defiants are all treading an unbeaten path, the future(s) of which (presumably) only the Vigil and Orphiel have any understanding of.
    (Orphiel tells the Guardian PC how fascinating it is to look upon the Vigil Gods, to learn that they are some of the few beings/things that are consistent and constant across all Slivers of Telara)

So, what happens to Orphiel? I ask in return, which one? :P
    Last edited by Morvick; 07-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast