+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guardian Communications ?

Default Guardian Communications ?

I am trying to find a communication device, supported by lore, that can be used by guild members to talk to each other while out in the world. What are some ideas that other rp guilds have used? It would be for Guardian use.

Thanks
    Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride and don't take it too seriously

Sword of Telara

Seashell telephone system.

Either that or telepathic link between all Ascended.

Rift Disciple

You have to be really careful that you don't force an idea on someone else, a la 'Ascended-wide telepathy'. Defiants have the use of magitech and can more easily get away with a 'device' that works for just their group, over the Guardian side/lore.

My guild always sees /tells as out-of-character. If we need to communicate with someone, we use the in-game mail system. We've yet to come across a situation where this hasn't been sufficient.

The best idea I can come up with would be something based on 'runetech', but I'd be careful with that since the truth of Hammerknell came to light:

"The Hammerknell dwarves mastered a rune technology that bound spirits into their machines, and these spirits powered many of their great works. Even our own magicians are wary of these secrets, given this magic brought down Hammerknell. Though, I would have this ancient knowledge recovered. Brother Damon has already lead an expedition into Runic Descent for this purpose. Meet with him and ensure his success."

People outside your group may not accept a machine or runetech, but it might work for within you group?

Leaves on the Wind, RP-Heavy Guardian Guild on Faeblight
    Do you Merisioux? Rift's newest RP Addon!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Some WoW RPers I knew claimed this was extra functionality built into their hearthstones.

I'd say it's the Messenger of The Vigil network. You know the little messenger of the vigil that hovers over your shoulder telling you to stay good? Yeah, uhm, they also carry messages. (Guardians don't get shoulder devils, though, depriving us of some wonderful dialogue.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Since lore-wse the Vigil seems to be against rune tech and magi tech, Guardians would communicate with each other via snail mail, whereas Defiants have iPhones for text messaging, group calls (Guild Chat, Raid Chat, etc).

For Guardians it would seem to be something more mystical and as of yet unexplained.
    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".--Groucho Marx
    "I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30."--Groucho Marx

After reading through some of the other lore-related threads I found that the Guardians communicate with the Vigil via Sourcestone at various shrines all throughout Telera.

The Defiants obviously use a similar method just without the middle-man (Vigil).
    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".--Groucho Marx
    "I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30."--Groucho Marx

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Myuriel View Post
    You have to be really careful that you don't force an idea on someone else, a la 'Ascended-wide telepathy'.
    RPing is about rolling with the cards you're given. Ascended are not regular MMO characters - pretending that they don't have access to what amounts to a psionic link with everybody is like pretending that you can die permanently. Unless Regulos himself comes down to lay the pimp-hand on, you don't have anything to worry about. Saying "don't force an idea" is what gives those guys who speake in ye olde englishe justification for their actions (and nobody likes those guys).

The easiest "lore-wise" for Guardians would be it is the effect of a spell cast and maintained by the guilds mages. Just because the only spells that it shows mages having are combat ones, doesn't mean that there aren't a multitude of others that have no use in combat....just that those are the ones that mages "carry" with them on a regular basis. After all, I somehow doubt that a brand new mage apprentice's first spell learned is how to cast a fireball.

One of my previous guilds claimed IC that we were communicating via specially attuned and blessed shards of sourcestone produced by our mages. Dunno if this is 100% lore supported, but it worked and didn't clash with the theme horribly as far as I could tell.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Lode-stones.
    Theory behind them is that when one vibrates, it's twin will vibrate in exactly the same manner. Speak or play music into one Lodestone, and the other person (no matter where they are) will receive an instantaneous copy of the message to listen to.

Say what?!
    The Travel Stones are essentially lode-stones which Thontic (the Vigil god) created which could transport people. During the World Event leading up to Ember Isle, we actually had to attune our Lode-stone so that it matched the one(s) on the old Kelari fire islands. Once matched, transportation of information and people was possible.

A lode-stone is more-commonly used in it's far more interesting incarnation as a musical instrument, which leads characters in a story to playing music as a form of coded communication to eachother. I think for RIFT, we can simply speak into them and call it all good.
    In fact, Telara's "lode-stones" are probably made from Sourcestone, as it seems to like taking on odd magical properties or capabilities, and holds great power. Both necessary for any rock that you're going to use to talk across continents.
    Last edited by Morvick; 01-28-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

I do think it would probably be some sort of "blessed" object or stone, maybe something divinely enabled by clerics or recharged by shrines of the Vigil. The Guardians have portals that instantly teleport them about, I'm sure someone's discovered holy telephones.

Default thanks

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I'll pass them along to my guild.
    Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride and don't take it too seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadb View Post
    Since lore-wse the Vigil seems to be against rune tech and magi tech, Guardians would communicate with each other via snail mail, whereas Defiants have iPhones for text messaging, group calls (Guild Chat, Raid Chat, etc).

For Guardians it would seem to be something more mystical and as of yet unexplained.
    no Vigil are against the use of Sorcestones. not tech. major difference.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    no Vigil are against the use of Sorcestones. not tech. major difference.
    Specifically, Sourcestone-consuming Magitech.

Runemagic (which uses yet preserves the precious stone) is allowed... as long as the spirits are kept in check. Hence the Guardian-sanctioned Runecannons that blasted open Hammerknell.

And totally right: science and technology are alive and well in the Guardian side. They merely oppose Magitech, and strictly that, which since the Defiants rely exclusively on that type of technology, might lead them to believe the Guardians live entirely in the stone age. Which is silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

I like to imagine as well that as Ascendents we do have an ability to communicate through thought energy, a resonance type of communication, and along with this, the ability to open or close this type of communication as well. I imagine communication with the spirits and with the messengers of the Vigil as being this way.

+ Reply to Thread