+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morvick

Thread: Lore Compendium

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Lightbulb Lore Compendium

LORE COMPENDIUM
    < A Player-submitted archive of our speculations and deductions. >

WARNING: This post is a coding and organizational nightmare. Please do not quote it.

Well, here's our shot guys. I want to help assemble all of our collective Lore knowledge into this thread, but there's no way I can hope to do it alone.
    Your help will be key!

If you know about a piece of in-game Lore, and can cite your claims, your submissions will be most welcome.
    Submit a proper Entry to the thread like you would any other post, and notify me (in a PM) so that it can later be archived in the Table of Contents below.

Criteria for submissions:
    1. Accuracy. Nobody wants to be misled, so cite your sources (links will do fine) at the end of each Submission you make!
    2. Quality. A quality post will ideally be concise and clear, highly readable (not one big wall of text), with proper spelling and grammar throughout.
    3. Focus. Keep your entries "narrow", or focused tightly on the topic you choose. We'll have plenty of entries, so avoid the urge to derail your own topic.
    4. Neutrality. This isn't the place to push your bias, so endeavor to keep any faction-specific information or history as emotionally neutral as possible.
    5. Credit. Under no circumstance should you take credit for someone else's knowledge. :)

Table of Contents In alphabetical order.
    These are merely starter ideas: feel free to post about whatever catches your interest, or request that a topic be placed here (in the hopes that someone will write about it).
    • [ A ]
      • Ascended: Biology
    • [ B ]
      • Bahmi: Culture and Traditions
    • [ C ]
      • Crucia: Dragon of Air
    • [ D ]
      • Dragons: Nature of the Bloodstorm
    • [ E ]
      • Eth: Ancient History
    • [ F ]
      • Farclan: History and Practices
    • [ G ]
      • Greenscale: Dragon of Life
    • [ H ]
      • Hammerknell: Tainted Pride of the Dwarves
    • [ I ]
      • Iron Pine Peaks: Locals and History
    • [ J ]
      • Justicars: Souls of the Lawful
    • [ K ]
    • [ L ]
      • Lantern Hook: Speculations and Visions
    • [ M ]
      • Magitech: Mechanisms and Functionality
      • Mathosia: Kingdoms and Bloodlines
      • Meridian: Account of History
    • [ N ]
      • Necromancers: To Tame the Dead
    • [ O ]
    • [ P ]
    • [ Q ]
      • Quantum Sight: Visions through Time
    • [ R ]
      • Regulos: Dragon of Death
    • [ S ]
      • Shade: Events Surrounding the Calamity
    • [ T ]
      • Thontic: God of Mysteries
    • [ U ]
      • Unseen: Secret Agents of the Defiant
    • [ V ]
      • Valmera: Proper Training and Breeding
    • [ W ]
      • Ward: Architecture
    • [ X ]
      • Xenophobia: Perspectives on The Vigil and Planar Invaders
    • [ Y ]
      • Yule: Accounts of Festival Proceedings
    • [ Z ]
      • Zareph Mathos: Biography
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Default Kain the Fallen: Biography

Before the Shade
    Frederic Kain was a soldier in Aedraxis' army, fighting with a terrible ferocity during the throes of the Mathosian Civil War. He was the mighty rival of Cyril Kalmar, matching that giant of a man strength-for-strength and victory-for-victory. Kain died like so many others when the Tyrant King misled Orphiel Farwind and used a Magitech machine supplied by the magician to sunder the Ward and unleash the Rifts.

While floating peaceably in the Soul Stream, a Messenger of the Vigil offered him the same choice she offered many other great soldiers: redemption and life, or an eternal drift between worlds. He was chosen, she explained, for his power and perseverance in combat -- and as many would later attest, certainly not for his virtues or wisdom. Kain accepted her offer of power, receiving a grim omen: that it would be his task to help see Aedraxis killed, and his corrupted remnants collected. If Frederic Kain believed in nothing else, it was the necessity of this single mission and his ability to complete it.

Ascension and Service to the Gods
    Stepping onto the battlefield as a newly-resurrected Ascended, Frederic Kain bent his knee to the military command of his arch-rival, Cyril Kalmar (who was charged by the Messengers to lead this revitalized Guardian order). Receiving his rank as Marshall, Kain fulfilled the first segment of his prophecy and laid siege against Aedraxis' defenses, eventually bringing about the obliteration of the Mad King and his "heresy". Kain was with the Guardian army throughout their flight to Port Scion, and then to a newly-constructed Sanctum. He was given command of the 12th Sanctuary Guards, an elite special-strike regiment that was mobilized to help him fulfill the second demand of his prophecy.

Seeking Evil
    The battle-hardened Kain endured every discomfort and quickly earned a reputation for his ruthless, and endless, pursuit of the Remnants of Aedraxis. He became short-tempered with Marshall Oakheart in the Gloamwood, chastising the man for giving aid to the residents of Gloamwood Pines when there was greater, Holier work to be done with the resources and soldiers depleted for such a task. He later moved his search out to the Scarwood Reach, pursuing rumors of another Remnant of Aedraxis, which he recovered. The Guardian Ascended hero who had shattered Aedraxis' body twenty years previous had uncovered another prophecy for Kain within King's Breach: that Kain would either purge the evil of the Remnants from his soul, or succumb to their whispers and madness, and the Ascended Hero would bear witness to either of these outcomes.

As the mission wore on, yet more pieces were uncovered in the mountains of Iron Pine Peak, where Kain's temporary tolerance of the nearby Defiants threatened what little calm remained in him. With every acquisition of these corrupted essences, Marshall Kain's mood darkened and his ferocity increased. His men saw it as grim determination or perhaps frustration, but something wicked was beginning to take root in Kain's heart and feed off his zealous pride.

Critical Choices
    Events began to cascade out of control in Stillmoor where Regulos' corruption was strongest. Kain, in his misguided interpretation of the Messenger's prophecy, began to see Remnants where none existed: in the water. In the soil and crops. Even within the very refugees he had once saved some twenty years ago. As he pushed the 12th to more and more extreme crimes of war, soldiers under his command began to rebel against him. This was met with cruel punishment, varying from a live burial of his Captain to outright slaughter of his own warriors. Ser Martyn was the last to defy the orders of a long-gone Kain, and he too was struck down (and later Ascended for his display of courage). Kain surmised that his actions were the Vigil's doing, that their instruction for him to collect the Remnants of Aedraxis unto himself was meant as a gift to Regulos the Destroyer.

Fully embracing this dark future, Marshall Frederic Kain finally ceased to be.
    There was now only Kain the Fallen, new Avatar of Regulos.

Last edited by Morvick; 02-18-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

what I am not sure has been done, but what I would like to see is a collection of the artifacts completed, what belongs to what, I think much lore of the History of Telara is shown through these, like the artifact of the Abyssal book of Names belonging to the Secrets of the Ascended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    what I am not sure has been done, but what I would like to see is a collection of the artifacts completed, what belongs to what, I think much lore of the History of Telara is shown through these, like the artifact of the Abyssal book of Names belonging to the Secrets of the Ascended.
    I'm hoping to represent those Artifacts in larger articles, such as "Mathosians: Kingdoms and Bloodlines". A straight-up list of the Artifacts would be hard to put into perspective and sustain a topic about. You're welcome to give it a shot, of course, but there's just so many Artifacts (Twisted as well) that you'd be undertaking a task more monumental than this Compendium.

Here is a list of all archived Artifacts. Certainly some of them would help you flesh out an article, but to make the subject stand alone and remain relevant would be difficult.
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-18-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Plane Walker

this is a great list, thank you, and a great reference. I played with the search feature a bit, looking up certain characters like Orphiel, Kain and Shyla, the twisted ones seem like little jokes sometimes :) and I was surprised to see none for the Faceless Man.
    Last edited by Mythue; 02-19-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Plane Walker

A less complicated one I would like to add are the Porticulums. What the Porticulums Masters say when you first come across them and unlock them. I am currently playing in the Guardian Lore and have only discovered three so far, and I don't remember if the Defiant Porticulum Masters say the same thing, but I think it would be interesting to see what they say.

I am wondering though, if this is too is already out there on another rift site as well and can just be linked.

Plane Walker

something like this, though I wish images can be directly downloaded to here.

http://imagesofrift.wordpress.com/

If you would like to create an article about the Porticulums (and the Travel Stones, which function like fantasy "lodestones"?) I would welcome the addition.

My own time was swamped the day after I made my "Kain" entry, but I do have plans to contribute regularly to this Compendium when my schedule frees a little and would encourage anyone with an interest to try their hand, as well.

I'll certainly have time each day to clarify and edit the First Post for you as required, so don't be shy. =]
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Plane Walker

an article of images for now then. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    an article of images for now then.
    I added the link to the Table of Contents, but will probably expand on those images with contextual information in an entry. Example; we'd need the Defiant explanation of Porticulums to be complete, and any other secondary information that's mentioned elsewhere can be part of the same article.
    For now though, yes, the images will suffice. =]
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Plane Walker

can you change the link to this one instead?

http://porticulumsofrift.wordpress.com/

I am not sure where this is going to go, so I still like that it is a temporary entry.
    Last edited by Mythue; 02-23-2012 at 07:09 AM.

I'll add it to the current link, yes.

Default Orphiel Farwind: Biography

Since our resident Guardian started with Kain, I felt it proper that I start with Orphiel.

