+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Races, Lore, and Classes

Default Races, Lore, and Classes

This is something I've been pondering for a little while, only because the game itself is very flexible, and I generally find the lore to be. I had a gander at the soul backstories, some of them are not named, but here's the more obvious ones - let me know if they match what you think when you say "druid" to yourself, or "Dwarf".

I think it also makes the point that there is no rigidity to what your character ~can~ be, depending on their path in life.

Bahmi

Saboteur, Champion, Paragon, Warlord

Dwarves

Assassin, Bard, Druid, Justicar, Void Knight

Eth

Nightblade, Riftblade, Archon, Chloromancer, Stormcaller

High Elves

Blade Dancer, Ranger, Beastmaster, Sentinel, Elementalists

Kelari

Cabalist, Warden, Purifier, Dominator

Mathosians

Marksman, Paladin, Shaman, Necromancer, Pyromancer, Warlock.
    Last edited by Akamhara; 03-13-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Plane Walker

I have been playing a character that is a rift stalker as a Guardian Elf and while doing so trying to imagine how this race might have come to know these ways, of shifting in an out of reality. The history of a riftstalker,

http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/r...iftstalker.php

I think in the opening of Rift, a riftstalker is shown and that they are human, and the race of humans was created by all the Gods, and were first seen as Wild Beasts in the forests of Traval. So might an elf have learnt of these ways through the humans? or through the bonds they have with the wild beasts? The history of the Riftstalker tells of an experiment, and at the end, tells of this riftstaker sparing the next generation of riftstalkers from pain. How though, I wonder still.

I'm a High Elf Ranger (pretty simple) but I also have a Kelari Necromancer.

Kelari are known for their tribal ways and some used to practice Living Sacrificies. My reasoning is that the Sacrificial Priestesses and or Burial Preistesses ( more often then not they were the same), had to have a interest in death for them to have such a role in the Kelari Tribe.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/defiant/kelari.php

http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/necromancer.php

I'm wondering why you paired Dwarf and Druid. Druids summon fae companions, which the Elves had ties with, not the Dwarves. IMO Elementalist for Dwarves, since they live traditionally live underground and the most used elementalist pet is the earth elemental, and Druid for Elves would make more sense.
    Last edited by GothWulfe; 03-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Rift Disciple

Trion's own official lore paired Dwarves with Druids.

--yeah, knock me over with a feather at that choice. Considering dwarves seem to live in delves (or 'halls of stone') and aren't the sort to tra-la-la through the forest weaving flowers and making faerie friends, according to a majority of their other lore. Sometimes it seems like different people wrote the Class and the Race lores, as there are some pretty thick inconsistencies provided between the two.

But! I do think all this showcases how any race can be any profession, allowing freedom of choice on the player's side.

Leaves on the Wind, RP-Heavy Guardian Guild on Faeblight
    Do you Merisioux? Rift's newest RP Addon!

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Myuriel View Post
    Trion's own official lore paired Dwarves with Druids.

--yeah, knock me over with a feather at that choice. Considering dwarves seem to live in delves (or 'halls of stone') and aren't the sort to tra-la-la through the forest weaving flowers and making faerie friends, according to a majority of their other lore. Sometimes it seems like different people wrote the Class and the Race lores, as there are some pretty thick inconsistencies provided between the two.

But! I do think all this showcases how any race can be any profession, allowing freedom of choice on the player's side.
    The first bard was a dwarf.

Think about that for a minute.

I had completely forgotten about that....probably just blocked it out of my mind since it made NO DAMN SENSE

Wouldn't it make sense for a Eth to be a Dominator?

Eths say confinement ( or something like that) of the mind is a terrible thing. So, wouldn't they want that for their enemies?

The classes and races I paired, as I said at the top are the ones that came from the class backgrounds from Trion's lore - as Myuriel kindly linked!

I found it curious as well, such as the dutiful, proud Mathosians catch some real dingers with death magic there.

But it does make a nice point about class flexibility, and how the gods were interchangeable patrons for guardians - and the motivations for the defiants, in some ways. Eth Stormcaller was a witch, etc.
    Nyathera, Kithra, Hekili, Nyalist @ Typhiria

Rift Disciple

Yeah... the race/class pairings make my brain hurt.

High Elves are the ones that started Quicksilver College to teach humans and dwarves arcane magic... but Elementalist is the only mage calling that has a high elf? Really? And not even a famous one, just generic.

I would have thought Bladedancer, Ranger, Chloromancer, and Druid for Elves. Grace, Nature, Nature and Nature.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that, for the most part, the little stories on each of the class pages are just that....stories....cute little bits of fluff showing one member of that class or the most famous personage of that class as opposed to being actual pairings. Sure, dwarves can be druids....but I'd bet the actual first one was an elf of some type and the same with most of the others.

Only, if you look on the lore, for example on... Alsbeth Rothmann.

Why is the Rothmann name so famous? Because of the Pyromancer - he was the first Pyromancer, and bound up Crucia - her turning to Regulos has that whole failing-of-a-mighty-lineage to it.

The same applies to the Sentinel story as well - the Elf is trying to reconcile the differences of the gods, which surely if someone had done beforehand, wouldn't be such a song and dance about him being a visionary.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    Only, if you look on the lore, for example on... Alsbeth Rothmann.

Why is the Rothmann name so famous? Because of the Pyromancer - he was the first Pyromancer, and bound up Crucia - her turning to Regulos has that whole failing-of-a-mighty-lineage to it.

The same applies to the Sentinel story as well - the Elf is trying to reconcile the differences of the gods, which surely if someone had done beforehand, wouldn't be such a song and dance about him being a visionary.
    You're wrong, he was not the first Pyromancer, he was just the best of his time and the first to be able to aptly wield the skills of the Pyromancer in battle. He learned Pyromancy from the High Elves at Quicksilver College, as Proin Drakenzol mentioned.

Like GothWulfe said, many of the lore pages are just stories about the more famous or proficient wielders of the skills they posess.

Regarding Warlord, quoted from the site, highlight mine:

That day, the Telarans seized victory, imprisoned Crucia, and entombed her forces in ice. Börte’s tactics would be studied for generations to come, but only Warlords of her tradition understood that it was inspiration, not mere strategy, that shattered the storm that day.

On Chloromancer:

... His eldritch equations had unlocked every mystery in Telara other than how to improve the mortal condition. Settling on the southern shore of the Lake of Solace, he turned his full attention to the problem of arcane healing. He gathered any sample he could from the Plane of Life, and his lab began to resemble a faetouched alien jungle.

Kamuzu’s peers thought his quest mad, and in their learned circles they even held a game to choose the right name for a Mage with his outlandish ideas, finally deciding upon “Chloromancer.”

Kamuzu Sagta was venerated, not as a priest, but as one of the first great Eth Mages. He taught his art and philosophy of mortal empowerment to the students who flocked to the charmed city.

Sentinel:

Niyol spent many years spreading his revelation, performing miracles, finding in every culture a link to the divine. When the gods formed the Vigil, Niyol’s sentinels spread hope through unity to all the people of Telara.

So I understand that some are general stories and lack a character, but in other cases it's quite clear that they are the creators of that particular pathway.

Quote Originally Posted by sijmister View Post
    You're wrong, he was not the first Pyromancer, he was just the best of his time and the first to be able to aptly wield the skills of the Pyromancer in battle. He learned Pyromancy from the High Elves at Quicksilver College, as Proin Drakenzol mentioned.

Like GothWulfe said, many of the lore pages are just stories about the more famous or proficient wielders of the skills they posess.
    He did learn from the elves at Quicksilver, but what it also says is that his tricks frightened his teachers, and he researched heavily into fire magic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast