+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The story put together?

Default The story put together?

Evening everyone!

Thus far, from what I've learned of the lore in Rift, I love it.

But, I find it VERY hard to get into it, it's just way too much.

Is there any continuous story out there? A well put together story that explains everything there is to know about RIFT and it's inhabitants, the cultists, the cults, the dragons, just everything in one, large, multiple-chaptered story?

I hope you understand what I mean.

It's really hard getting everything right when there's so much spread around everywhere, and putting it all together in a sensible way.

I've read the sticky timeline, but it's not what I'm talking about ^^

Thanks for the responses!
    In Soviet Telara, environment raids you.
    Check out my twitch:
    https://www.twitch.tv/ahnket

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I haven't encountered a single cohesive synopsis, but even if it exists, you would see distinct differences between the Guardian telling of it, and the Defiant account. I guess you could always check out the Quest text over at Rift.Zam.com, but that's pretty hardcore, lol.

That being said... it'd be a mighty fine project to try to undertake... *schemes*
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-16-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I haven't encountered a single cohesive synopsis, but even if it exists, you would see distinct differences between the Guardian telling of it, and the Defiant account. I guess you could always check out the Quest text over at Rift.Zam.com, but that's pretty hardcore, lol.

That being said... it'd be a mighty fine project to try to undertake... *schemes*
    Aww, too bad!

But I like where that sentence is going! I'd love to try to undertake such a mission myself, but there's no freetime on my hands left to give a project like this the care it needs.
    In Soviet Telara, environment raids you.
    Check out my twitch:
    https://www.twitch.tv/ahnket

Sword of Telara

I remember there being a very nice "history of the Mathosian Empire", though it was (understandably) incredibly Guardian biased.

Plane Walker

would this begin as everything in Telara once was elemental energy before becoming converted to mass by the Vigil?
    Last edited by Mythue; 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Shadowlander

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I found this video on YouTube many months ago. A bit boring in some parts (Cromar isn't exactly the best narrator). Also, I'm not sure where he got all of his information - whether it was from the books in-game, a special "hand-out" to Beta players, the website, etc. Regardless, IF the information is accurate, then you might find it useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sANOM...AE3DB1A78891FF

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Crim80 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I found this video on YouTube many months ago. A bit boring in some parts (Cromar isn't exactly the best narrator). Also, I'm not sure where he got all of his information - whether it was from the books in-game, a special "hand-out" to Beta players, the website, etc. Regardless, IF the information is accurate, then you might find it useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sANOM...AE3DB1A78891FF
    Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.

Most of the lore in Rift is written from a certain limited perspective. Much like Elder Scrolls in that regard. Which certainly explains the stance that video takes.

(that said, Eth Side 4 lyfe)

The bad part of trying to put something like this together from quest text is that it is going to be completely biased to either the Guardian or Defiant depending on the quest. It all really boils down to propaganda. You always want to make it out that your side is the one that is right, when the truth is actually somewhere in the middle.

Take the entire Guardian/Defiant split....after looking though numerous posts, I have yet to run across anything saying that the Vigil said "Kill all the heretics because they are evil!" yet that is the attitude that Brother Jebiah <and seemingly to a lesser extant Cyril> takes and because of him, the attitude of lots of other Guardians as well. IMO he is pretty much like any other religious zealot, with the attitude of "I KNOW what the Gods want. No, they didn't come right out and tell me...but I KNOW! After all, if they didn't want me to do what I'm doing then they would tell me, so I MUST be right." <Of course, this is completely ignoring the fact that, the way I understand it, the Vigil hasn't spoken directly to ANYONE in quite a long time.> I.E., he is a nutcase and either no Guardian has figured this out yet, or they have and are too afraid they will be branded as "Heretic of the Week". After all, there is an awful lot of torture that can be done to "cleanse someone of evil" that can be done to someone that keeps coming back from the dead.

When you get right down to it, the whole thing boils down to the Guardians <as a whole> think the Defiant are evil becuase they basically told the Vigil "Fine, if YOU aren't going to fix things, then WE will, your ban on migitech be damned." and the Defiant <as a whole> think that the Guardians are misguided fools putting their faith in salvation from a small group of Gods who seem to be powerless to actually save them. The truth though? Now that is an entirely different shade of grey that lies somewhere between.

And that's just one of the problems that would arise from putting a "complete history" together from quest text. Hells, there is also the "two faces of Orphiel" that are apparent...in the Guardian starting area he is a power-hungry madman....yet in Meridian, he is nothing like this...more of a "absent-minded professor" type who is so focused on figuring things out that he completely ignores the outside world. Could the latter become the former? Of course, given that he is tinkering with the timeline...but the former becoming the latter is hardly likely and taking into consideration that the Orphiel in teh Guardian starting zone, to me anyway, seems to be the Orphiel if that time <I.E. no time travel involved, he was always like this and that was his real reason for building the machine for Aedraxis> then the two just don't fit.

It really all boils down to perception, kinda like the distinction between "freedom fighters" and "terrorists". Ultimately they are the same thing...it's the perception of their motives, reasons, ect. that make the distinction.

+ Reply to Thread