+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Of Sourcestone

Plane Walker

Default Of Sourcestone

a Knowledge Collective in Koke's Hold says,

*bzzt* Sourcestone has been extensively studied by our technomancers, but little has been discerned in regards to *bzzt* exact nature.

Sourcestone in its most powerful form incorporates *bzzt* six elements to create an "ultimate" sourcestone. This is the sourcestone from which *bzzt* gods crafted Telara. Subjected to intense levels of planar energy, sourcestone *bzzt* become aligned to one element or the other. Examples of such "single flavor" sourcestone are *bzzt* found in the rifts. *bzzt*

So if Telara was crafted by this ultimate sourcestone, it has six elements, and I found myself wondering what these six elements are. Five are known to us if the elements are from the rifts, Fire, Earth Air and Water with maybe Regulos being like a Void? or what could be the 5th and 6th element that was incorporated in this sourcestone Telara was crafted from.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Death (or "Extinction") is the last element.

It's unusual to think of Life and Death as elements, but consider that it's specifically important to Telara's concept of how intelligent life can exist here.

Everything that has a beginning must have an end so that the cycle can renew. Nothing lasts forever, the only constant is change, and "Death" embodies this perfectly. You could similarly call it Entropy, Chaos, or Homogenization. (Life seeks to concentrate things like resources and proteins: death succeeds in spreading them back out and undoing homeostasis).

I admit the Sourcestone-infused Ascended immortals are in a unique position concerning Shadestone (the Death-aligned Sourcestone), as their struggle to stay alive seems to be negligible and they could, potentially, be entirely unchanging for the rest of their unnatural, unending lives. They're like the perfect opposites of the idea of Death or Extinction, yet while on the surface this sounds completely cool, the very existence of the Ascended threatens to throw off the entire balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Sword of Telara

Shadestone is sourcestone with mostly death energy
    Stormstone is sourcestone with mostly air energy

The other four I don't know, but if I had to guess:

Emberstone
    Faestone
    Abysstone
    Stonestone

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Emberstone
    Faestone
    Abysstone
    Stonestone
    lol, Stonestone. Somehow that reminds me of Ducky from The Land Before Time. :P

I'd venture;
    Emberstone (aye)
    Faestone ()
    Tidestone (heard it called this once, I think?)
    Earthstone (or Gemstone?)

Keep in mind that Sourcestone which is attuned to a Plane will, in turn, begin corrupting and influencing it's surrounding Sourcestone-built materials (which is basically everything in and on Telara). That's mostly why Kain was turned into a perfect vessel for Regulos: he spent so much time carrying the Shadestone Remnants of Aedraxis that his very body was attuned to the Plane of Death and, therefore, much easier for The Destroyer to influence and empower.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Chaser

Since there are six different elemental schools of magic, six different types of rift, six different Blood Storm gods and six different invading elemental planes, all of which correspond to each other, it seems highly likely that the six different elements making up Sourcestone correspond likewise, namely:

Earth
    Air
    Fire
    Water
    Life
    Death.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Plane Walker

this ultimate sourcestone incorporated with the six elements would seem to me then this Utopia the Gods of the Vigil speak of, a balance, a type of homeostasis that these six elements together would create.

And it was this way until the Bloodstorm came, which brought each of the 'single flavor' elements upon Telara, each of these seperate elements, seeing in Telara, an image of their element, that they wished to absorb, control? seperating the elements and so upsetting this Utopia.

These single elements, in the form of dragons, were imprisoned on Telara, and now begin to align with each other, so Telara, made of this ultimate sourcestone has somehow affected these single elements.

And so I question the Ward now, and why the God's of the Vigil felt a need to place this. Did they lose trust/faith that their Utopia, made of this ultimate soucestone could prevail? and I wonder if trust/faith might be a seventh element.

The pure sourcestone rests at the heart of Telara in the Nexus and Forge of Creation. It's like a Stem-Cell. On it's own, infinitely variable but presently useless.

When pure sourcestone is Touched by a Plane, you get mountains, metals, rivers, plants, people. The corruption is when a Plane totally takes over the Sourcestone; the balance is when it's simply a passing contact: a suggestion of influence. Not too much to corrupt, not too little that nothing is done or created.

Telara is the Utopia the Gods spoke about, and I believe the Ward was meant to be their "Save As" button to shield Telara from the corrupting touch of the Dragons or their Planes.
    Last edited by Morvick; 03-04-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Plane Walker

Tidestone is the name for water charged sourcestone. You have quests related to it in IPP.

I wish we found out more about the Forge of Bahvalt on Ember Isle. It offers tantalising nuggets of information but we never get to explore the details.

I dont see the Ward as a 'Save as' button. Prior to the first Bloodstorm War the planes apparently interacted with Telara a great deal more than they do now and their influence was far more obvious. When the Dragons came though the Ward blocked the planes influence out as well as the Dragons so the Telara today actually is a fair bit different than it was prior to the dragons.

I makes you wonder though what the full implications of the Ward coming down will mean.

Plane Walker

I see the Ward as being like a Veil, maybe like the Entropic Veil
    Last edited by Mythue; 03-05-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Plane Walker

"When pure sourcestone is Touched by a Plane, you get mountains, metals, rivers, plants, people."

I am not quite sure what you mean by this Morvick.

I see this ultimate sourcestone, made up of six elements as a plane in itself. Like you have the planes of singular elements and then a plane of all six.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    "When pure sourcestone is Touched by a Plane, you get mountains, metals, rivers, plants, people."

I am not quite sure what you mean by this Morvick.

I see this ultimate sourcestone, made up of six elements as a plane in itself. Like you have the planes of singular elements and then a plane of all six.
    I see the Planes like alternate possible realities, more like a solar-flare energy wave than an actual place to go visit. Each is like a nebula of possibilities and energy floating around Telara in space and time. However, where they touch Sourcestone, they become apparent and physical.

Like a Black Hole. We cannot observe it directly, but by the ways in which it affects the immediate surroundings, we can still measure and study it's properties.

So, for people. Take your Pure Sourcestone, and imagine it's a Stem Cell. We know that in Rift, everything that's anything is made up of Sourcestone, but the pure stuff is more like a glowing blue gemstone (in my imagination, it is as soft and malleable as lead or tin, quite unlike any natural material). It's not usable as anything except a power source in that state. A Stem Cell, similarly, has very little function because it is not specialized (though it's potential usefulness is unimaginable).

When the Gods and Defiant take lumps of sourcestone and mold them like clay into the forms of people, they would then allow each of the six Elemental Planes to "pass through" or Touch this person. Each Plane will lend a unique property to the Sourcestone it's put in contact with, and the addition of a Soul (or Planar Spirit) will give it a specific form. It's almost like the Soul is expressing itself through the Sourcestone.

In this regard, the Planes of Life and Death should have obvious impacts. Life will animate and give a hunger to this creature, while Death will instill a mortality and impermanence. The other Planes might get a bit more esoteric (Air gives breath, Earth shapes bones, etc. More-traditional Creation Myth kind of stuff).

If Telara is to be considered a Plane, though a poor one at that because it cannot influence the other Planes, then it is simply an "undifferentiated" and non-specified Plane. It has the potential to be anything because of all the unTouched Pure Sourcestone at the core of the planet. The Ward helps to protect Telara from further "corruption" by the Planes, that is, where it FAILS and you see a Rift, you can appreciate the difference. Corruption is where the Sourcestone goes completely to one Plane or another, and everything near it is similarly polarized. Like shedding a red lamp onto a painting: every color is changed by this invading energy, even though the underlying principles and fundamentals are still intact beneath the distorting light (remove the light or the Plane, and everything reverts).

That's how I see it all, anyway.
    Last edited by Morvick; 03-05-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Plane Walker

If Telara is to be considered a Plane, though a poor one at that because it cannot influence the other Planes, then it is simply an "undifferentiated" and non-specified Plane.

I was thinkingTelara more a place, a world, from this history of Telara,

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/planes/

and after reading more what the collective knowledge had to say, and including that "Sourcestone results when planes intersect with each other and with the physical material of Telara"

at a spot maybe moreso a nexus than a plane, I am very confused as to how the planes/elements become tangible after touching sourcestone, unless they become tangible by intersecting and take on a form of sourcestone?

Or even maybe this is not how sourcestone came to be, and like all the other ones we come across in Telara, it is only a perception of the technomancers who studied it.

How pure it is I don't know, even though it is considered 'ultimate', pureness to me means neutral and pure neutrailty is something I have yet to see or experience. I do remember though that the Dragon Tears were said to be pure elemental energy.
    Last edited by Mythue; 03-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    at a spot maybe moreso a nexus than a plane, I am very confused as to how the planes/elements become tangible after touching sourcestone, unless they become tangible by intersecting and take on a form of sourcestone?
    That's sort of Sourcestone's verb, though. It's the one thing it does which makes it valuable. As for how... well, magic? *shrug*

The Planes are like a paintbrush, the Sourcestone is the canvas. Qualities, properties, and textures are applied onto it and then erased as soon as the influence goes away.

And I do not believe Telara is actually a Plane, that was more for the sake of argument. It's a large ball of Sourcestone (and a very small planetoid, from looking at the Shadowlands screenshots... nowhere near the size of Luna). The nexus is a "thing", I believe, that almost tethers the Planes to one spot. It's the only point of reference around which the different Planes might orient themselves, and when the Gods built Telara around it, they were pretty much building a planet in the center of a huge bull's eye.

All of this is actually why I think the Vigil are also planar beings, though as I said elsewhere of a more esoteric type so they are not tied to a specific plane as the Bloodstorm. They made the world of the very substance that rains from the Rifts. Hell maybe they made this world at the crossroads of the planes out of the very stuff of all the planes as a way to fight them. In essence a grand experiment, trying to unify the essence of the various planes into one focus that would be more powerful than any of the other planes individually. Who would have known that Regulos could get the other knuckleheads to, while not fighting in concert, stop fighting each other and to go after such a prize?
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    All of this is actually why I think the Vigil are also planar beings, though as I said elsewhere of a more esoteric type so they are not tied to a specific plane as the Bloodstorm. They made the world of the very substance that rains from the Rifts. Hell maybe they made this world at the crossroads of the planes out of the very stuff of all the planes as a way to fight them. In essence a grand experiment, trying to unify the essence of the various planes into one focus that would be more powerful than any of the other planes individually. Who would have known that Regulos could get the other knuckleheads to, while not fighting in concert, stop fighting each other and to go after such a prize?
    Telara as a weapon to sieze all the Planes under the control of the Vigil... haha, NOW we're talkin'. That's some respectable magalotheical ambition right there, lol.

It was mentioned (from the Defiant side I think) that Sourcestone is created when the Planes interact, though this stone is inherently corrupted/impure, at least until it comes in contact with the remaining Planes to become Pure Sourcestone.

So for that matter, maybe the Nexus of Telara was a natural phenomenon: the by-product of all 6 Planes being so close and fusing/interacting with each other until a biblically-large blob of the purest Sourcestone had been amassed, and which attracted the Vigil's collective eyes with curiosity and a twinkle of creativity.

Dragons have their hoards. Gods have their worlds.
    Last edited by Morvick; 03-06-2012 at 12:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast