+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Terram

Thread: How you believe the Faceless Man escaped Akylios when under the sea?

Default How you believe the Faceless Man escaped Akylios when under the sea?

How you believe the Faceless Man escaped Akylios when under the sea?

interesting story for this figure. But how did he escape? he doesnt seem to remember.

could there be some hidden agenda that Akylios had by releasing the Faceless Man?

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Sylver Valis built a submarine made out of tin cans and vile sourcestone. Manned by a crew of Bahmi and the Defiant's Traitor-extraction-team (really just a bunch of centurions) they travelled far and wide until finally they reached the enemies vast, watery and very wet underwater lair. There their submarine malfunctioned, they all died.

"The faceless man" is a mass hallucination created by Akylios and will lead all of the Defiants to a watery grave.

Tune in next week when I explain what's rally going on with Cyril Kalmar.

Ascendant

I've never heard anything about him ever "escaping" from under the sea. He was already an Abyssal member long enough to be chosen (actually are they chosen? never too clear on that part) as leader of one of their cabals.

He was the Tidelord of the Meridian cabal of the Abyssal. But he decided he wanted out of it and betrayed the Abyssal by turning Meridian over to Orphiel and Asha, setting up wards around the city to keep the Water planars out. I guess it would have been fairly easy for Asha and the Defiants to clear otut the human cultists and capture the city after that.
    Last edited by Kedon; 04-16-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Plane Walker

I would say the Faceless man's Will is strong.

do you think he wears the skin of the boy in the tower by the sea?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    I've never heard anything about him ever "escaping" from under the sea. He was already an Abyssal member long enough to be chosen (actually are they chosen? never too clear on that part) as leader of one of their cabals.

He was the Tidelord of the Meridian cabal of the Abyssal. But he decided he wanted out of it and betrayed the Abyssal by turning Meridian over to Orphiel and Asha, setting up wards around the city to keep the Water planars out. I guess it would have been fairly easy for Asha and the Defiants to clear otut the human cultists and capture the city after that.
    In the saga quest and the book rewards from them, he mentions how he had to escape from the dragon of the sea, who wanted to suck his KNOWLEGE from him. He saw the dragon god's true intentions and fled. But he say he cant remember how he got away, since he was under water with weights on his legs etc.

He has no memory of what happen, well that's what he tells us.

I didn't do all the saga quest.

But I find it strange that the cult wanted to kill the player but capture him alive, during the quest to save his mother.

Seem very strange, as if he has something they want.

Perhaps this has something to do with how he escaped the dragon god alive with memory lost.

Could the dragon god still have control of him somehow? Perhaps the dragon god see something useful in him so he let Henry go?

Interesting conspiracy.

But the faceless man (Henry) can't be a sellout rogue agent, because we see him in the future of the Defiant starter area. Which means he has to be a long lasting member.

But still something to think about.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    In the saga quest and the book rewards from them, he mentions how he had to escape from the dragon of the sea, who wanted to suck his KNOWLEGE from him. He saw the dragon god's true intentions and fled. But he say he cant remember how he got away, since he was under water with weights on his legs etc.

He has no memory of what happen, well that's what he tells us.

I didn't do all the saga quest.

But I find it strange that the cult wanted to kill the player but capture him alive, during the quest to save his mother.

Seem very strange, as if he has something they want.

Perhaps this has something to do with how he escaped the dragon god alive with memory lost.

Could the dragon god still have control of him somehow? Perhaps the dragon god see something useful in him so he let Henry go?

Interesting conspiracy.

But the faceless man (Henry) can't be a sellout rogue agent, because we see him in the future of the Defiant starter area. Which means he has to be a long lasting member.

But still something to think about.
    Henry!?!?!? His name is HENRY!??!! Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by The Protector View Post
    Henry!?!?!? His name is HENRY!??!! Priceless!
    Yup. Once upon a time, he was a regular Telaran, with a plain looking mother (in Whitefall now).

To OP, he didn't escape Akylios I think. He WAS taken. Just so happens he had enough hidden innate will to not be totally taken by Akylios. Unlike other cultists, he was more horrified by what lurked underneith (and now in his own mind), but also unlike other Telarans, he was able to stay composed enough to fool the other cultists and get promoted to Tidelord status.

When the Defiants came, he knew it was time to show his true intent, and he essentially hande the city to them. This afforded him VERY VERY high stature in the faction, and anyone who would otherwise question him, are likely shushed by people like Asha.

The Defiants are full of lore figures that threaten to burst forth with corruption, but have enough community within themselves to keep this in check . Asha knows she has a dark touch of Regulos within herself (which very well COULD turn her against friends at some point), Uriel has the tendency to be a little too 'attracted' to corrupted planar magic, and the Faceless Man has a whole portion of his mind STILL stewing in madness and murderous intent.

So he locks it up. It's also the part of him that is 'Henry', so he cannot allow himself to feel empathy and care (his Henry/human part). He's colder than any Tidelord, but this is only in order to safeguard his goodness. Sociopath with good intentions.

And Akylios isn't Crucia. While Crucia outright invades and takes over your mind like a puppetmaster (at least when she's at full strength in you), Akylios simply sneaks in tendrils of madness in you, leading you eventually to the belief that he holds all of knowledge of the universe (even if he doesn't), and that you must do horrific things in order to obtain a taste of that knowledge (which you wouldn't, in reality).

So its not like Akylios had some psychic link. It's more like Akylios infects a person then lets them loose upon the world to do crazy stuff. The Abyssal's structure reflects that, with several cabals (I think we know of like 4-5 major ones? Moonshade, Iron Pine, formerly Meridian/Freemarch, maybe more) and about a dozen Tidelords overseeing parts of them, instead of some pyramid structure. They each have their own projects, apart from each other except in specific circumstances (see Water Saga).

Meridian was the closest to a 'headquarters' that they probably would have had, and IMO, it would have been the place where they would worship Akylios once he was freed. I think each of the dragons have a location that they want as a 'Main Temple', like when Crucia overcame Iron Pine and built a small nation of thralls long ago, or Laethys would have probably used ancient Eth as her home, or Regulos would have set up Stillmoor as his centre of operations.

Plane Walker

I still kind of wonder who wears the skin of this boy in the tower by the sea. Could it be Akylios? or could he simply collect them,

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/not...es/akylios.php

and there is mention of a child skin covered book in Laethys' tale that was used to call upon the spirits of wealth.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/not...es/laethys.php
    Last edited by Mythue; 04-21-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I still kind of wonder who wears the skin of this boy in the tower by the sea. Could it be Akylios? or could he simply collect them,

and there is mention of a child skin covered book in Laethys' tale that was used to call upon the spirits of wealth.

I like how you pretend Akylios is the only one to kill a child.

The Blood Storm does not **** around.

A lot of people have been skinned. A lot. Almost all cults do it for one reason or another. They're bat**** crazy.

Plane Walker

truthfully, after reading this tale of Akylios, I just began to wonder where the skins Telarans wear came from.:)

truthfully, after reading this tale of Akylios, I just began to wonder where the skins Telarans wear came from.
    Cultists skin Telaran citizens.

Telaran citizens wear skins of beasts.

Sorry!, I just don't know what you're talking about here.

Plane Walker

I begin to not know either Maeloda :) when I think about it more now, it feels like it becomes a what came first kind of wonder.

+ Reply to Thread