+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lutinz

Thread: This is Orphiel

Default This is Orphiel

Here we go. This warrants its own topic.

Read this http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Orphiel = Tesla
    Sylver = Marconi (yes I fully expect there to be a rift between the two of them at some point. This stuff happesn)
    Cyril and Aedraxis = the stuff Edison does

This is the Defiant perspective. "We have our private lab finally to do what we all want, and without a crazy *** king to manipulate us. It's a shame we have to patrol the entire world with a small army, just so Guardians don't cross our bridge and kill us all and allow Regulos to possess them and devour the world. Sigh. Now let's do some experiments!"

RIFT Community Ambassador Maelystra's Avatar

Well idk...I think Sylver has some Tesla in him. Plus he's definitely under appreciated by the Defiant leadership :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maelystra View Post
    Well idk...I think Sylver has some Tesla in him. Plus he's definitely under appreciated by the Defiant leadership :P
    Yes. We will see this in time. The Defiants will 'outgrow' Orphiel, and Sylver will be at the front of a new direction in magitech. Asha would continue to martial the military arm (though Zareph stuff might pop in..), and the racial leaders will get they own spotlights over time. We had Anthosia, and will likely have Rahn soonish, and Kasper and such as well.

Sylvers direction on magitech may not be as widespread as the Ethian empire, but just may become more potent and useful than anything seen before - why? Because he has living Ascended to work with, and a Kelari/elven, instead of human mind. Kelari/elves don't fall just because they are 'bad'. They have no innate temptation towards evil, unless they are planar-corrupted (Life/Fire for example). Humans though, they are more random expressions of the Vigil's design, and can be quite power hungry. Sylver will likely lack the lust for ultimate power that Orphiel seems to have, and this will be a good thing.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Kelari/elves don't fall just because they are 'bad'. They have no innate temptation towards evil, unless they are planar-corrupted (Life/Fire for example).
    Where did you get this idea from? Hylas is a bad example. The Fae how 'corrupted' him said he didnt really even have to try. Hylas was already pretty dubious and power hungry right from the start. There was not magical or manipulative mind control involved. Hylas was offered the change and dived straight in.

Id also point out the Defiant are far from innocent victims who just want to be left alone either.

As for Orphiel, he will either turn out to be one of Telara's greatest and most subtle villians, one of its greatest and most pragmatic protectors or maybe both at the same time.
    Last edited by Lutinz; 06-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Where did you get this idea from? Hylas is a bad example. The Fae how 'corrupted' him said he didnt really even have to try. Hylas was already pretty dubious and power hungry right from the start. There was not magical or manipulative mind control involved. Hylas was offered the change and dived straight in.

Id also point out the Defiant are far from innocent victims who just want to be left alone either.

As for Orphiel, he will either turn out to be one of Telara's greatest and most subtle villians, one of its greatest and most pragmatic protectors or maybe both at the same time.
    I at least have the feeling that the elves have more affinity to sourcestone, *overall as a race*, than other races. High Elves may be closer to Life, and Kelari to Fire, but both, I just...have the nagging feeling here, seem to be beings that just have a natural disposition to drifting towards planar/sourcestone aspects without even realizing it. I know other races do this too, but I think that it takes more effort. As such, I think the Vigil/Tavril have a real interest in keeping the High Elves pure - and Shyla is the symbol (a meh one imo, but still a symbol) of this part of what is 'High Elf'.
    The Kelari are thus seen as completely anti-High Elf, as they seem to seek a purity BY being around Telaran elemental spirits. I'd think the High Elves spurn that as a rather ultimate corruption of their race.

Everything I've seen lore related seems to indicated that it was only when Shyla left Hylas for Mathosia, that Hylas starte to become the snotty, cruel, ruler we know now. He pretty much stewed in his keep for 18 more years, without her, and probably became subtly influenced by the corrupt fae over time. When he had the choice to become corrupted, he dove right in because he was already long gone. I don't see how this contradicts my content in the previous paragraph.
    Basically, what I'm saying is that the Elves, overall, are the biggest examples of the extremes of 'purity' and 'completely corrupt' within a race. It's probably their nature, and symbolic of the entire Guardians' theme of the most pure falling to the deepest depths, or at least being threatened to. All I suggest is that the High Elves were created by the Vigil/Tavril as the most pure race on Telara, and that would naturally relate to sourcestone, and that, to the Planes. *You don't need much to corrupt a High Elf*, when they have their guard down. When their guard is up, they are the biggest paragons of purity.

"Wardens of all life, the Elves were unprepared to pay the toll of duty. It was not the Bloodstorm that whittled away their numbers, nor any war with the other races, but the many temptations of the world. First, the fiery Kelari broke the covenant, following their passions and conflicts to distant islands. Then, as the other mortal races built great cities, more and more Elves forsook their calling, laid aside the warden’s burden, and settled down to live easy, peaceful lives."

Secondly, I recognize this about the Defiants. They are, infact, all dealing with corruption. ...key word, 'dealing'. The Guardians face corruption in their ranks, and it tends to take them off guard, but with justice, they cut it down. The Defiants all know that they have a dirty history, so they prepare for it in a practical sense, and work towards what they see as a better future. The Eth know that the Empire got to big for its britches (mostly). The Kelari know that they entrusted too much towards spirits that seem to fall easily to corruption (mostly). The Bahmi know that they are still rather alien to Telara and that they ought to move forward and join the community of the world (mostly). The struggles between the traditional and progressive sides of the Defiant races are clear, but the overall message is that the races should recognize their history and tradition (as well as mistakes), but should also move forward into creating a world which didn't make the mistakes of the past.

So no, the Defiants and their races (but even the faction as a whole) does NOT have its hands clean. The only big pro is that they know it, and recognize future problems when they arise.
    Guardians tend to be somewhat aware of future problems, but are mostly occupied with the issues of the present, and especially of the past. This is very necessary, as without the Guardians doing this, the world would have already fallen. Imagine if the Guardians never organized on Sanctum and the Defiants had Ascended and free reign over Telara? Ha! I'm sure the Defiants would never show the limited amount of restraint that they do have, and would just endeavor to become a new Empire outright.
    The Guardians are a 'check' upon Telara - the Watchmen. But yeah, 'who watches the Watchmen' when they go evil? That's what Terminus is about.

Thirdly, I completely agree about Orphiel. Personally, I think there will different forms of Orphiel; good ones, bad ones, chaotic ones (in a big way) and peaceful ones. At least, I ideally imagine the lore headed that way at some point dowwwwnnn the line.

Plane Walker

Well Orpheal is a ludite and religious zealot in one sliver world apparently. That was one of the funniest sets of Twisted artifacts.

As for the elves Im not sure. The impression I got from the Life saga is that the seeds of Hylas's fall were already there. The moment furtile ground for those seeds appeared he lept straight in. As for Shyla, again one of the interesting aspects about her is her struggle with depression and loss combined with the pressure of her role. I found it interesting in the Greenscale Blight Chronicle to see her become somewhat bitter and thorny. It was a rather different face to the Shyla we see early on.

Also note that the vision of Shyla the Fallen in the Sanctum says that she fell to Regulos through despair and loss. Something like he beat them with a thousand small cuts. These things make me think that emotional state and selfishness can lead elves just as quickly to evil and corruption as it can humans. After all for all his flaws Kain was supposed to have been a if not good man, an honorable, fair and upright man before his fall.

Plane Walker

I think the best discription of what the roles of the different factions in the story are was:

The Defiants are here to save Telara.

The Guardians are here to make sure Telar survives the process of being saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post

Not only this but the mere fact some Elves now call themselves "High Elves" is evidence they have issues. Basically some elves moved to Mathosian "civilization" and enjoyed living in peaceful towns and villages. With what one could easily call hubris those elves that remained in the wilds took to referring to themselves as "High Elves." The "regular" Elves have done nothing bad, violent or even vaguely evil, they just wanted to live in a comfy Tudor style house but this somehow makes them innately "lesser". Hubris like this can lead down two paths. Path one at their core decent people but rather "haughty" or power made people empowered by their superiority complex.

. Then, as the other mortal races built great cities, more and more Elves forsook their calling, laid aside the warden’s burden, and settled down to live easy, peaceful lives.

The rise of the High

Those who still held to their task called themselves the High Elves. They kept the covenant, and from their home in Silverwood they walked the wild spaces of Telara, enforcing Tavril’s will with arrow’s sting and arcane wrath. Secretive, keeping their agenda even from the people they protected, the High Elves were often treated with suspicion and fear.
    I am a police officer and was a soldier. Now imagine since we protect and guard the nation we started referring to ourselves as "High Men" and operated in secret. I think we would end up with a Hylas or two.
    Last edited by Galibier; 06-08-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Plane Walker

Either that or the elves with a more nature bent indulged in certain forest herbs and mushrooms:P

This is Orphiel. The number of references to 1.21 giggawatts says it all.
    "The way is shut, it was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it."

+ Reply to Thread