+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Discussion: Joint AH- a violation of lore?

Default Discussion: Joint AH- a violation of lore?

As already confirmed by BrianMorin, we can expect to see conjoined Auction Houses very shortly... That is, Defiants and Guardians working together to create a server-wide economy.

-Does this constitute a breach in Lore? If not, can you cite another precedent?
    -What kind of effect will this have on the RP community, if any?
    -Do you see this as a move in the right direction, or no?

Discuss plz

Hawkemoon- Cleric- Greybriar
    Waiting for: Star Citizen

Of course it is a breach of lore. Was it legal for the US to trade with the Germans after 12/7/1941? I know people want this feature for convenience sake but I can think of only one thing that would work. Create a seperate AH and call the merchant Harry Lime (10 plat if you are on faeblight and get the reference no google.) Have very high AH fees as you are dealing with the black market. This could work with the lore.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rift Disciple

I'm in agreement with this.

I understand the request for this, for convenience sake. I don't have a hard time selling or buying what I need from the Auction House, so I don't entirely understand the need. But, even more so, I am worried that lore is seemingly being pushed aside for mechanical convenience. I worry that this is going to set a precedent, and the downward spiral begins here.

Trion has created such a rich environment and game with their lore and history, and I'd hate to lose that.

Leaves on the Wind, RP-Heavy Guardian Guild on Faeblight
    Do you Merisioux? Rift's newest RP Addon!

Quote Originally Posted by Myuriel View Post
    I am worried that lore is seemingly being pushed aside for mechanical convenience. I worry that this is going to set a precedent, and the downward spiral begins here.

Trion has created such a rich environment and game with their lore and history, and I'd hate to lose that.
    Do you believe other examples of a "breach" in Lore already exist, i.e., mailing cross faction? This feature, too, was implemented at player request... If we think back further, is this issue with the AH the first?

How does this affect you as a roleplayer or immersion player?

Great answers so far, would love to get some more feedback on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon0028 View Post
    Do you believe other examples of a "breach" in Lore already exist, i.e., mailing cross faction? This feature, too, was implemented at player request... If we think back further, is this issue with the AH the first?

How does this affect you as a roleplayer or immersion player?

Great answers so far, would love to get some more feedback on this.
    If i remember correctly the cross faction mail only applies to characters on the same account. Personally I disliked the idea of hve different faction toons on the sme server but keeping this system account only (if I am remembering correctly) is still with a reasonable level of suspension of disbelief when we are looking at the lore.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Edit limit

I could see one way to merge the AH and be lore consistent. I know it may annoy Guardian uberalles people and RvR fans. The RvR part I have ceased to care about though. Due to a number of bad design decisions RvR is regretably dead, I think it is simply more humane if they simply pull the plug on it.

The plan? Kill off Cyril. If you look at various parts of the lore (the statements by Zeraph in the Quantum sight quest, the conversation between Cyril and Asha in RoS etc.) Cyril is really the driving force of the progrom against magitech and the Defiant. Without him I could see the lore permitting a transition from the current relationship to one akin to what existed between the US and GB and the USSR during WWII for the duration of the war against Regulos.

We all know that after WWII we had the cold war between these parties but while Regulos... er Adolf was the bigger threat they fought together. Almost 20k aircraft in the Russian Airforce (as an example) were built in the US or GB and sent to the USSR under lend/lease.

If they ever did something like this then merging the AH would make sense, other wise I think we need a Harry Lime.

Wait... this'll be in the cities? Wha?

I would have expected it to be a neutral auction house in Shimmersand, with higher fees.

Nope the regular AH toon will be selling you stuff from the opposing faction. You can find Brian's first post on the dev tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Edit limit

I could see one way to merge the AH and be lore consistent. I know it may annoy Guardian uberalles people and RvR fans. The RvR part I have ceased to care about though. Due to a number of bad design decisions RvR is regretably dead, I think it is simply more humane if they simply pull the plug on it.

The plan? Kill off Cyril. If you look at various parts of the lore (the statements by Zeraph in the Quantum sight quest, the conversation between Cyril and Asha in RoS etc.) Cyril is really the driving force of the progrom against magitech and the Defiant. Without him I could see the lore permitting a transition from the current relationship to one akin to what existed between the US and GB and the USSR during WWII for the duration of the war against Regulos.
    The other thought I keep hearing/seeing from other players, would be to add a third, neutral faction... Switzerland, to continue your metaphor They would be the overseers of the auction house and the mailing system, taking no sides, simply going about their duty for the betterment of... well, both sides I guess.

I can't forsee them killing off Cyril, based on the only glimpse into a possible reality I personally have seen on the shard: Artifacts. There is a Twisted set, which describes what appear to be newspaper-esqe headlines, discussing Cyril enforcing a curfew, Ascended-only privs, etc.

To be honest- I can't see this AH thing being good for the Lore, or the economy, for that matter. Prices on everything will fall literally overnight with the massive influx of new inventory. It's going to take "supply & demand", and turn it on its head. Anyone who previously relied on making a living as a farmer and selling their wares is in for a rude awakening when they have to compete with not 3 or 4 other major farmers from their own faction, but now 10 more from the other side...
    On the Lore end, I can't see how, under any circumstances, the Guardians would be open to trade with the Defiants- I could see the reverse working, since they've come back in time to stop the Guardians, etc... But the Guardians genuinely believe that the Defiants are a scourge- they're blasphemers... Why in the name of the Vigil would you buy a product from someone so foul?

Thoughts?

Well the sliver stuff is from alternate time lines it doesn't have to have anything to do with our world. The progrom really is the product of Cyril's fanaticism. If Zareph had not sacrificed himself there would be no progrom because he was a pragmatist and would have used magitech and an alliance to save Telara and then dealt with the consequences of that decision later. I honestly believe that no Cyril = a chance not for friendship but detante'.

If they don't kill off Cyril though, with your point in mind, he could become another enemy NPC faction. I don't care how fanatical u are but eventually fascistic thinks like curfews and ascended only rest rooms will alienate people. You could have a "Zeraph" loyalist faction for instance or "free mathosians" etc.

Regardless its goin in and like I said with first mail now this I think we are seeing the ground work of some sort of change to RvR coming. When I refer to Harry Lime I am referring to a 3rd faction (look up The Third Man and see it if you have yet to, a brilliant film.) But that boat has sailed and there is no going back.
    Last edited by Galibier; 01-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.

I'd rather have had the Bogling Idea.

It could have called the Streamwastrel Cartel.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

How is a joint auction house "driving a wedge" between the factions?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

CoH did this a while back with "wentworth's" and "the black market", and the funny thing is they did provide a convincing in-game lore explanation.

Really, though, I think the pragmatic answer is the simplest: The AH's cross-faction nature would be like having alts -- it's really external to lore. There's no practical way for any character in the game to demonstrate that the AH is cross-faction. It's just that, under the hood, actually it is. It's like cross-shard WFs or LFG.

So I'm pretty happy with this, although I hope they do something about the meridian/sanctum artifacts.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
    How is a joint auction house "driving a wedge" between the factions?
    It's not. They already commented on that. They are not trying to create some Xbox Live type community of furious hatred, they're just setting up some cool drama for people who like to play drama.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

What do you mean, Seebs? About the artifacts?

Ever since cross faction account mailing, the city arties have been cross faction AH esq.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 01-09-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast