+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Could there be somebody in the lore more powerful than the dragon gods and the Vigil?

Default Could there be somebody in the lore more powerful than the dragon gods and the Vigil?

Could there be somebody in the lore more powerful than all the dragon gods and the Vigil?

Yes that includes Regulos.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Ascendant

Is there one currently IN the lore? Not that I know of.

Could there be? Yeah. No matter how unlikely it seems, because this is a fictional story there is always a way to introduce a more powerful being.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Could there be somebody in the lore more powerful than all the dragon gods and the Vigil?

Any Defiant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post
    Is there one currently IN the lore? Not that I know of.

Could there be? Yeah. No matter how unlikely it seems, because this is a fictional story there is always a way to introduce a more powerful being.
    ^ This.

Is there? Absolutely not even close.
    Could there be? It's fiction bro

Quote Originally Posted by the1411 View Post
    Any Defiant.
    Not sure on this one? The Defiant got the left over souls, you know the ones the Vigil did not want. So I am thinking no.

I kinda always assumed at some point that the players will take on Regulos, only to find out that he was only a minion for someone/something much more powerful/evil/etc....
    You live, you learn.
    You die, you learn faster.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nepentheia View Post
    I kinda always assumed at some point that the players will take on Regulos, only to find out that he was only a minion for someone/something much more powerful/evil/etc....
    This is a standard way of introducing bigger "baddies".

Kill * "Super Evil Dude", find out that he was actually "a part of something much bigger".
    Last edited by Hunt55511; 02-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Sword of Telara

Dimension hopping Orphiel?

That dude's probably been to a bunch of dimensions where there's a really weak pantheon and eaten them.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post

maybe the person in your signature? Dunno, but he seems pretty powerful to me in that hood and he's also smiling as if he knows that we know that he knows..!
    Architect of <Apotheosys> :: Progress & Achievements
    Raid & Guild Leader of (former):

<Exploit> : Ultane World 1st, Regulos World 2nd // <Rift Runners> Crucia World 3rd, Perfect Crucia World 1st, HK Conq W#3, Laethys/Maelforge W#7 // Member of <PTW> Akylios W#5th

Well, Hartsman said something about this year revealing what comes after the Dragons are all dead so based on that, yeah. I think ol' Reggy isn't king of the mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

You have to understand that the 'gods' of Rift aren't omnipotent. They're incredibly powerful creatures that exists in realities only partially related to our own with an insatiable hunger. They have the ability to consume and craft sourcestone in a large scale, but individually, they're not so much more powerful than the Ascended are.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    You have to understand that the 'gods' of Rift aren't omnipotent. They're incredibly powerful creatures that exists in realities only partially related to our own with an insatiable hunger. They have the ability to consume and craft sourcestone in a large scale, but individually, they're not so much more powerful than the Ascended are.
    I would refute that, only because there's little point in having a God if they're not God-like. The Ascended exist on a sliding scale ranging from Mortal to God, for sure, but no one person could overthrow a powerful God, and definitely not a pantheon. Can you imagine if the Bloodstorm had actually cooperated instead of being idiots and infighting?

Even Greenscale, a "God" who we messed up with all shades of Hurt, is not really dead. He's simply banished from his Mortal Form on Telara, and likely resides in a recovering state in his home Plane. And that's just one Dragon who could only muster together a cult of followers.

Until it's revealed why the Vigil is silent, however, I believe we'll remain quite in the dark on just how powerful they are or could be. Orphiel is often shown with powers comparable to the Vigil's Messenger (co-existing in different moments within time, not talking straight sense, etc).

When we Enter the Rifts (planned for the far-off future), I'm sure we'll all get clued in. Until then, Maelforge is next!
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-07-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Orphiel is an unknown. Like said above, his 'powers' 'can' 'potentially' rise to the level of a Messenger, but that's all we know.

We have hints that greater beings and concepts can exist beyond the planes and dragons and Vigil gods, but only hints (and small ones at that).

So can there be things more powerful? YES. Do we know of any? No.

Do I hope for them? Yes, and I don't want them shoehorned in - I want them to make sense.

By letting us kill the physical Telaran form of the dragons so early, I sure hope Trion has something up their sleeve. I do have the feeling that 1.X is all about fleshing out the mainland of Telara and the 6 dragons, while a 2.X would hopefully be about the Planes, hints of other Telaran lands, and new knowledge of the corrupting force behind the dragons themselves (as in, what caused them to be devourers, instead of creators like the Vigil are).
    Last edited by Maeloda; 02-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Plane Walker

Id love to see the visit the Planes. Ive wanted to learn more about the Amber Throne and its significance to the fae since I heard about the place.

Im also curious on who was running the Planes before the Dragons took over and how the Vigil Gods related to the planes.

I also dont think we are dealing with a straight up power meter when looking at threats. The Vigil Gods are very powerful for example but the fact they are divine limits how well they can apply that power. My understanding is the reason Guardians value sourcestone so much is the Vigil can interact with Telara through it.

A foe however can be decidedly less powerful than the Vigil Gods and still be a major threat. Its all about location and influence as well as power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepentheia View Post
    I honestly hope they don't go this route. It's been a tired trope in fiction for decades, and Blizzard has really shown the age of such tropes with their "ultimate evil thing" that they trot out in every new game / expansion only to have the "ultimate evil" be slave to an "Ultimater evil" which is the servant of the "Ultimaterest Evil".

I like the feuding in the Blood Storm, the wildly divergent objectives and methods. Maelforge's wanton, hedonistic rage vice Akylios's quiet, manipulative, horrorific madness. It makes for very interesting stories.
    They can always introduce a "different" evil if (when?) we ever completely shut down the Blood Storm (imagine whole knew planes and rifts in an expansion, something like that).

I just don't want it to turn out Regulos was nothing more than the Vice President of Inter-Planar Relations.
    Last edited by The 17th Knight; 03-26-2012 at 12:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast