+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Would it be possible Lore-wise....

Default Would it be possible Lore-wise....

For my character to be a child of a dragon? Like the dragon shapeshifted into a human, and conceived him? I didn't see anything against it, but just wanted to make sure.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

No. Your character also cannot be Asha and Zareph's secret child.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    No. Your character also cannot be Asha and Zareph's secret child.
    What's the source? I was thinking Scarn or something. I don't see anything in the lore against it.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Except for one thing....you are an Ascended...and since you don't mention which faction, I'll cover both reasons.

Guardian Ascended were chosen by the Vigil, or at least their Messengers....they know who you were before you died the "first death" and, especially after the screw ups with Alsbeth and Kain, are not very likely to grant immortality to the child of one of their sworn enemies.

Defiant Ascended, while created in a different way, STILL have their souls "read" before they are chosen for ascension, so the same logic applies. Giving that kind of power to the child of your enemy is a bad idea. Orphiel may be a bit crazy, but he is not completely insane, not to mention that Sylver isn't crazy at all and would never allow it.

That's not even mentioning that, as a child of a Dragon, you would hardly be a force for good. If your Father/Mother <the dragon> didn't have a hand in raising you themselves, you can bet that members of their cult would....and you would be nothing more then a pawn in their power-games.....much like Scarn is himself. Don't forget, the whole plan for Scarn is for him to grow up, kill Maelforge, and take his power....because the Gedlo Conclave want the power that would come from being his "First Disciples". So even the whole "well, I was hidden by my mother and they never knew about me" line of thought just doesn't work....every cult has powerful mages and clerics with the ability to scry....even if your mother did hide you, it wouldn't last for long...and when they found you, they would simply come, killl your mother and take you, raising you the way they wanted you raised.

So, sorry, no "redeemed heroes" in Telara.....not of THAT type anyway. It simply doesn't work with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by GothWulfe View Post
    Except for one thing....you are an Ascended...and since you don't mention which faction, I'll cover both reasons.

Guardian Ascended were chosen by the Vigil, or at least their Messengers....they know who you were before you died the "first death" and, especially after the screw ups with Alsbeth and Kain, are not very likely to grant immortality to the child of one of their sworn enemies.

Defiant Ascended, while created in a different way, STILL have their souls "read" before they are chosen for ascension, so the same logic applies. Giving that kind of power to the child of your enemy is a bad idea. Orphiel may be a bit crazy, but he is not completely insane, not to mention that Sylver isn't crazy at all and would never allow it.

That's not even mentioning that, as a child of a Dragon, you would hardly be a force for good. If your Father/Mother <the dragon> didn't have a hand in raising you themselves, you can bet that members of their cult would....and you would be nothing more then a pawn in their power-games.....much like Scarn is himself. Don't forget, the whole plan for Scarn is for him to grow up, kill Maelforge, and take his power....because the Gedlo Conclave want the power that would come from being his "First Disciples". So even the whole "well, I was hidden by my mother and they never knew about me" line of thought just doesn't work....every cult has powerful mages and clerics with the ability to scry....even if your mother did hide you, it wouldn't last for long...and when they found you, they would simply come, killl your mother and take you, raising you the way they wanted you raised.

So, sorry, no "redeemed heroes" in Telara.....not of THAT type anyway. It simply doesn't work with the lore.
    Ok. Thank you for clearing that up!
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight

Rift Chaser

Also, as far as I am aware, in Telara, unlike Azeroth, dragons do not shapeshift into humanoid form.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    Also, as far as I am aware, in Telara, unlike Azeroth, dragons do not shapeshift into humanoid form.
    Well, Regulos has done it, so presumably the rest of them can as well....hells, Laethys was a pile of gold coins for awhile, and I imagine that is a lot more difficult then a human, with all those little pieces.

Rift Chaser

Well, Regulos has done it, so presumably the rest of them can as well....hells, Laethys was a pile of gold coins for awhile, and I imagine that is a lot more difficult then a human, with all those little pieces.
    The Avatar of Regulos is vaguely humanoid (tail instead of legs), but as I understand it, it is Aedraxis' body corrupted and transformed and controlled by Regulos, rather than another form into which Regulos himself shapeshifts.

Laethys' dragon body was made of metal, so it's reasonable that it could be physically melted down and made into coins, while she, being a god, was not destroyed by this process.

I'm not saying that the Bloodstorm gods never take on other forms than their dragon manifestations, but our dragons here in Rift are still not like those in WoW, where every dragon can shapeshift into a mortal form that they use as a disguise
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

I'd say the difference between our Dragons and WoW dragons would, if we take it as a given that ours CAN appear as human if they desire, would be that WoW dragons seem to spend an AWFUL lot of time in human form just for the hell of it, whereas OUR Dragons only do it for a specific purpose, preferring their own forms.

The dragons of Rift seem to me much unlike the modern depictions of the mythic creatures. Rift's dragons are ultramundane gods. They have lived for a time that predates Telara, and are part of a conflict that is celestial in scale. Dragons of modern and mythic lore are demigods but are still more or less bound to the earth/world.

Appearance wise, the blood storm gods may only be called "Dragons" because of how they appear, which is usually serpentine. However, exceptions like Akylios, who bear a more Lovecraftian look, indicate that "dragon" is only best approximation of appearance.

From the point of view of a Telaran, the term "dragon" may only have been created to suit the appearance of the blood storm gods and their "children".

All of that said, I see nowhere in the lore of Rift that a dragon god or his offspring has the capability to appear humanoid. The closest thing to it is the Avatar of Regulos, which is just the corrupted body of Aedraxis Mathos.
    Last edited by Azchire; 05-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Rift Chaser

I'd say the difference between our Dragons and WoW dragons would, if we take it as a given that ours CAN appear as human if they desire, would be that WoW dragons seem to spend an AWFUL lot of time in human form just for the hell of it, whereas OUR Dragons only do it for a specific purpose, preferring their own forms.
    Possibly they can, but I don't think that there are any documented cases of them actually doing so
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

I just wanted something unique. I never saw anything against it, but I don't know alot of Telara's ancient history.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    I just wanted something unique. I never saw anything against it, but I don't know alot of Telara's ancient history.
    Unique is good. That, however, just doesn't work. Good luck though
    Last edited by GothWulfe; 05-02-2012 at 02:51 AM.

To be a spoilsport, your character will be unique anyway simply because you play it - there's a lot of ways you can make it distinctive, without having to be the child of a dragon. I mean - if you sift through the lore anyway, since you're intent on RPing this might be an idea - there's plenty of powerful beings out there (hello, Ascended), all individual through personality, looks, and faction stance.

Bear in mind as well if you're intent on playing something unique like a dragon/werewolf whichever, most people would probably say it's not maskable without a lot of effort, so you're hamstringing a lot of roleplay already for yourself just because the nature of most people will be to query it - reasonable queries such as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchire View Post
    The dragons of Rift seem to me much unlike the modern depictions of the mythic creatures. Rift's dragons are ultramundane gods. They have lived for a time that predates Telara, and are part of a conflict that is celestial in scale. Dragons of modern and mythic lore are demigods but are still more or less bound to the earth/world.

Appearance wise, the blood storm gods may only be called "Dragons" because of how they appear, which is usually serpentine. However, exceptions like Akylios, who bear a more Lovecraftian look, indicate that "dragon" is only best approximation of appearance.

From the point of view of a Telaran, the term "dragon" may only have been created to suit the appearance of the blood storm gods and their "children".

All of that said, I see nowhere in the lore of Rift that a dragon god or his offspring has the capability to appear humanoid. The closest thing to it is the Avatar of Regulos, which is just the corrupted body of Aedraxis Mathos.
    This.

The Shade of Regulos (I think that's the actual name?) was just a partial transferrence of Regulos' power to Aedraxis. Enough of it, causes someone to take on the dragon's persona.

In the Guardian Water Saga, the Abyssal intended to do the same to you, to turn you into the Avatar of Madness or something. I think with enough of Akylios's energy, you would essentially be a Lesser God, with half of your identity being of Akylios, until he just takes over your entire mind and you become a walking, humanoid, Aklyios.

So the dragons can turn into a lot of things, and transfer into humanoids... but nothing shows them actually shapeshifting into a human. In fact, they likely see their dragon form to be the ultimate of the physical forms they could exist on Telara as... so why would they turn into humans? ;)

And their offspring (like of Maelforge), as far as we know, have far less power. They are also embodiments of planar energy, but they only exist in dragon form and have no super special power. They would still be able to destroy entire nations when let loose, of course.

Long story short, NO, OP, you can't play as a dragon. You're an Ascended.

Guardian - You come from the battle of the Shade, 20 years ago (and only 20 years ago, as far as we know). After dying against Aedraxis' undead minions, you are brought back by the Vigil en masse, and charge against him once more. You succeed (partially) and are placed into a sort of unknown 'stasis' and given a holy vision to defeat the dragons, before being placed 20 years later (in the present) to stop all of the cults, dragons, and the upstart Defiant that intend to create their own Ascended to firstly counter the original ones of Cyril, Shyla, Borrin, etc.

(while Regulos is a big deal with Guardians, their main task is to defeat all of the dragons. Fighting Greenscale was an original goal, not a sidetrack)

Defiant - You come from... any time in the past? Your soul drawn from the soulstream, and attuned to the souls of heroes from the Blood Storm Wars, you can technically come from any previous time period. A Kelari can come from Ember Isle, or they can come from the fall of Meridian, etc. A Bahmi can come from the peace after the Blood Storm Wars, or they can come from a death in defending Fortune's Shore from planar demons before the whole region falling to Regulos. An Eth can come from the time of the ancient empire (I think), or they can come from a small tribe fleeing the Droughtlands after the destruction, and trying to seek passage into Mathosian lands. The common thing for Defiant Ascended is that they all come from 'Terminus Timelines' where they were witness to the end of the world entirely, and thusly are tasked with doing everything to stop Regulos from achieving his goals.

(Regulos is the big target for Defiants, and death corruption is a huge-*** deal to them, with the Abyssal and Golden Maw as their secondary concerns, and Life/Air/Fire as generally less important at first. It is at the discovery of Greenscale in Stillmoor, that the Defiants/Orphiel realize that the other dragons could truly be used as tools by Regulos, and as such they need to be JUST as important to fight as Regulos is)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast