+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kedon

Thread: what does Uriel speak of?

Default what does Uriel speak of?

More than once Uriel Chuluun speaks of how her father Rahn has failed the Bahmi or "our people" and her corruption is at least in part driven by her obsession to not repeat her father's "mistake." I have searched high and low trying to find details on this failure and have come up empty. Anyone else find something?
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Aren't the Bahmi somewhat obsessed (concerned about) keeping their bloodline pure, as tribute to their ancestors? I wish I knew more first-hand, but this seems like a possibility, doesn't it? That he feels like he's lead the Bahmi away from what they were once proud to be; either in cultural norms or in the purity of their ancestral lineage.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

It seems more literal than that though. According to their norms his joining the defiant is a near necessity, they owe a debt of hospitality to the only peoples that would welcome them after the first war so it can't be that. Turning their back on the Eth would be the failure. There is nothing to indicate he has breached traditions in a way that would be seen as a failure.

When she speaks about it she seems to be speaking of direct failires, not breaches of tradition. It is REALLY annoying me.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Don't be annoyed.

Just like the Kelari story, it will likely be told in a larger patch, with a zone focused on the Bahmi, IMO. Ember Isle cleared up a good bit of the Kelari story that was only vaguely hinted at beforehand, and I think Trion will do the same with the Bahmi. (and on the note, the same with Borrin's Lord's Hall, Port Scion, Eth's magitech theme not including the Convication, and possible High Elven origins when the world was created).

In other words, you can't know, and won't know until they release a zone, or raid, or questline that details this stuff.

I don't recall anything being mentioned of what he exactly did; only that he did something to ensure that the bahmi were boned when the rifts came. I don't think he would have directly betrayed anyone, but his crime might be one of avoidance until it was too late. "The ancestors will protect us! Protect what we can protect, but we will be guided by the anestors." etc etc?
    Last edited by Maeloda; 03-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Hmmm. Or maybe rather than "the ancestors will protect us" it was "we can return to the home of our ancestors" and he instead he said "no. The obligations of hospitality mean we must forsake the home of our ancestors and instead repay our debt to the Eth" perhaps? This eould explain why he is still leader. A "true" failure such as doing nothing as your people die in most honor bound traditions is grounds for commiting suicide or lynching, let alone being removed from office.

Something a little more "grey" where two different but equally tradition based beliefs/desires coming into conflict is the only thing I could think of that would keep him in power while at the same time "failing" in the minds of some. He is apparently still strong in his leadership because when we do not kill Uriel but instead apprehend her we are commended for our wisdom. If we did kill her it is said that Rahn would have left the alliance and taken the Bahmi with him. That shows that on the whole his failure of the Bahmi people is clearly not clear cut regardless of the passion it illicits in his daughter.
    Last edited by Galibier; 03-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Ascendant

I'm trying hard to remember where I saw the line. But I think at some point Rahn comments that he believes Uriel partly blames him for her mother's death when the planes attacked their tribe following the rifts appearance.

I'll take a look around next time I'm on, see if I can find the quote.

Plane Walker

I think she lays the blame for a lot of the deaths of their people on his shoulders. Many Bahmi have died and Rahn is their leader. I always assumed that she feels that the way he dealt with the rifts and other turmoil has cost her people a lot more in terms of power, lives and culture than it necessarily could have and as the guy in charge of them, Rahn is the one who could have avoided that.

Plane Walker

I remember reading once that he was of the Red Sun Tribe. I hope he still is....:)

Plane Walker

If you ask him about himself he tells you he was the Cheif of the Red Sun Tribe (the greatest of hunters) but even their stength couldnt protect them from the rifts. They lost many of their people which Uriel blames him for. In particular Uriel's mother.

Id love to see some badass old Bahmi chieftan kicking *** at some point in the future. Hes got that old badass feel to him.

+ Reply to Thread