+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storyline Without Breaking Lore?

Default Storyline Without Breaking Lore?

Some members were making a good point in saying RPers can't break the lore the game already has set.

I was wondering how could you make a believable, non-lore breaking storyline for yourself and your guild without being repetitive?

Example:

Almost everyone i've RPed with is playing the Amnesia card ( even me on occassion) but it's starting to get a bit over used.

Any ideas?

In what context is the amnesia card being played?
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    In what context is the amnesia card being played?
    Almost in the same way.

They don't remember anything before Ascension only their name. And they hope to travel Telara to regain their memories.

There are a lot of ways to have character arcs, but the amnesia card gets played a lot by people who aren't always sure of the setting and want to learn lore as they go along, rather than do some quick reading beforehand, I guess.

I have a character who can't remember much, but she rarely advertises it, just gets along with whatever's happening. I can imagine it getting pretty old though when it's all someone talks about

I am assuming then that you are looking for a rationalization that does not simply involve your characters and guild being entirely focused on simply fighting the planes?

Well one thing the lore makes clear is that much knowledge has been lost, not just Eth tech due to the fall of the Eth Empire. You could have a guild that is not about rediscovering themselves but the true history of the world itself. You could also have a guild variation of the fellowship of the endless road (a guild I was in in EQ2). The FoTER was set up like a medevil guild. We had apprentices, journeymen, masters etc. Much of the guild resolved around crafting BUT we also saw the classes of crafts in and of itself. It was not a guild about going out and fighting the bad guys it was about perfecting your craft

In a similar vein while all ascended, per the devs, come from either terminus or the shade war nothing says they all arrive in our present at the exact same time. As such you could have a guild where certain people arrived more recently than others. They are thus more familiar with the current time line and have much about the present to teach. Guardians lost 20 years at least. Loved ones may have died, lovers may have married, there is A LOT to take in. Defia t may not even remember there was a time when not only there were no rifts, but when there were no defiant at all. Meridian still stands, Orphiel has not disappeared. Again a lot of social adjustment. Also they have had more time as ascended and the power of an ascended cleric is certainly going to take some adjustment for a "regular" cleric.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Plane Walker

Although I dont actively RP I do make up stories and histories for my characters to set them in the games context. The game allows for quite a bit of flexablilty here particularly on the defiant side. Strictly speaking your character could have held any role prior to becoming an ascended.

Lutinz for example was originally a Malthosian Cleric of Thontic. Known for being cynical and questioning he often rubbed other clerics the wrong why by questioning the intent and purpose of the commands of the gods and the actions of leaders. To him, his faith was his trust in the gods intentions rather than his unquestioning belief in everything his was told.

The very fact he was ascended to him validates his veiw. The gods want someone who isnt blinded by dogma and looks beyond at what could be. He often believes the gods arent being wholely honest with the Guardians but he does trust that they have good reasons for not revialing everything.

Thats one example and a pretty generic one for me. Ive got other alts who Ive done similar groundwork for. Telaras history offers great oportunity for variaty in characters particularly in defiants who can pluck characters from any point in the history of their race rather than just pre shade like the gaurdians.

Character story has a lot of room to move within the story. Ive had a rather militant high elf warrior, a somewhat unhinged high elf mage and a rogue who left children in Port Scion to march to war with Zareph. You want a powerful opening to a characters story then you can imagine them coming back the second time and the first thing they see it the city that housed everyone they loved and fought for flooded with death energy.

Rift Chaser

In a similar vein while all ascended, per the devs, come from either terminus or the shade war nothing says they all arrive in our present at the exact same time.
    Just to jump on this one statement, actually the Failsafe device is stated as only being able to transport people back in time to the one moment when it was first created and turned on (think it was mentioned somewhere by some lore dev as being like a kind of cosmic save point), so that all Defiant Ascended supposedly arrived at the same time.

Though this does make it tricky from an OOC point of view where new players are arriving back from the future a year after those who first came through.

There is a lot of potential for variety of character stories among the Defiant, at least, though, because it's also stated that the souls that were pulled from the soul stream and resurrected (ie, your own personal soul rather than the additional ones infused into you to empower you), could have lived their original lives at any point in history. You might have lived your first life and died at any time from just before Terminus to way back in Ancient Eth Empire, to the original Blood Storm wars.

Source for both claims (that 1: Failsafe returns you to a single point in time (think this is also mentioned in-game during the Terminus questline) and 2: Defiant Ascended can come originally from any point in history).
    Last edited by Feine; 03-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Rift Chaser

Edit: Double-posted by accident.
    Last edited by Feine; 03-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    Just to jump on this one statement, actually the Failsafe device is stated as only being able to transport people back in time to the one moment when it was first created and turned on (think it was mentioned somewhere by some lore dev as being like a kind of cosmic save point), so that all Defiant Ascended supposedly arrived at the same time.
    I'll do some digging BUT since the dail safe device has yet to be created that would be a nice trick ;) I'll dig and see if I am in error though.

I'll do some digging BUT since the dail safe device has yet to be created that would be a nice trick ;) I'll dig and see if I am in error though.
    I actually found numerous things confirming your contention so we have one of a few options. First as with any technological device perhaps it has to be turned off for routine maintenance? This could then in theory cause a defacto reset of the device. In this way people showing up in the newbie portion of freemarch today does not create a complete conflict with those of us that started a year ago.

Just a thought.

Rift Chaser

That is not true. The device has already been created. You can see it in-game now if you go to the Ark of the Ascended, and the point at which you came through [6204,4273]. There are technicians standing next to the Failsafe, who, when you arrive from Terminus, say things like (paraphrasing) "Let's see if this device will start up properly. Yikes! Something's coming through the moment we turned it on! But hang on, that's what was supposed to happen! Wow, are you really from the future? It works!"

The Failsafe, in-game, in the present day: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...-18_011903.jpg

And an actual quote, from the quest "Flipping the Switch" in Terminus:

Asha: "Fortunately, Orphiel built a Failsafe. It has the capacity to send you back in time to the moment it was installed."
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Rift Chaser

I actually found numerous things confirming your contention so we have one of a few options. First as with any technological device perhaps it has to be turned off for routine maintenance? This could then in theory cause a defacto reset of the device. In this way people showing up in the newbie portion of freemarch today does not create a complete conflict with those of us that started a year ago.

Just a thought.
    Not sure about that. See, we like the whole "you can only travel back to the point at which it was created" thing particularly because it resembles real world theories of how there's a chance time travel might be possible using wormholes.

Also missdoomcookie's words here (which I linked to previously) suggest that is not the case: "Think of this device as a temporal anchor. You can't use it to go back and forth, just to that one moment in time that the machine was rooted." (Emphasis mine).

But yeah, we need to double-think it or hand-wave it somehow, to remain consistent with new players joining the game and experiencing the same story. Personal preference is to think that, as a player, one's personal timeline is not linear with respect to the actual in-game storyline. What we mean by this is that, as a new player, one way of thinking about it is that you're actually in the past, in some sense, with respect to the game's storyline, and catch up with the present day as you progress through the quests.

As another example, perhaps easier to follow since it doesn't involve time-travel in the story itself: This is similar to the kind of double-think you have to commit, when, say, rolling a Draenei character in WoW. Note that new Draenei start their in-game lives by waking up, having just survived the crash of the Exodar on Azeroth. But this event (the Exodar crash) really took place several years previously to the "present day" of the game. So as a new player, you initially start off being several years in the past, with respect to the game's storyline, and as you progress through the quests you approach the present day whereupon you catch up with everyone else.

Really, it's best probably best not to think about it too hard The way these games work, there's never going to be a truly consistent unified storyline encompassing every player; it has to get hand-wavey at some point.
    Last edited by Feine; 03-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Rift Chaser

Thought we'd also mention that Feine and Dreamwing are among those "playing the amnesia card". They have no memory at all of their previous lives, no idea who they were or what period in history they originally lived. Their amnesia is to such an extent that Ascension was essentially their moment of creation, rather than rebirth.

As their puppeteer, my reasons for doing this were various:

1) I like to be able to jump into an MMO and start playing and role-playing without having to sit down and read through tons of source material first in order to be sure my character is consistent with lore, preferring to pick up the lore from within the game as I play. Amnesia is a useful way to achieve this, so that I can learn about the situation and its history as they do, and am guaranteed to be lore-consistent. If my characters are wrong about something in the lore, it's still consistent, because they genuinely have been ICly lead to believe that, whatever it is. If I don't know about something in the lore, it's because my characters don't know it either.

2) These particular characters have a rather unusual and unique nature, which while not exactly canon is (hopefully) at least plausible within the lore, given its focus on souls. It's plausible that it might have come about somehow; there are many ways in which it might have done so, but because they have no memory, I am spared from having to ever precisely specify what brought about their unusual nature.

3) Distinguishing them from most amnesiac characters (also hopefully), is the fact that their memories are so completely absent that they don't actually care about recovering them. They're vaguely interested and intrigued to wonder who they were, but they don't lose sleep over it, nor are they likely to set out on a quest to discover their past (nor be successful if they do). Most likely they will never find out. This is who they are now, this is their life and the only one they have ever known, and the past is not really important to them - an important theme of the characters, because:

4) This was also a conscious attempt on my part to thoroughly avoid "tragic background syndrome", where it becomes cliché that roleplayed characters have some tragic background or incident in their past that they angst about. I wanted to make the nature of these characters their defining characteristic, rather than their past.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    Not sure about that. See, we like the whole "you can only travel back to the point at which it was created" .
    Well I would HOPE you have to turn the thing on lol. Could you imagine doing the electric on your house and once you hook it up ZAPPPP.

Perhaps the Failsafe can only bring one physical body back at a time and all these additional Defiants are sitting in some kind of buffer limbo waiting for their turn in the queue...? I think that makes more sense than turning the Failsafe off and on since the lore states that it brings them back to when it was installed, not, y'know, when it was rebooted.

Although, I also like the questing-catches-us-up-to-current-day theory. It is very much like rolling Draenei and that was how I treated that , as well.
    Give me fuel, give me fire...
    Give me that which I desire...
    Some just want to watch the world burn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast