+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DId i see that right?

Default DId i see that right?

I've read both Defiant and Guardian lore, but missed what I heard in the intro video today. The Guardians may have failed, prompting the Defiants to send us back in time, but...

Didn't the Defiants get us into this mess in the first place? The intro video states that they were trying to harness the powers of the dragons, and created the rift phenomenon.

so...The Defiants are the ones that got us into this mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Theskal View Post
    I've read both Defiant and Guardian lore, but missed what I heard in the intro video today. The Guardians may have failed, prompting the Defiants to send us back in time, but...

Didn't the Defiants get us into this mess in the first place? The intro video states that they were trying to harness the powers of the dragons, and created the rift phenomenon.

The Guardians, of course blame the Defiant or suspect them to have meddled and made things worse, but the Defiant see it differently.

The Defiant do not care whether the gods abandoned the world or not. To them, this entire planar convergence disaster is the gods' fault in the first place. Indeed, as soon as things went from bad to worse, the gods suddenly and inexplicably disappeared. So while the Guardians run around Telara building temples, sticking their noses in everyone's business, and desperately praying for a miracle, the Defiant plan on actually delivering one, even if it means being branded as heretics and operating outside the laws of the land.
    -source

While little is known about the exact nature of the rifts, Telaran scholars, priests, and historians strive to unlock the mysteries of these massive portals. It is believed that the rifts are being caused by direct attacks on the magical Ward surrounding Telara. Regulos, the dragon god of extinction, seeks to free his imprisoned minions of the Blood Storm trapped deep inside Telara. These attacks weaken the veil and cause planar disruptions that open the destructive rifts across the world.

Often, rifts appear in the world as a tear in the fabric of reality. Powerful magic has been used to study these anomalies, and sometimes they have been opened inadvertently, resulting in great tragedy. But there is still much to learn from these destructive forces. Can riftic power be harnessed by sorcery? Can powerful beings enter the rifts to venture into the deadly planes beyond? How many planes really exist?

With rifts, only one thing is certain if they are not stopped, the world of Telara will surely end
    -source

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theskal View Post

Lore based facts ... tell us that the mess was created by Aedraxis, king of Mathosia. He was at the time of fracturing the ward ... a leader of the "Endless Court" (Regulos' worshipers).

The guardians belief of the Defiants 'starting the mess' is based on the fact that Aedraxis was using the Eth and Bahmi to help him in his fight against Zarph (his brother). That steamrolled into the loss of Port Scion, which they blamed on the Ethian machinery. A debate can be made that the Guardians have a very hazey view of what went down!

The defiants view goes back into the history of the world ... when the Blood Storm arrived, they ruled over the world for a very long time. So they see it as ... where the heck were the gods, then! More recently the term 'Defiant' doesn't really stick until Orphiel and his followers are kicked out of Port Scion. They know that Aedraxis was a pawn of Regulos, in fact they told the Guardians he was.

So, I guess what it comes down to is ... The guardains belief of the Defiants getting us into this mess is biased ... where as the Defiants know that Regulos used Aedraxis to cause the mess!

Taking the discussion any further then that leads to ... why do they hate each other than!?!?!

Hope that helped.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

helped a lot. I'm playing Guardian on my PvP toon, but I like the Defiant lore. I also like twisted plots, intrigue, and finding out why certain groups of people function the way they do.

By the looks of it to me... both the Guardians and the Defiant are at fault at some point or another at causing the whole mess and Rifts... which is what i like to see... something more closely resembling the truth (granted i know this is a game) ... its not black and white but a lovely shade of gray...

-Ardure

Quote Originally Posted by Ardure View Post
    By the looks of it to me... both the Guardians and the Defiant are at fault at some point or another at causing the whole mess and Rifts... which is what i like to see... something more closely resembling the truth (granted i know this is a game) ... its not black and white but a lovely shade of gray...

-Ardure
    ^ QFT. I also see it as both sides being at fault, as both sides have groups who gave themselves over to the Blood Storm - otherwise it wouldn't have been quite as "easy" for the Dragon Cults to get their hands on Eth technologies to corrupt and break the ward with. Despite propaganda in the lore on both sides, I believe the Dragon Cults had to make some serious changes to the Eth machines to make them break the ward that quickly. And I really believe that the "fallen" on both sides worked together to accomplish this in their play for power.

Is it possible this use of sourcestone might have eventually done it anyway? Sure, but likely it wouldn't have been as quickly or as dramatically, and there would have been some indication over that time that the ward was getting weaker and weaker, rather than it being blasted apart. The information about the Ward that's out right now hasn't really pointed out any degradation to the Ward itself until the Dragon Cult's stolen tech destroyed it in a rather immediate fashion.

So yes, I agree - the shades of gray are awesome, and a breath of fresh are from the good vs. evil mechanic that the majority of MMOs use. =)

+ Reply to Thread