+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Third Rock from the Sun?

Default Third Rock from the Sun?

I know this may not sound like something important, but my guild was having a majorly long theory discussion just now about the solar and lunar cycles of Telara and all of our theories just led to more questions, and here they are:

1.) Are the lunar and solar cycles the same on Telara as they are on Earth?
    2.) If so, why is it always seeming bright daylight at random odd times of night and blackened dark skies during the day randomly?
    3.) Are there 1 sun and 1 moon, or more than that?
    4.) I read somewhere that there are the same amount of days in a year on Telara as on Earth. True?
    5.) Number of days does not equal number of hours IN a day, so I was just deeply curious how many hours there were in a full cycle of Telara? Just for my own personal curiosity's sake.

Thank you very much!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=24085

Q: How long is the day and night cycle in the game?

Hartsman: Seven hours. We intentionally don't have day and night quests. One of the things we're in the process of doing right now is deciding exactly how much of that seven hours is day and how much of it is night. Right now the way our world is set up, the day period and the night period are even. We're skewing it a little more toward daylight hours and more dawn and dusk hours and a little less pure night, because pure night in MMOs tends to be too dark to be fun.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Personally I wish it would got to server time and day or night accordingly if you were in that time zone as well as seasons coordinated. Basically the game would replicate the weather and daylight hours of the US west Coast - preferably Santa Maria and south to avoid much snow except in IPP area as it is now. Now DL having earthquakes would be nice - desert, so-cal, shaky - it works :P
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Rift Chaser

please no on the 24h in-game day.

I work 9-5 (if I'm lucky, 9-9 if I'm not), I would never get to RP in the day.

-Kinda sorta.

2.) If so, why is it always seeming bright daylight at random odd times of night and blackened dark skies during the day randomly?
    -Gameplay mechanic. Trion doesn't want it to be a 24-h cycle that WoW has. That's all. They changed this in alpha/beta testing.

-Unclear. We can assume at least one of each. I haven't played enough attention to this, sorry

4.) I read somewhere that there are the same amount of days in a year on Telara as on Earth. True?
    -Kinda sorta.

5.) Number of days does not equal number of hours IN a day, so I was just deeply curious how many hours there were in a full cycle of Telara? Just for my own personal curiosity's sake.
    -Kinda sorta our own on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Personally I wish it would got to server time and day or night accordingly if you were in that time zone as well as seasons coordinated. Basically the game would replicate the weather and daylight hours of the US west Coast - preferably Santa Maria and south to avoid much snow except in IPP area as it is now. Now DL having earthquakes would be nice - desert, so-cal, shaky - it works :P
    I hated this in WoW.

With a bloody passion.

I can usually only play past 8-9pm until 2-3am, so I'm basically playing in the dark the whole time, whether I go by EST or western or whatever.

It's VERY annoying.

Rift does it about right for me, at least personally.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Netherstorm View Post
    I know this may not sound like something important, but my guild was having a majorly long theory discussion just now about the solar and lunar cycles of Telara and all of our theories just led to more questions, and here they are:

Thank you very much!
    The cosmology in Telara is MUCH different from ours. Telara exists at the nexus of the planes. The planes, for the most part, take the place of "space".

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    The cosmology in Telara is MUCH different from ours. Telara exists at the nexus of the planes. The planes, for the most part, take the place of "space".
    No. At least as far as I can tell. Orphiel's scope is special.

There are other planets. The ogres came from one. It wasn't the Plane of Earth, but it was closer to it than other planets (like Telara is close to all 6). http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/not...es/laethys.php

I'd say that there is 'space' (just not in how we imagine it here), and planets, and this all makes up the 'Plane of the Nexus' of sorts - the meeting points between the other planes. Telara is SO special because it exists ON the Nexus itself, and really in every single way, it is the center of a multi-planar conflict. Only the Ward keeps it from currently collapsing in on itself in war at this point.

But yeah, other planets likely can and do exist. The Planes themselves might have many 'planets' - one for fae, one for overgrowth, etc for Life. I just think that 'space' kinda exists, but isn't important in the Rift world when one can slip through dimensional portals.

My point is that the Planes are NOT space, but rather entirely different forms of existence. Not even parallel universes - but well, planes of universal existence. I'm almost sure Telara has a sun, etc.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 06-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks for the kind responses! I was getting fairly confused!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

+ Reply to Thread