Sources here: http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/1561614119/Orphiel-Farwind and http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Orphiel_Farwind

Orphiel Farwind is the founder and leader of the Defiant. From his workshop in Meridian, he oversees the Defiant's work on sourcestone technology. He is credited with creating or at least activating many Eth machines.
    Orphiel before the Defiant

When Asha, Alsbeth, Corwin and Zareph were young, Orphiel was brought to court as their tutor.

Years later he became the court technomancer to King Aedraxis, but at some point during the Mathosian civil war Orphiel and his followers joined the rebels led by the middle brother, Zareph Mathos.

In the battles of that war, and in the destruction that occurred when the Eye of Regulos was closed and Aedraxis was shattered, Orphiel's forces were decimated thoroughly. He retreated with his remaining followers, mostly members of the Eth and Bahmi, to Port Scion where he joined Zareph Mathos in defending Telara.

After the fall of Port Scion, he refused to abide by the Guardian's ban on technology, instead forming The Defiant to protect Telara. Along with Asha Catari, he vowed that ingenuity and perseverance, not faith in deities, would deliver Telara from the threat of the planes.
    Orphiel and the Defiant

Orphiel brought his love of technology and inventions with him to Meridian and the Defiant. Orphiel uses Sourcestone to create many weapons, such as guns and bombs, but also larger devices. Orphiel seems capable of melding magic and technology to create fantastic inventions, ranging from teleportation devices to time travel instruments.

Orphiel and Asha Catari established the Defiant to protect Telara. However, without the aid of Ascended, the Defiant were unable to defend themselves from the Guardians very effectively. In the original timeline of Telara, Orphiel disappeared shortly after creating his Failsafe Device. Though no one knows how or why he disappeared originally, the return of Ascended Defiant to the present seems to have postponed if not altogether prevented his disappearance.
    Trivia

Orphiel once saved Cyril's life during the fall of Port Scion with a sourcestone bomb. He used the bomb to destroy planar creatures that had besieged Cyril.

Point of View

Remember that what you see or hear of Orphiel in the introductory quests is from two different timelines. The Defiants hear of his actions in a world lost to the blind arrogance of the "faithful", and the Guardians see him in a world that was rapidly going to hell, but neither of those are the shard we see him in today. They are not the same person. Each affects and is affected by the decisions he made in response to the events in that timeline.

Remember, in our own world Leonardo da Vinci designed and built many siege machines and weapons for his wealthy patrons to fund his art and science. Was he evil if they were used for evil? Is a gun evil, or is it the man that uses it to murder?
    Player Conversations

As a Guardian, you meet him three times in Mathosia:

In the woods of Bloodmurk Grove, furtively removing a device on a table. He warns you to stay away from the device, it is not ready to be tested. When he has left you find a letter on the table from Aedraxis to Orphiel, congratulating him on the design of his latest invention, Ethect, telling him to bring it to him at his camp, and warning him not to leave this letter just lying around for someone to find.

On the path of Vigilant Rise, Orphiel says "Get away from this place! I will steal the power of the Vigil if it's the last thing I do!"

At Ascendant Hall, when you have destroyed Ethect, Orphiel screams "What have you done? Ethect would have allowed me to siphon the Vigil's power! You will regret this!", then after the fight, as he runs away, he says "I... I can't die like this! One day I shall replicate Ascension and destroy you all!"

From the Guardian perspective in the Mathosian timeline, it is very hard to see Orphiel as anything but a sick, evil man.

As a Defiant, you meet and speak with him in the top room of Orphiel's Spire in Meridian, well after your return from the doomed future of Terminus. All you know of him in that failed timeline is that he founded the Defiant, built the Failsafe Device and vanished at some point, leaving Sylver Valis to complete the Time Portal to send you back.

Orphiel Farwind: They say you came from the future? Let me take a look at you. Amazing. I knew we could do it. I founded the Defiant because I never stopped believing such wonders were possible with technology, and now I am vindicated. Let the Guardians wait for miracles... we will make our own!

Player: What are you doing?
    Orphiel Farwind: With this telescope, I can make rudimentary charts of the planes. It lets me peer beyond the Ward!

Player: You weren't with the Defiants in the future.
    Orphiel Farwind: I wonder where it was that I went to? I guess we will never know, will we? The time has been changed, and nothing that happens from here on out will be the same. I have no intention of going anywhere anytime soon.

Orphiel Farwind - Accounts of Orphiel

Few figures in Telara’s history are as controversial as Orphiel Farwind. Though a full account of his life and times is all but impossible to convey due to spotty records and Orphiel’s own silence, the following documents may shed some light.

Excerpt of a letter from Theo Catari, Royal Advisor in Matters Magical, to Jostir Mathos, King of Mathosia

As regards this Orphiel Farwind, I admit I have heard of him. Of Ethian stock, I think, self-taught, and a prodigy. We have had occasion to correspond, and his thoughts on sourcestone theory and planar dynamics are revolutionary. Note my deliberate word choice. If you are looking for a tutor for your princes, to ground them in sound magical theory and ancient lore, you can do better than Orphiel Farwind by choosing randomly from any graduating class at Quicksilver College. As my daughter Asha currently resides in your palace, I hope for her sake that you do not expose these impressionable young minds to Farwind’s radical notions.

From the diary of Asha Catari, age 12

Master Orphiel today told us about the ancient Eth—like me!— who tamed half the world and created a golden age of magic and learning. Oh how grand to have miniature cities made of crystal where mice are enchanted to walk upright and put on plays, or to ride to war on a mechanical horse powered by lightning. He says that the technology is like a pearl hidden under the sea-bed. You can find it if you dig hard enough, and then everything will glitter. You just have to use it more carefully than the old Eth did, so nothing goes out of control. I was so rapt I forgot to take notes, but Aedraxis offered to let me copy his. Zareph just sat and scowled the whole time.

Overheard discussion between King Aedraxis and Orphiel Farwind, visiting the palace at royal request

“So you say the ancient Eth built war machines?” asked Aedraxis, sipping his velvet-purple wine.

“At first, yes. Sourcestone-fueled wonders that were especially effective against the dragons. This pales in comparison to the engines of prosperity they developed based on these early inventions.”

“War so often is the father of progress,” said the king.

“A shame for progress, then, that Mathosia has known such a long peace,” Orphiel said with an ironic smile.

Aedraxis sighed, his broad shoulders sloping. “It will not last, my teacher. I fear certain citizens who’ve grown too rich in ambition. Like the noble Eth of old, I would have machines to bring a merciful end to my enemies.”

Orphiel leaned forward intently. “I could build you such devices, Highness, given the promise that once war is over, we explore the technology’s peacetime applications.”

Aedraxis nodded sagely, and said, “Only under those conditions would I agree.”

Raj Tahleed, Dean of Planar Studies in Meridian, giving a lecture on the renaissance of Eth technology

Of course one cannot blame Orphiel for Aedraxis’s crimes. Yes, he used Orphiel’s machines to break the Ward, but there is no way Orphiel could have known. Yes, perhaps Aedraxis did turn progressively more obviously sinister as the war ground on, but Farwind had been his teacher when the king was just a lad. It is hard to see wickedness in those you love. Besides, the great mind was never present for Aedraxis’s deadlier tantrums, isolating himself with his work. And it was Orphiel, after all, who rallied the Eth and the Bahmi to march to Port Scion and support Prince Zareph against the rifts. He was the first Defiant, and let no man forget!

Kip Bayne, graverobber, current member of the Unseen, in his cups

I brought the man a fragment of bone from a fresh grave like he asked, and watched as he lay it on his fancy slab. Took a whole lot of sourcestone (must’ve cost a king’s fortune) and built a figure of a woman. He pulled the lever and there was a flash, brighter than anything I ever thought I’d see. For a while, nothing happened. The man kept tugging nervously at his dozen collars. Then, a voice came, a pretty woman’s voice: “Orphiel?”

She formed around the sourcestone frame: bone, then meat, then skin, and then these bright tattoos blazed to life on her dusky flesh. I knew that girl. Asha Catari, she was. She sat up and stared at Orphiel, who just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Activity transcript from Rusty, primary automaton assistant to Orphiel Farwind

REPORT: Currently operating at 98% exertion at the master’s bidding.

REPORT: Attempts to complete alternative Ascension Process 0% successful.

REPORT: Have inquired of the master why such steps are necessary, as Sylver Valis and other Defiant have perfected the process already. Master claimed that alternative means would make Ascended far more common and allow Defiant to overwhelm Guardians and riftspawn. Not having to rely strictly on temporal travel, according to the master, is also highly desirable.

REPORT: Instance of visitors to the master’s study has lessened by 65% since the first Ascension. Most visitors now seek council of Asha Catari and other Ascended.

REPORT: The Master stands at his tower window for hours at a time. Mutterings included the following: “I must perfect Ascension. Could I even assign it to a living mortal? Test it on myself, of course…”

A very good entry, GothWulfe. Thank you. =]

Plane Walker

I now feel like gathering all information I can of Ascension and sending it to him :)

REPORT: The Master stands at his tower window for hours at a time. Mutterings included the following: “I must perfect Ascension. Could I even assign it to a living mortal? Test it on myself, of course…”

and in this I wonder if he does test Ascension on himself, and this is why he disappears.
    Last edited by Mythue; 02-26-2012 at 06:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread