+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lutinz

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The origin of the Ogres

Plane Walker

Default The origin of the Ogres

Similarly to the PoV from Maelforge, it seems Leathys has gotten a turn.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Laethys-.html

A little different this time, it tells the tale of the orges. While maybe not as insightful as Mealforge's PoV on the nature of the rift universe, it doest have some interesting things.

- Leathys seems to plan ahead. She also seems pretty patient.

- I get the feeling Crucia gets jealous of her siblings easily.

- The Ogres dont originate from the Plane of Earth. This means that many of the Bloodstorms minions are races from worlds formerly consumed. Mealforge in particular has a number of races that could fit that bill.

More juicy lore to consider.

Definitely a interesting read and leaves some openings to what we can expect if we go to the Plane of earth to defeat the true form of Leathys. Ogre Kings would definitely be a raid encounter.

Plane Walker

I found myself looking up diamonds after reading this, of how they are created, to see how Orges might be like diamonds

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/geoche.../aa071601a.htm

for the story tells as well that Leathys and her brothers and sisters come from beyond the stars, and when called to this world of the Orges, before destroying it, Leathys fused the palace of diamonds into a Crystal?

Could this tale as well tell a little of sourcestone origins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I found myself looking up diamonds after reading this, of how they are created, to see how Orges might be like diamonds

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/geoche.../aa071601a.htm

for the story tells as well that Leathys and her brothers and sisters come from beyond the stars, and when called to this world of the Orges, before destroying it, Leathys fused the palace of diamonds into a Crystal?

Could this tale as well tell a little of sourcestone origins?
    Yeah, I think so.

I would almost assume that the Rift universe initially existed as just many seperate worlds (no clue on their origins though, but that's beside the point), but then a corruption happened. It spread through the planes, leading to their corruption. From this, the dragons were born, and as they spread (like an elemental Burning Legion), the planes only grew in greater and greater strengh and evil, when initially they may have been rather more docile and balanced.

So that just further places Telara as a 'last stand' planet. This is where the dragons were eventually lead, likely carving a path through the cosmos. Who knows what would happen if Telara actually fell? I mean, with it being the nexus of the planes, would ALL of existance (including other planes) just be forced to conform to, say, Regulos? Is this the cause of the dragons being SO forceful, and why they really turned on Regulos?

Plane Walker

I think Leathys in her comment was refering to the ogres. It suggests she was influencing them from much earlier and she left them to 'ripen' before the Bloodstorm finally came to the world.

'time and pressure'

The ogres started out as decent people. It was an unquenchable greed that turned them into what they became and it happened over generations.

As for sourcestone, we have been told sourcestone is formed where the planes overlap. Thats why Telara is so rich in sourcestone. It lies at a nexus of the planes.

Its curious about the origins of the Dragons. We have seen much to suggest that the planes once were not ruled by the Dragons or corrupt. What cause the Bloodstorm to form or come into existance has been something Ive wondered about for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    I think Leathys in her comment was refering to the ogres. It suggests she was influencing them from much earlier and she left them to 'ripen' before the Bloodstorm finally came to the world.

'time and pressure'
    I think Lutinz hit the nail on the head with this one. The way that Ogres are like diamonds is that to create them, it took "time and pressure" for their greed to grow sufficiently.
    Give me fuel, give me fire...
    Give me that which I desire...
    Some just want to watch the world burn

Plane Walker

"As for sourcestone, we have been told sourcestone is formed where the planes overlap. Thats why Telara is so rich in sourcestone. It lies at a nexus of the planes."

If sourcestone was created from the six elements overlapping, and Telara is created from this sourcestone I just wonder what element is within Telara, that came from this Plane of Earth. This plane of Leathys, this Plane of Earth, is of sand and crystal and stone. Does the sourcestone Telara was created from have this,

Plane of Earth: the unquiet stone

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/pla...e-of-earth.php

It was interesting to read of the Titans as well.

"And the Titans. Once rulers of an empire within the Plane of Earth, these enormous beings make the tallest mortal look like a toy. They are not brutal, the Titans. They are not stupid. They are Earth at its most dangerous: wise, cold, mighty beyond comprehension. And they will have an empire again."

and if the Orges are not from the Plane of Earth, I wonder what plane this city of theirs was on, who were their neighbors, and how small this plane of theirs was. Their King seemed Earth-Touched, similar to King Aedraxis being Regulos-Touched. Was Regulos the first of the Bloodstorm to find Telara?
    Last edited by Mythue; 04-02-2012 at 06:28 AM.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Ghost Writer in the Sky Foxcalibur's Avatar

Note that while Ogres are like diamonds, they are nothing like onions. Or parfaits.

-FOXY

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Note that while Ogres are like diamonds, they are nothing like onions. Or parfaits.

-FOXY
    Soooo.... Im thinking Troggs for Onions and maybe Cyclops for the Prafaits? For some reason Cyclops always struck me as more fishcakey. Probably all the stomping.

My the way Fox, did you right the Mealforge and Leathys stuff?

Laethys' story here is fantastic. I've started reading more of the lore behind Rift following this one, something I've woefully neglected up until now.

Good job, whoever wrote it

Maybe our ogres are like cake? Everybody loves cake!

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Plane Walker

and maybe Orges and Diamonds are not layered, like onions and parfaits are and I would love to know as well if you are the writer of these tales too.:)

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Ghost Writer in the Sky Foxcalibur's Avatar

Yes, I wrote the recent Laethys and Maelforge pieces.

Ogres are also not like cakes. The Ogre cake is a... um... well, it's not true.
    Last edited by Foxcalibur; 04-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Plane Walker

Nice work dude. Those pieces are great. Of course now I wanna go visit other worlds though.... or maybe they could come to us!!! Alien invaders rift style!!!

Rift Disciple

Very well done! Could we maybe get something from Tavril or Thontic's perspectives next? That's just an example, it's not that they're my favorites or anything. Or that I consider this a binding contract that you'll write those pieces.

Plane Walker

and I am told, many other pieces as well and that Hugo is the Guardian in this video...

http://www.riftgame.com/en/media/videos/

sooo......:) does Hugo gain healing from the life rift, and is the Crow his spirit guide? and does this crow become a phoenix who takes the soul of the Kelari into the flame.

+ Reply to Thread