+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zsokorad

Thread: Are ascended attuned (secondary) souls actually in the body?

Soulwalker

Default Are ascended attuned (secondary) souls actually in the body?

Hello,

I have been searching far and wide in the past couple of days and found quite a bit of conflicting information regarding the actual location of the extra souls that ascended end up learning from.

Are the extra souls that ascended pick up actually present in the body of the ascended, or are they somewhere else?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.

Sword of Telara

If that Ember Isle quest in Atia is to be believed (which, all things considered, it probably should be since that spirit didn't seem like it was full of it), they do exist alongside us in some sort of spirit guide, Jimminy Cricket sort of way.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I posted my thoughts on this subject here in another thread.

Your body stores all of the extra souls, but you can only use (or Attune / resonate) with up to three at any one time.

As for where they came from: the Soul Stream. There used to be a quest to acquire the souls, where your character would stand under a recently-closed Rift's location and, using that weak point in the Ward, would draw the soul out from the Soul Stream, where all dead souls are meant to rest. These souls are corrupted, however, and need to be subdued and purified before they're fit to be superimposed onto the Ascended.

Since those quests have been removed, though, this topic has become a mystery to many newer players. Personally I think the greater mystery is how you're supposedly able to buy souls from a Trainer, lol.
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Soulwalker

The thread you linked is partially responsible for the creation of this thread Morvick. There is a ton of conflicting information in regards to this topic out there.

Personaly I believe you are correct, but I am lacking hard evidence to back up my opinion on this very important lore point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymith View Post
    The thread you linked is partially responsible for the creation of this thread Morvick. There is a ton of conflicting information in regards to this topic out there.

Personaly I believe you are correct, but I am lacking hard evidence to back up my opinion on this very important lore point.
    My best recommendation is to read The Boar Spear. Some of it's information is outdated per the Lore Team's decree, but most of it will be useful to you.

Also see what you can't garner from the Notable Figures section.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    Since those quests have been removed, though, this topic has become a mystery to many newer players. Personally I think the greater mystery is how you're supposedly able to buy souls from a Trainer, lol.
    I think that's why they went to the current system.

Honestly, I'm fine with it; the soul quests could have been interesting if there'd been 32 of them, but one quest 20+ times was not interesting.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Some say yes, some say no....until a lore dev actually says one way or the other, no one can be sure. <*glares suspiciously into the shadows* "I know you're there watching us, just waiting to see which side of the debate makes more sense...don't try to fool me, Devs!">

Quote Originally Posted by GothWulfe View Post
    Some say yes, some say no....until a lore dev actually says one way or the other, no one can be sure. <*glares suspiciously into the shadows* "I know you're there watching us, just waiting to see which side of the debate makes more sense...don't try to fool me, Devs!">
    Actually, I think our Lore dev, MissDoomCookie, accepted a job elsewhere. That's the news on the street, anyway.

So far, I've not heard high or low from a dedicated Lore dev on most of these subjects. Since Head Start. <_<

I had heard that she had as well. I just kind of assumed that they had gotten someone to take her spot though.

So does this mean that except for the things that are written out in stone, that WE are creating the lore now? *snickers*

Personally I think the greater mystery is how you're supposedly able to buy souls from a Trainer, lol.
    Clearly you do not know anything about containing and transporting souls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRt0SG-hepU

---

They definitely need to make those paragraphs of lore about the history of the various souls available in the game again somehow.
    Last edited by Zsokorad; 02-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

Rift Chaser

Again, it seems that the NPC conversation in the Terminus Life Vault is pretty explicit on the matter:

"This body now contains six souls".
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

That's just one reference though, and we've seen numerous things <books, quest text, ect.> that end up contradicting each other later.

They REALLY need to bring the soul quests back. They weren't that damn hard, after all....and they added quite a bit more to the storyline as far as playing went, IMO.

I don't really recall anything misleading about the subject of Soul storage, though.

You carry them around in your body, but that doesn't immediately mean you can use them. You must also resonate with them and Attune to their abilities. Once synchronized, their memories and skills unlock for you (in varying intensity according to the level of attunement). You can only harmonize with 3 souls like that, but that doesn't mean the other 5 disappear. They just get moved to the back of your mind, so to speak.

Personally I think it'd be pretty amusing to RP a character who was battling for control over his mind. He'd likely have to have a fairly weak personality to let some ghost overtake him, but still. Could happen.

Actually, I think our Lore dev, MissDoomCookie, accepted a job elsewhere. That's the news on the street, anyway.

So far, I've not heard high or low from a dedicated Lore dev on most of these subjects. Since Head Start. <_<
    Yeah

And MissDoomCookie is movin up to certain green armored shooter protagonist.. ;) I sure hope that whatever her replacement is (if anyone), decides to be active with the playerbase.

As for souls.. I think things have modified a bit. Like the new Planar Attunement, Ascended can 'orient' themselves towards one way or the other. We can assume that lore-wise, one Ascended is more naturally disposed towards certain souls than others. They exist in the soulstream, but are reached out by Ascended - like previously stated, a 'spirit guide'.

I now have to imagine as a Marksman, the Markman soul hero as a spirit guiding my movements and trigger finger, coaching my mind and heart to shoot accurately and swiftly. I think that's pretty cool.

While I still greatly prefer the idea of quest chains for souls, this 'all souls and Purposes at Lv 1' idea is still better than the 'buy souls at trainer' silliness. I can deal with this, and it meshes well with Planar Attunement.

We can now fully treat Ascended as conduits of sourcestone power - whether that involves the Soulstream, the Planes, or even certain time-travelling elements later on. We are the ultimate of what Telara offers, and contain an empathy towards creation that has never been seen before. Goooo us.

I don't really recall anything misleading about the subject of Soul storage, though.

You carry them around in your body, but that doesn't immediately mean you can use them. You must also resonate with them and Attune to their abilities. Once synchronized, their memories and skills unlock for you (in varying intensity according to the level of attunement). You can only harmonize with 3 souls like that, but that doesn't mean the other 5 disappear. They just get moved to the back of your mind, so to speak.

Personally I think it'd be pretty amusing to RP a character who was battling for control over his mind. He'd likely have to have a fairly weak personality to let some ghost overtake him, but still. Could happen.
    I think it could. It wouldn't 100% overtake the host, but it would mean that the soul can be enough of a presence on the host's mind, that it gives way and identifys more with the soul. A sort of schizophrenia/multiple personalities could come forth out of that.

And on the other hand, the more optimistic form of soul attunement is of more of a healthy spirit bond.

I used my Marksman example because my Defiant main is a Kelari Marksman . He only knew of simple slingshots as a young boy on the Isles, hunting after small critters, but when he came back to the world on Terminus, he instantly felt affinity with the Marksman soul and abopted it fully. The Riftstalker and Bard ones are just for utility, and he still feels awkward playing his instruments and shifting forward - opting more for the challenge and excitment of a good shot.

He knows that with an increasingly greater bond, amazing feats will occur - leading him eventually back to his home island (he's currently in Iron Pine Peak, his soul's sad origins), and he'll finally be able to hunt the BIG game.

+ Reply to Thread