+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NPC names and foreign languages

Shadowlander

Default NPC names and foreign languages

Do you test your lore for odd, silly and offensive consonances on foreign languages? For example, I would recommend to rename Doron Sisko, the banker, to Doron Somethingelse -- if you plan to have russian-speaking players in your game world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brammator View Post
    Do you test your lore for odd, silly and offensive consonances on foreign languages? For example, I would recommend to rename Doron Sisko, the banker, to Doron Somethingelse -- if you plan to have russian-speaking players in your game world.
    I tried translating 'sisko' back and forth and got nothing. Not sure what is offensive about the name but it is a common name. Bejamin Sisko from the star trek series for example... I don't think Gene Rodenberry offended any russians...

~Neno

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Neno_Masaki View Post
    I tried translating 'sisko' back and forth and got nothing. Not sure what is offensive about the name but it is a common name. Bejamin Sisko from the star trek series for example... I don't think Gene Rodenberry offended any russians...

~Neno
    This particular example isn't offensive (for me, at least) but just silly. It sounds like 'Doron Boobsy' if you want translation. I asked devs about it in general.

There's so many different langugaes, its hard to test them all for possible silly or offensive words, ESPECIALLY if they're colloquial or slang.

Rift-News! Check us out!

You can do basic testing of names when translating into different languages. Some NPC names are comic take-offs of movie, book, comic characters. Even quests can have a flavor of a Benny Hill. Not all will be translatable in a different language. In those cases, the names and quest dialogue are changed to suit the country and language.

All games that are world wide, do get full translations into the different languages, not just names but dialogue, quest information, game information and even forums all in the preferred language.

For those who are multi-lingual, I'm sure they are quite aware of many customs and satire. And if not, they are tolerant knowing it's a US thang!

Quote Originally Posted by Brammator View Post
    This particular example isn't offensive (for me, at least) but just silly. It sounds like 'Doron Boobsy' if you want translation. I asked devs about it in general.
    I wish I was multilingual just on the chance I could come across a name like this. That burst of laughter felt good! I'm sure it would be easier to find and change such names through having players /petition, /feedback, etc. than trying to reference every name against so many languages.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Chipossabuns View Post
    I wish I was multilingual just on the chance I could come across a name like this. That burst of laughter felt good! I'm sure it would be easier to find and change such names through having players /petition, /feedback, etc. than trying to reference every name against so many languages.
    It's funny for the first 10 times, but think of situation you need to tell somebody via voicechat to wait near banker named.. oops, darling, push kids out of room. It may be much worse -- some words are banned, not just silly, like infamous Drizzt Do'Urden.

Do you plan to roll a kelari? Feel free to await "basement" and "cellar" jokes from greek and finnish players. I hope beta will fix enough of that, but also would suggest at least some google magic at word creation (and still hope to get some word from devs about caring/not caring)

We definitely endeavor to make sure our names are not offensive or silly. Obviously we all have a limited set of languages we are familiar with intimately enough to know, and if it is brought forward to our attention, we'll see to it that it is changed.
    Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc
    "I learned at a very young age that the world is full of people who are terrified by knowledge and the power it bestows to the individual. Freedom is to be seized by those with the courage to think for themselves." - Asha Catari

http://www.twitter.com/missdoomcookie

Can completely understand why these sorts of names that occasionally translate to a diferent meaning in someone elses language can be uncomfortable for people who's first language it may be, however i do have to admit as someone who's only language is English (and i dont even do very well at that!) i do find myself amused when i hear about them.

A recent example was during the Aion Beta, when one of our German speaking members pointed out that some mobs in Morheim had an interesting double meaning. Dont remember the actual mob names, but they translated to a slang word that meant the mobs were effectively called something along the lines of "Ruthless Female Genitalia"

Shadowlander

One of the funniest moments in my Eq2 career was when I realised that all the faes in Kelethin had Finnish names. Specially when I noticed the little fae girls with very maskuline male names

That was a fun day.

I think you should try to check as many names as possible but consider using names from other languages too. You will make someone very happy that way.

+ Reply to Thread