+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have we seen the last of Alsbeth?

Default Have we seen the last of Alsbeth?

Here are my thoughts, and i wish I recorded what was said during her kill in the river of souls raid. Anyway here we go:

1) We know alsbeth died with the others and came back an ascended. Ascended can't really die permanently can they?

2) In relation to the above, maybe the vigil somehow have to intervene or their messengers everytime we die to get back to our body, perhaps they were like..sorry alsbeth, no second life for you.

3) We know regulos has access to the soul stream according to the lore about asha kitari as he tried to torture her soul before she was called back to life. With this access, and since all the dead belong directly to him, perhaps we'll see her again but in the plain of death?

There are so many possibilities, but combined with the fact that regulos has access to the dead (scary thought once we kill all the dragons and their true forms), and that alsbeth was once ascended, it just feels that its too probable that we'll see her again. I'm not as up on lore as others in this game so I wanted to see what you guys thought about this. Anyway just a thought sparked by another post and i think it'd be cool if she made her way back into the game and perhaps in regulos's raid.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 04-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Plane Walker

1) I think its possible to kill an ascended, its just very hard to do it perminantly. Calwin, for example, isnt complete dead as such but he remains in a spirit form after Andrexis blasted him. Alsbeth was basicly channeling the force of the river of souls at the time so I think it might have overloaded her.

2) I dont think this is the case for two reasons. Defiants dont require any assistance in returning and they are modeled on Guardian ascended. Its a basic trait of being ascended. Secondly, traitor ascended would be a much more minor issue if that was the case. Once an Ascended is ascended I think they come back all on their own.

3) I dont think Regulos has direct access to the river of souls otherwise we would be in a much worse position. One of the terrible things about Alsbeth getting access to the River of Souls was that she could bring back whoever she wanted on almost a whim. I think Regulos generally catchs souls before they get to the RoS.

Finally I dont think Regulos is that interested in Alsbeth. He abandoned her at the end of the RoS and even said she had done more than he expect of her. To him it seems she was just something to keep us occupied. What she was supposed to be distracting us from I have no idea but it suggests she was one of his more minor plans.

Infact I think he said something about taking his time tearing apart her soul.

1) Ya I think if you can completely destroy the ascendeds body you make it difficult for them to return, or somehow able to just trap them in the state that we are when we soul walk.

2) The fact defiants are not receving assistance from the vigil definitely makes it such that our ability to soul walk is completely our own. Good point.

3) Let me pull a line from the lore which is confusing the crap out of me right now:

"Beyond the Ward, Regulos ripped her spirit from the Soulstream, infusing her with great power as he whispered temptation after temptation, for he wanted Asha to become his general upon Telara. She refused. Enraged, Regulos attempted to destroy her, igniting the very energy he had embroidered into her soul. But Asha’s agonized spirit was suddenly pulled away, and the dread god howled in frustration."

This right here implies that regulos has access to the soulstream. I dont know if this means alsbeth had the stream tapped at that time, but that wouldn't match any timeline since alsbeth died at the same time (pre-ascension. Any clarification on this? If regulos has full access to the soul stream, then he literally was just letting alsbeth toy around and he really didn't need her.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 04-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Keep in mind that it was stated earlier by Plutonus that before creatnig his machine, they chose souls blindly from the soul stream.

Furthermore, I believe Asha Catari's assention occurred during the Shade event, much like the Guardian ascended, which was just before Regulos' was shattered.

I imagine that prior to his shattered state, he was able to tap into the Soul stream more easily and able to pick out specific souls.
    When he was shattered, he lost the ability to seek out a specific soul, hence the necessity to create Plutonus' machine.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Asha did indeed die during the shade. You can find her corpse lying about in the guardian starting phase ^^
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Plane Walker

I have been watching the videos on rifts media site recently and there is one of her in the River of Souls one.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/media/videos/

after watching it I got the impression that she wishes an army of Undeath, and she is Queen of the Endless Court. She says, embrace eternal life or be consumed by the Void. What feels unsure to me is if Regulos is the Devourer that she feeds the souls to or is the Void.

and I kind of think of Crucia when I watch this too, that she might be serving Crucia? instead of Regulos?

Regulos is considered the void.

You would have to think at some point Regulos will tire of Alsbeth's constant failures.
    Last edited by Kalle is back; 04-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.

If Alsbeth returns in any significant way, it'll either be:

1)As a major major enemy. Not likely.

2)As a servant spirit thing, of something greater. Like putting her (in some ugly undead version?) as a raid boss in a wing of a raid, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    Here are my thoughts, and i wish I recorded what was said during her kill in the river of souls raid. Anyway here we go:

1) We know alsbeth died with the others and came back an ascended. Ascended can't really die permanently can they?

2) In relation to the above, maybe the vigil somehow have to intervene or their messengers everytime we die to get back to our body, perhaps they were like..sorry alsbeth, no second life for you.

3) We know regulos has access to the soul stream according to the lore about asha kitari as he tried to torture her soul before she was called back to life. With this access, and since all the dead belong directly to him, perhaps we'll see her again but in the plain of death?

There are so many possibilities, but combined with the fact that regulos has access to the dead (scary thought once we kill all the dragons and their true forms), and that alsbeth was once ascended, it just feels that its too probable that we'll see her again. I'm not as up on lore as others in this game so I wanted to see what you guys thought about this. Anyway just a thought sparked by another post and i think it'd be cool if she made her way back into the game and perhaps in regulos's raid.
    By doing the RoS raid and chronicle you will figure out that Alsbeth was sent(?) to the River of Souls in order to construct a device which would be able to scan the soulstream for powerful souls and summon them to the world to serve Regulos. Dark foci were something like the "Power Plants" of this device and Plutonus was its architect.

In fact, the plan went pretty well and as far as we know Alsbeth was able to summon and enslave Gaurath which we had the opportunity to slain in RoS but she has also summoned Zareph who has attacked her to buy us some time to escape (RoS chronicle).
    Basically, chronicle is what happened before we go to RoS as a raid which leaves me the impression that poor Zareph was finally enslaved too.

With that said, I'm not surprised if Alsbeth died for good and her soul was lost in the soulstream or devoured by Regulos.
    When you fight alsbeth at last phase of the encounter she begs Regulos to give her power to face us but Regulos deny her saying that he is sick of her failures (probably referring to our successful sabotage during chronicle version of RoS) and he also mentions that she has played her role well and kept us busy for longer than he initially expected. Alsbeth replies with a "damn you regulos" (betrayal is very common in the plane of death, remember the tree boss in expert RD who says "alsbeth promised us immortalityyyyy" when he dies)

In short, I think Alsbeth has played the role and she has already given Zareph to Regulos. I doubt there's anyone better Regulos would have ever expected to get his hands on through Alsbeth and her Soulstream machine (keep in mind that Zareph is Telara's greatest hero of all times, popular to both factions).
    Imo it's very unlikely to ever see Alsbeth again, however, be prepared for some encounter versus Zareph the Fallen in the future

(I'm a bit disappointed tho because if you read Alsbeth's lore she seems to have been a noble figure before she betrayed Port Scion.. and I haven't found any piece of lore yet that explains WHY she embraced Regulos all of sudden)
    Architect of <Apotheosys> :: Progress & Achievements
    Raid & Guild Leader of (former):

<Exploit> : Ultane World 1st, Regulos World 2nd // <Rift Runners> Crucia World 3rd, Perfect Crucia World 1st, HK Conq W#3, Laethys/Maelforge W#7 // Member of <PTW> Akylios W#5th

Plane Walker

Regulos also says something about looking forward to tearing apart Alsbeth's soul or something like it.

What I want to know is if Alsbeth was just around to keep us busy, what the hell was Regulos really working on? Also It occured to me that we might be shotting ourselves in the foot somewhat by killing the other dragons. What if we are just handing all the other dragon's souls to Regulos?

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Regulos also says something about looking forward to tearing apart Alsbeth's soul or something like it.

What I want to know is if Alsbeth was just around to keep us busy, what the hell was Regulos really working on? Also It occured to me that we might be shotting ourselves in the foot somewhat by killing the other dragons. What if we are just handing all the other dragon's souls to Regulos?
    We could agree that he's just trying to do the following:

1)Bolster his army to its greatest strength possible. This includes spreading his cult into Gloamwood, Scarwood, Scarlet Gorge, Stonefield, and Freemarch (the Freemarch part possibly involved unleashing Iron Tomb on the Defiants and keeping them from interfering). Eye of Regulos would have allowed him to return, in some capacity, though we don't know if he would immediately attack Telara, or simply fester as a wound on Telara as the Defiants and Guardians are distracted (assuming there would be no Defiant Ascended). River of Souls was to be essentially his army to accompany him, giving him full access to specific 'generals' of great power.

2)Let the OTHER dragons die first. See, this is what the cults are trying to do:
    Aelfwar - Free Greenscale and siphon off his power, to create a new elven society (brainwashed.., but yeah)
    Golden Maw - Discover where Laethys is, reconsitute her, and free her. Many leaders are just greedy though and seek to just bring armies forth and sit on their own pile of treasure.
    Storm Legion - Seem to not care so much about freeing her... they seem to be quite happy so far just creating an army... ahem...
    Wanton - Free Maelforge, Destroy World. They're rather simple minded and Infernal Dawn/a Fire Saga will promptly deal with them
    Abyssal - Free Akylios, nothing else matters. Compelled to do strange things.

I think the pattern is here. The 'weaker' factions we're dealing with, are just concerned (OVERALL) with freeing their dragons and ravaging the world. They don't see the larger scale. Abyssal kinda do, but they're also all scewed in the head anyway, so 'strategy' isn't the best thing for them.

But what are Storm Legion and Endless Court focusing on?

I think both of them see Telara's situation in different ways, yet still more sucessfully than the other 4 'tools' of theirs. I think both want the Ascended to, as long as they gotttttaaaaaa (fineeee) exist, eliminate the opposition.

I think Regulos is biding his time, while still using his position of advantage to engage in large campaigns on Telara (like the assault of the Ceremony of Attunement!), while Crucia is being more careful and has a mastermind plan. This will be the point of post-May 2012 Rift.

Plane Walker

an article of Alsbeth and the River of Souls

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2012/02/1...-to-the-river/

@ Yobi,

Yobi I actually wonder if Zareph was destroyed. One night I forgot to update one of the quests in the RoS Chronicle. When I zoned back in I decided to go check out Alsbeth and Zareph. Zareph's health had dropped maybe 2%. Alsebeth's had dropped over 20% and they were still fighting. At least as far as Zareph's fate is concerned I think the jury is still definitely out.

As far as accessing the soul stream through the device Plutonus made, that could easily be described as something Alsbeth, not Regulos needed in order to access the soul stream. Yes Alsbeth was a servant of Regulos but clearly she was looking to increase her own power. As for Regulos saying that he looked forward to tearing apart Alsebeth's soul, that could very easily just be a bit of torture to teach her a lesson of the dangers of getting to big for her britches, so to speak. Since Regulos ripped Asha from the soul stream and said he would tear Alsbeth apart he clearly has the ability to do that when he choses. It is also clear however that people of enough power to be of use need to be corrupted in some manner AND have the ability to resist. With his failure with Asha I would doubt Regulos would roll those dice again, but who knows what happens to Alsbeth? Maybe she comes back after some "re-education", maybe he tortures her for eternity Old Testament style? Only the future will tell.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Sword of Telara

Yes, she is dead as all hell.

Regulos personally devoured her soul.

Regulos is like, the one being in the planes who can actually circumvent Ascension by virtue of him being the logical extreme of what "power over death" means.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast