+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ever think we'll be able to join a dragon cult?

Default Ever think we'll be able to join a dragon cult?

I know it's unlikely, but what do you guys think?

That's its extremely unlikely? Considering the dragons are all about turning Telara into either a nigh inhabitable wasteland of some sort or completely destroying it.

Kind of counter productive for you as a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Rift Chaser

I really doubt it. The dragon cults are the enemies of the setting, they're the opposition that the heroes are supposed to define themselves against. Making them playable is about as likely as making the Burning Legion a playable faction in WoW.

Nothing to say you can't roleplay an EX-member of a dragon cult of course - there's at least one prominent example of that in the game already

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Personally I think this topic could be advanced in the game ... would be kind of cool in some ways.
    The dev's appear to have no want at this time for that sorta thing .... here's Nick and Lindsay's (lore leads) answer when they were asked the same question ....

Question from Ayonyx: will players be able to align with any of these 'factions' beyond their initial faction choices at character creation?
    <%missdoomcookie> The bad guys?
    <+Ayonyx> yes.
    <%captaincursor> The one who would end the game?
    <+Ayonyx> yes
    <%missdoomcookie> That's not planned.
    <%captaincursor> So you'd be sucessful in your raid and the dragons get released and the game would end for everyone?
    <%captaincursor> Not at this time.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Hehe, I like that reaction. "You want to join the doomsday cults that want see the world consumed by dragons and end the game?"

"Yes"

"...not at this time."

Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    That's its extremely unlikely? Considering the dragons are all about turning Telara into either a nigh inhabitable wasteland of some sort or completely destroying it.

Kind of counter productive for you as a player.
    You must not know any communists.

Maybe in a quest, as a type of infiltrator.

Actually, joining a dragon cult could be entirely viable. Here's why!

Looking at the various deities of the Blood Storm, the only ones that are after
    immediate destruction of Telara are Regulos and possibly Maelforge and Akylios - the last two are really situations where things could go either way, even though both would lead to eventual "cleansing" of Telara, just through different methodology.

Crucia wants to have people worship and adore her and follow her every word and command, so destroying Telara is against her modus operandi. If she did take over Telara, she'd likely revive the Storm Legion in some form, and the offer of power and favour of the ruling goddess (or one that is believed to be powerful enough to become such) is likely appealing to mortals - even if it means signing away their freedoms to an extent.

Greenscale...is a bit complicated. On the one hand, House Aelfwar and the denizens who have joined it from the Plane of Life have fairly good reasoning, in their minds at least, as to why they are following Greenscale. It wouldn't be too far fetched for druidic and nature types to end up wanting to join the Aelfwar, especially the more feral of them. There is, however, the off chance that he'll end up destroying most of the Aelfwar for leeching off his power while he's been trapped, rather than getting him out; or he might reward them greatly - dragons are strange in their thoughts, apparently.

Laethys has been noted to not want the world to be destroyed, and she offers pretty much all of the good vices that mortals tend to fall for - passion/lust and greed. People being lured into her sway isn't all that far fetched, so the Golden Maw is a viable option for a cult that players can join if they ever go that way.

Maelforge's Wonton cult would be viable for the soul fact that they likely believe that they would be spared from the dragons purging cycles, so it would be more of a "I don't want to die, I'lll ally with this guy" thing. Essentially a cowardly act of desperation, but completely viable if one thinks about it. Either that, or the person in question is a destructive and chaos bound nightmare of a person, and they wish to join only for the chances to destroy literally everything in their sights on a regular basis, without restriction as they would have in the Guardians or Defiants.

Akylios would be much like Maelforge as far as motivations to join, as a person might see it as the most viable way to survive, believing that the Abyssal will be spared due to the gift of water breathing or the like. It is very unclear whether this deity would immediately wash the world away or if he would wait, and it is also unclear as to whether he'd spare enough non-followers to repopulate so he can do it all again. I suppose I could see some really hardcore water baby types joining this cult, but I personally can't think of any particular concept for that type of character.

Regulos, on the other hand, will end up destroying Telara entirely. His Endless Court are mostly fools who believe his promises about amazing power over undeath and the undead, and may be fooling themselves into believing that once Regulos ravages Telara, they will all move onto another plane or world to continue their horrors. One could argue that this would still be a viable cult to join, but given the way they've set up the lore, it would be the least likely to be allowed.

Personally, I'd welcome a multi-faction set up, although I don't know if an additional four factions would be a great idea. Perhaps adding a general "Dragon Cult" faction that allows the members to chose who they get their faction perks from via a quest or something. A three way PvP environment would rock!

Soulwalker

At the very least, a player run Dragon Cult Guild could be established. I for one would love that; it could add another level to the game. Just because the debs have no interest in creating a faction for it doesn't mean that the players aren't allowed to.

So if someone wants to start up a Dragon guild, sign me up! Also, thank you Darkfae for that great and informative break down of the dragons and their motives.

I like Darkfae's idea, but I doubt it will happen, at least joining with dragons specifically (which would be totally awesome) but if we're lucky we may get an expansion that allows for alignment with a planes faction, see: Prince Bahmi.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfae View Post
    Actually, joining a dragon cult could be entirely viable. Here's why!

Greenscale...is a bit complicated. On the one hand, House Aelfwar and the denizens who have joined it from the Plane of Life have fairly good reasoning, in their minds at least, as to why they are following Greenscale. It wouldn't be too far fetched for druidic and nature types to end up wanting to join the Aelfwar, especially the more feral of them. There is, however, the off chance that he'll end up destroying most of the Aelfwar for leeching off his power while he's been trapped, rather than getting him out; or he might reward them greatly - dragons are strange in their thoughts, apparently.

!
    Simple reason after watching 5 lvl 20 invasions run over the corpse of my poor newbie high elf i was feeling like a high school quaterback just sacked by the entire Green Bay offence, it wasnt so much fie evil Aelfwar if was more Dang i wanta join those guys.

I've actually argued something along these lines...though likely for an entirely different reason.

As a PvP player I would love an additional "dragon cult" type faction with an ffa ruleset, able to fight both starting factions as well as each other.

Who knows what could be possible down the road in an expansion, something along those lines certainly seems to be theoretically possible to implement if the devs weren't against it.
    - Lord Taldier

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
    - Nietzsche

No, no, no and both Guardians and Defiants are here to make sure you don't.

+ Reply to Thread