+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question!

Soulwalker

Default Question!

This is generally a question for the people GMs that browse these forums or know a damn or two about the lore.

How is necromancy viewed in the society of the Guardians?

I assumed that it was at least frowned upon or, like with Reavers, allowed only to the chosen. So if say... my character was not an Ascended and was actively practicing necromancy, would that make him a criminal/heretic or whatever else?

For what I am about to say, anyone with more knowledge on the matter can feel free to swoop in and correct me; this is just my interpretation of the lore.

In my understanding Death magic is tolerated to a point even if it does make people uncomfortable. If we take the Inquisitors for example then they wield both Life and Death magic, working to serve the greater good with their extreme faith.

The following quote is most useful:

"For the most part, the world of Telara had been defenseless in the face of such onslaught, until the arrival of the Inquisitors.

Combining the powers of life and death with an unshakable obsession for natural order, Inquisitors have become powerful weapons against planar corruption. Inquisitors perform a wide range of tasks, from simple exorcisms and banishments to the extraordinary purging of greater planar powers from the world. But while the role of Inquisitors in protecting Telarans from the rifts is immensely beneficial, even essential, they are widely feared for their tendency towards extremism."

With regards to focusing solely on Death magic then that raises problems a few of which are detailed in the Warlock and Necromancer wiki pages.

The following quotes are most useful:

"Death has always been the most corrupting of arcane influences. At best, Mages who seek to master its power inevitably plunge into madness, while the worst wretches slowly succumb to the temptations of the Endless Court, becoming thralls of Regulos."

"Neddra was one such Mage: a prodigy who saw death as the only depth left unconquered in the arcane world. For her studies, Neddra was cast out of Quicksilver College, branded a heretic and follower of Regulos."
    Last edited by Himo; 05-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Roleplay Character - Himo (Level 50 Elf Cleric) <The Clandestine>
    PvE/PvP Character - Katketty (Level 50 High Elf Rogue) <Crucio Sanctorum>

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gulian View Post
    This is generally a question for the people GMs that browse these forums or know a damn or two about the lore.

How is necromancy viewed in the society of the Guardians?

I assumed that it was at least frowned upon or, like with Reavers, allowed only to the chosen. So if say... my character was not an Ascended and was actively practicing necromancy, would that make him a criminal/heretic or whatever else?
    Taking the skeleton out for a walk down Bahralt street in sanctum (and other guardian places in general) is - as far as I have understood everything - never going to be met with positive "Awww what a cute skeleton you have there!" -comments and so on.
    Whilst necomancy, and working with the death plane, is accepted people will likely always be fearful of it, namely because they saw what it can do with the shade, and also Gloamwood is a good example of death-plane-gone-wrong. The planes themselves are neutral, but they so happen to be occupied by some nasty dragons and cults which makes them a bit more iffy to work with.
    The fact that one is ascended might justify the use, though I wouldn't put it past people to question the purpose of said ascended even so.
    So in short you're not going to be tossed into the Vault of Heresy for practising necromancy, but it does not mean everyone likes it - and in this case, it'd likely be a minority that is completely alright with it.

*deposits two silvers in a box*
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Taking the skeleton out for a walk down Bahralt street in sanctum (and other guardian places in general) is - as far as I have understood everything - never going to be met with positive "Awww what a cute skeleton you have there!" -comments and so on.
    Whilst necomancy, and working with the death plane, is accepted people will likely always be fearful of it, namely because they saw what it can do with the shade, and also Gloamwood is a good example of death-plane-gone-wrong. The planes themselves are neutral, but they so happen to be occupied by some nasty dragons and cults which makes them a bit more iffy to work with.
    The fact that one is ascended might justify the use, though I wouldn't put it past people to question the purpose of said ascended even so.
    So in short you're not going to be tossed into the Vault of Heresy for practising necromancy, but it does not mean everyone likes it - and in this case, it'd likely be a minority that is completely alright with it.

*deposits two silvers in a box*
    Basically this.

Defiants don't shun you for it, even though Death is more of their primary enemy compared the Guardians targeting all six dragons fully. Heck, Asha is technically a warlock herself, and I think Kira would be a nightblade. So... Death itself, and necromancy, is seen more as a tool to be manipulated.

There IS a difference between purely planar energy, and corrupted dragon energy, even if the difference is small. Uriel's corruption came from using 'dragon energy' with Death, basically what the Endless Court embrace. There is nothing wrong, in itself, with manipulating death and deathly beings, in the world of Rift - it only...leads to more easily toward paths that do entail corruption. Otherwise, it is just like a science, or skillset, or tool.

Other Ascended would be more wary of you, due to coming from Terminus (where undead overwhelmed everything). Mortal Defiants only experienced the Shade, and it didn't hit most of them so close to home. Asha herself might only seriously warn you about Death's use, but also encourage you to hone your skills for the good of all, keeping you from falling into corruption by yourself. (Remember that both Uriel and Faceless Man were saved essentially by their allies and 'friends', instead of condemned by them)

~~~~

Guardians, many of them, would shun you for it. Necromancy had a specific role in Mathosian, and even Dwarven society, and they are paranoid of it. A mortal necromancer is just...not trusted, and for good reason. An Ascended necromancer is 'allowed', and understood to be a boon to the Guardians, but they're not going to cheer on your skills. The memory of Alsbeth is fresh, and you have a lot to prove to your faction. While many Ascended are seen as blessed heroes, I'm sure many Guardians would see you in a darker view than that - possibly more as a 'tool' than a person. But yes, still allowed. Guardians don't target Regulos specifically, as they run a sort of crusade against all of the dragons, but Regulos himself, and necromancy, is an immediate reminder of Regulos.

Short version is:

Guardians: "Here is the line....cross it and you die...till then, we'll tolerate you to a greater or lesser extant"

Defiant: "It's just another field of study...but there IS a line, you know, so don't cross it too far....or Kira will show you her mastery of alchemy. <HINT HINT>"

Both see the necessity, but both are wary that the practitioner could go wrong at any point.

As in all things, depends how you roleplay it, though as everyone above has said in depth, it's tolerated and not going to get you a case of axe-in-the-skull.

I know a few death-aspected roleplayers, what most of them have in their RP addon is the meta-data that there is something chilling to them, and they tend to roleplay accordingly - whether fighting corruption within, or so on. They don't all hide it, but none of them, as I know it, sort of walk around with summoned skeletons or anything and act surprised if they get odd looks.

It's all gooood.

I se necromancy in game much as some of the pagan community see it in life. Yes it has it's uses, and in game necromancer can and do work to defend (or save) depending on your faction, Telara but, there is a line a necromancer simply should not cross. Doing so is dangerous, possibly even fatal to both the necromancer and those around him/her.

Lore pretty much seems to support that sort of view. A necromancer is not a criminal and, is in fact useful and welcome but, if he/she goes too far, he/she then becomes an undesirable, probably dangerous to all, possibly insane, definitely not welcome or wanted.

The question is: Is it possible to go to far as a necromancer in game or, will it ever be possible? (as in you mess up and now the soldiers of your own faction have you on a KoS list so to speak.)
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread