+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porticulums

Plane Walker

Default Porticulums

From the Big Book of Eth Conspircy

Sorcerer King Mkhai creation of elemental portals

From the Riftstalker's history

It had been years since the accident, but Anan Mkhai recalled vividly the agony of having his very essence torn to shreds by his father’s experiment.

“Just one more adjustment,” the old man murmured, tinkering with the sourcestone lode he’d balanced within a crude assortment of metal rings held together with rawhide bands. As the lode clicked into place, the device erupted, shooting a bolt of wild planar power straight into Anan.

bits From the Out of Time quest description

but with Anan, they speak only of his unique power - the power that all riftstalkers emulate, but never equal. That is the power to walk between the lines of our world and the planes.

But I wonder, could the remains of the machine responsible for Anan's power, the first piece of magitech ever made, be found.

Wonders

is this Sorcerer King Mkhai the father Anan speaks of,

if so, then they are Eth, of the race of humans, and if this is so, then might this King of Mkhai have emulated Thonic's knowledge? (I am trying to find still where in the lore it is said that Thonic was the creator of Porticulums)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    From the Big Book of Eth Conspircy

Sorcerer King Mkhai creation of elemental portals

From the Riftstalker's history

It had been years since the accident, but Anan Mkhai recalled vividly the agony of having his very essence torn to shreds by his father’s experiment.

“Just one more adjustment,” the old man murmured, tinkering with the sourcestone lode he’d balanced within a crude assortment of metal rings held together with rawhide bands. As the lode clicked into place, the device erupted, shooting a bolt of wild planar power straight into Anan.

bits From the Out of Time quest description

but with Anan, they speak only of his unique power - the power that all riftstalkers emulate, but never equal. That is the power to walk between the lines of our world and the planes.

But I wonder, could the remains of the machine responsible for Anan's power, the first piece of magitech ever made, be found.

Wonders

is this Sorcerer King Mkhai the father Anan speaks of,

if so, then they are Eth, of the race of humans, and if this is so, then might this King of Mkhai have emulated Thonic's knowledge? (I am trying to find still where in the lore it is said that Thonic was the creator of Porticulums)
    I beleive it is in early quest text that it states that Thontic created the Porticulums. That might be a half truth. Certainly it seems unlikely that the Guardian ones would be magitech. We do know that Thontic was responsable for the Travel stones system that the Ports tap into. Even the Defiants in the Pre Ember Isle event suggested that.

It would explain Defiant Porticulums though.

Its curious though that this device was the first peice of magitech. That gives us some idea of when the Magitech was developed in relation to the conflict with the bloodstorm since Anan lead the group that took down Regulos.

Plane Walker

Certainly it seems unlikely that the Guardian ones would be magitech.

what is always in the back of my mind though, when reading of the Eth, is that they are human, and so created by all the Gods of the Vigil. Did they surpass even what the Gods thought they might?
    Last edited by Mythue; 03-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Plane Walker

or could they have been created before one of the Gods joined the Vigil? or is there a city, a settlement, that has yet to be revealed, making up five settlements of the Eth, instead of four, connecting the Eth to the five Gods of the Vigil?

Plane Walker

one other little thing :)

the riftstalker is able to track air elementals, it seems somehow a connection to the Plane of Air.

Plane Walker

Certainly it seems unlikely that the Guardian ones would be magitech.

sorry I was reading this fast, so yes, maybe unlikely the Guardian portals would of come from magitech, The first portals opened though on both sides seem to be from the River of Souls?

I thought when we were doing the quests for the transport to EI during the lead up events they noted that the ports were simply lesser reconstructions of these great devices. Basically the ports let you move around on the same continent while the "biggies" let you span the globe.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Plane Walker

yes, the Porticulums that are scattered across Telara now, are of the same concept as the Travel Stones. I am not sure if they were created to replace the Travel Stones after Akylios bade the sea to swallow them up or if they were always there along with the Travel Stones. The Travel Stones did link up though to the other Porticulums when they were uncovered, maybe because of the repairs the Ascended did to them.

The Porticulum Masters know the ancient art of binding the souls, where they learnt this I am not sure of and if Thontic was the creator of the Travel Stones where he might have gotten this knowledge from. The Plane of Air? as there existed pathways through the elements before the dragons despoiled the planer realms.

The portals that do not seem to have magictech related to them are the portals like the rifts, the port that the Guardian travel through from the Sanctuary of Rebirth, the ports opened at the Eye of Regulos, and the one that the Bahmi travelled through, which might even have a binding spot on the other end.

Rift Disciple

I remembered a bit of lore from when I played through as my main, but you only get to see it once when you click on the porticulcum lady for the first time in Argent Glade, unlocking her. When the Divine Landing portal opened, this lore bit moved to him, and I took a screenshot of it when leveling up a new character.

"Not everything from the planes is evil and corrupt. Before the dragons despoiled the planar realms, there existed pathways through the elements that were blessed by the gods. See here one of the last remaining to us, the planar porticulum." -- Ethan Melankis

Leaves on the Wind, RP-Heavy Guardian Guild on Faeblight
    Do you Merisioux? Rift's newest RP Addon!

+ Reply to Thread