+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Weddings, soulmates, and the ascended

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Weddings, soulmates, and the ascended

So, apparently the email about this talks about "soulmates".

HANG ON.

Soul? Don't we have, like, eight of those?

So can I get my Riftstalker married to person A, and my Nightblade to person B? Or do we have to marry all eight of our souls to all eight of theirs?

I'm like half kidding here. I actually am curious as to how the whole ascended soul thing interacts with romance, which I hadn't really thought seriously about.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

That is... A dang good question. I never really thought about that- So often it seems the multiple number of souls we have is forgotten!

Hope that a Trion team member will pop in here and give us a definite answer on this, because now I'm really curious!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Man.

We could have. THE. BEST. Soap operas.

"Jacynth's Riftstalker soul and Darryn's Justicar are committed to working on their marriage, but they need a course in aggro management. Meanwhile, Jacynth's DPS build and Charlie's chloromancer are trying to figure out whether they have a future, while Charlie's elementalist and Darryn's cabalist try to figure out whether they have bromance... or ROmance. TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!"
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

The way I've always seen it is that people read too much into the word "soul".....you don't actually have nine different souls in one body, but instead, you have absorbed the basic battle knowledge and expertise of the soul of each ancient hero into yourself....for all intents and purposes "unlocking your potential". Otherwise I wouldn't be "Snowfire, the Mage", I would be "Tahkaat/Kamuzu/Nyx /Corthana/Phynnious/Amunet/unnamed Elementalist/unnamed Archmage" in the body that at one time was known as "Snowfire the mage" ". I've always seen it this way for a few reasons:

1. If you are actually absorbing the entire soul of the ancient hero, then, logically, there could only be ONE person who would be able to do each thing...one pyromancer, one riftstalker, ect....after all, once a soul is absorbed, it isn't there for other people to absorb it again, it is?

2. Each ascended has their own personality....something that just wouldn't happen if you actually had nine other people in your head. You would have a different personality for each soul you absorbed, and, especially in the case of the mage souls, I can guarantee that they wouldn't all get along....so basically you would end up with a schizophrenic, more then likely a non functioning one until one soul grabbed dominance from the others...at which point THAT would be the only thing you could do, since I don't see it relinquishing that dominance only to have to fight for it again.

3. If you actually we absorbing the entire soul of an ancient hero, memories, personality and all, then wouldn't it simply be easier and more effective to just bring that person back, at the height of their power and ability, instead of starting with a new person who is going to have to learn everything over again? And if you were to actually absorb their soul, then why have trainers at all as once you "became" said person, you would have all the knowledge and power they did at the time of their death.

4. The completion text for the the starting class quests seem to make it quite clear that you aren't actually absorbing their soul...for ex. the Guardian completion text is

"The Vigil bestows upon you the knowledge and abilities of an ancient soul. Are you ready to wield the power of the gods?"

And in the Defiant version the description is "You must choose what you wish to install as your first soul. It will allow you to take on all powers that individual had in life."

Nothing about personality or memory...which would be part and parcel of someones soul....which those who have actually done the soul quests instead of simply buying them, know that the shades that you fight still have.

That's my opinion on how the whole thing ACTUALLY works....makes a lot more sense as a "knowledge transfer" then "I sucked up the soul of an ancient legendary warrior.....but I'm still level 7....??" to me. I just think that the choice of the word "Soul" was a bad one on their part...or at least they could have made it a bit clearer as to what is actually meant.

This got me very angry when I read the newsletter, and I don't think they should even consider this. That's all I'm going to say though, else Hyde will come out.

Plane Walker

The soul's mate is spirit

I think it would be a pretty interesting idea for RP that a couple could be town apart by all of these events. That two lovers die, one raised by The Vigil, and the other was forced into a body by the defiant. Could one love the Frankenstein monster esc lover?
    "By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GothWulfe View Post
    The way I've always seen it is that people read too much into the word "soul".....you don't actually have nine different souls in one body, but instead, you have absorbed the basic battle knowledge and expertise of the soul of each ancient hero into yourself....for all intents and purposes "unlocking your potential".
    Actually, you really have absorbed the souls. If you ever got the chance to do the level-13 Soul Quests, that's one clue for the theory.
    Here's another one. Read how he interacts with Gisa the marksman.

When we talk about Soul Attunement and Planar Attunement, your own character's Soul is actually "resonating" at a frequency and wavelength that matches up to three of your other souls. By whichever one you are attuned with the strongest, you can utilize more of that soul's power. However you can only attune so well to one without being detrimental your "match" with the others, thus our limited pool of Attunement Points. You can master one soul, but you won't have much energy left over to resonate with the other two.
    (A similar action happens when you attune to a Plane, where your body and soul are able to resonate with, and share in the power from, that uncorrupted Plane.)

On the subject of soulmates, you could make the (perplexing) argument that there are nine soulmates in one Ascended -- after all, the only reason they stay bound to you is because they're lending you their power, memories, and desires. When you match with someone else through a marriage or romance or even friendship, that bond can be up to 9x the strength!

Imagine, 2 long-dead Heroes who are absorbed into different Ascended after a hundred years, and then those 2 Ascended fall in love, allowing these deceased Heroes to relive their romance vicariously through their "hosts". Cool stuff! If a bit creepy.
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    Actually, you really have absorbed the souls. If you ever got the chance to do the level-13 Soul Quests, that's one clue for the theory.
    Here's another one. Read how he interacts with Gisa the marksman.
    Also check out the Defiant starter area, where those two technicians are using a machine to suck the souls out of a series of Guardian prisoners and then infuse them into the Defiant Ascended body that's lying in the chamber connected to it. After each pair of prisoners, they specifically say:

"Readings are off the charts! With the addition of these two, this body now contains six souls."
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

Shadowlander

So if two ascended marry and they have children, are their children ascended too? LOL

Just kidding. I'm not reading THAT much into the marriage thing. Although - think of the scandals! "I can't believe what he's become! Both of us are clerics and our child is....is....is....a MAGE!"

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Crim80 View Post
    So if two ascended marry and they have children, are their children ascended too? LOL
    You said "just kidding", but the serious answer to the question is, probably not . As Morvick put it well here, being Ascended is a soul thing, not a bloodline thing.
    Feine / Dreamwing
    "No I in team"

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feine View Post
    You said "just kidding", but the serious answer to the question is, probably not . As Morvick put it well here, being Ascended is a soul thing, not a bloodline thing.
    Oh dear, I've been cited. <_<

I will stand by my theory, however. It's the infusion of souls into a reconstructable body that makes an Ascended, not the fact that your parents were Ascended. The child that such a couple would bring forth into the world would be mortal until otherwise Ascended itself.

As such, I think a bit of closure to an earlier question of mine is in order: if a pregnant Ascended mother was killed and resurrected (either by Machine or by Messenger), her child would be lost. That soul has passed into the Soul Stream, that fetus has died.
    I'm not sure if she'd be brought back as if never pregnant, or if she'd have to have a stillbirth.

Christ what a depressing topic. Quick! Lighten the mood!
    Be amused by the skiing ostrich.
    Last edited by Morvick; 02-13-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Soulwalker

I am taking the following from Rift Devblog #6 pertaining to ascension as a guardian:

http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=25215

"They feel the guiding presence of the souls, subtly directing their weapons in battle, giving them just the right prayer to heal their allies, or find the arcane equation to channel the forces of darkness without becoming corrupted by the dragon. Some Guardians report hearing the souls strongly, like an invisible friend; others describe it as the feeling of discovering memories that they never experienced."

Based on the above I would think it quite possible that you might actually not only have had one of your "lesser" souls involved with someone or their "lesser" souls, but you would have memories or flat out commentary from said soul about it.

My wife and I are going to be roleplaying one of these "Lesser" soul based marriages, where we are drawn together more from past life involvement then by attraction of our primary souls. More like a comfortable familiarity than a new relationship.

I suppose the decision of whether to allow same sex unions was pretty much settled without question then.

As far as soulmates, most of us (all of us?) have both gender souls.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

I actually think it is simply cleaner that Ascended can not have children. The entergies necessary have so fundamentally altered the being that they can no longer procreate. It would also make sense in terms of evolution. The longer lived a species in nature the less often they successfully reproduce or else their numbers would simply overwhelm an eco-system. To my mind it just makes more sense that the Ascended could not reproduce rather than their progeny simply being "mere" mortals.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast