+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By meoka2368
  • 2 Post By GothWulfe
  • 1 Post By Proin Drakenzol

Thread: New Mounts - Question

Default New Mounts - Question

Ok bear with me - I only know bits and bobs about Rifts lore.

One thing that i've known from the beginning of playing though is that Defiants favour technology, whilst Guardians favour "faith" (or something to that effect).

What has bugged me since the new world event started is that we now see guardian players riding around on mechanical spiders, which would of *surely* been built by defiants.

My question is... is this a big hole in the lore of the game, or is there some justification for it?

Don't quote me but I think the reason Guardians (and vice-versa) have the Spider mount is based on player feedback requesting for it. The PTS only had the Nebula for Guardians and the Spider for Defiants when they were first available. So the only way at the time to get it was to have a Defiant that had the Doubloons, bought the mount and mailed the BOA mount to a Guardian (and again vice-versa.)

I think it's one of those things that's done for the players' satisfaction versus following through with the lore.

Edit: Here's the Carnival of the Ascended Event Official PTS Feedback Thread thread with people requesting for it.
    Last edited by Riane; 03-30-2012 at 12:55 AM.

This really seems like a gameplay>lore kind of thing. But in this case, imo its fine.

I wanted a Nebula for my Kelari anyway. Sooo fitting for him.

For a lore reason to use them, how's this.
    Both sides had quests to go raid the other side's parades and outposts. What if the mounts were captured during those raids? Kinda like war trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    For a lore reason to use them, how's this.
    Both sides had quests to go raid the other side's parades and outposts. What if the mounts were captured during those raids? Kinda like war trophies.
    There is an even simpler justification then that The ones who run the carnival quite obviously don't favor either faction <hence why they were set up in each capital and Fortune's Shore> and so presumably have people who either A> never joined either faction or B> became dissatisfied with their faction and left.

Very simple explanation for why both factions can get both mounts....we're buying them from a 3rd party that doesn't care what faction you belong to as long as you have the money.

Rift Disciple

And maybe the spider mount is purely mechanical and does not use magitech (which is, as far as I can tell only machines that actually cast magic the way mages do, not anything enchanted) and therefore would not be prohibited.

+ Reply to Thread