+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do artifacts have lore value? or just a out of game experience?

Default Do artifacts have lore value? or just a out of game experience?

Do artifacts have lore value? or just a out of game experience?

I seen some interesting artifacts, and some not so interesting. I was wondering if they fit into the lore somehow.
    Last edited by tro44; 04-18-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Rift Chaser

Do you mean "are artifacts to be considered IC"? If so, I would say yes, all of them except perhaps the blatantly silly Rorf ones. All artifact sets have a bit of lore information in their description that I would consider canon. Even the Twisted ones, because these are objects from alternate universes (which are established to exist in Rift).
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Yes they do have a value. Without them we would not know the names of some of the Bahmi tribes as one example. Additionally throigh the "twisted" artifacts we know possible futures or "what might have been" time lines (think of the Cyril declares unascended curfew).
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Yes they do have a value. Without them we would not know the names of some of the Bahmi tribes as one example. Additionally throigh the "twisted" artifacts we know possible futures or "what might have been" time lines (think of the Cyril declares unascended curfew).
    I think they are all real. Even the joke ones. In some way.

Some tell us of things that may be more plainly told to us later - like the Bahmi tribes. I'm sure we'll get more elaboration when a Bahmi bunch of content (like Ember Isle for a Kelari) arrives, but for now, the artifacts tells us some tidbits

Some tell us what could be true possbilities. Slivers tell us a story, but artifacts do as well. They tell us, for example, that the Guardians, if not in check, could very well turn totalitarian and move against the better wishes of their gods themselves. Or they tell us the adventures of various characters. And so on.

Artifacts are lore that can't be told in the rest of the game . Just as Chronicles are lore that can't be told in a raid itself, or in a questline. Or raids tell lore that would be quite difficult to tell in the open world (though at least GW2 seems to be challenging that!).

The short answer is that, yes, all of the artifacts are canon lore. Now, whether that lore is correct or not is up to the Lore Dev....if we ever get a new one. <I volunteer myself and Morvick for paid jobs for Trion as Lore Devs LOL >

+ Reply to Thread