+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Galibier
  • 1 Post By Rift Chaser

Thread: The Dwelaris

Default The Dwelaris

So according to the artifact set, dorfs and kelaris can interbred. A sliver featuring this "race" would be awesome!!!
    If you know any fanart about them, please link it.

Sword of Telara

It's an alternate dimension.

In our dimension, races cannot interbreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    It's an alternate dimension.

In our dimension, races cannot interbreed.
    Damn, I thought what took place in these alternate dimensions was possible in ours.
    Gotta wait for the sliver then.

I thought that as well. First I thought that they had only introduced alternate timelines of Telara, not bonafide alternate dimensions of Telara (in the first case the same laws of physics, magic and biology apply but different actions have created alternate histories. The last would have the potential of complete different laws).

I was under the impression that in this timeline it was culture not biology that had no cross breeding. Can anyone produce a cite that illustrates it is a biological impossibility and thus we are not simply looking at alternate timelines but rather at more profoundly different dimensions. I say this because if you read the basic attitude of the Kelari in general their sense of superiority would certainly preclude inter-breeding in this timeline BUT that doesn't mean it is biologically impossible.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-10-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Edit limit.

I say this because I believe the Bahmi are actually a "mongrel" race, the joining of beings from the plane of air with humans. This was actually confirmed by a Q&A with Trion staff.

http://telarachronicles.net/2011/03/...answered-rift/

If beings from another plane can breed with beings of telara it seems a little illogical that beings of this world are so biologically incompatible. As I said though there may be something lore wise that says otherwise that I missed.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

You're right, since the Bahmi are an offshoot of two different races interbreeding that statement that it's impossible is horribly inaccurate. Which means that it is entirely possible that the Kelari and the Dwarves could create a new race if they ever felt like getting cosy

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    You're right, since the Bahmi are an offshoot of two different races interbreeding that statement that it's impossible is horribly inaccurate. Which means that it is entirely possible that the Kelari and the Dwarves could create a new race if they ever felt like getting cosy
    That isn't accurate either here is a quote from the lore team:

How do the different races view cross-racial romance? Can certain races (for instance, High Elves and Mathosians) mate successfully? We know Shalastiri and Eth could.

There are certain races that frown on cross-racial romance more heavily, namely the dwarves and the Kelari, as their cultures are a bit more separate than the others. It is most common for all races to pair within their own races, but other romances are not unknown. Surprisingly, the Bahmi have become considerably less welcoming of it than their ancestors, mostly because they see every generation in which they mix with humans as a thinning of their Shalastiri blood and so a further separation from their ancestors and the Plane of Air.
    There has never been any successful breeding between the native races of Telara. The Shalastiri and human pairing remains the only one thus far that has produced an offspring, so it would seem that elemental and Telaran pairings are not out of the question.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

However what they say is NOT that they are impossible, only that none have yet been successful. As this was preceeded by the point that there are serious cultural taboos against such romances the number of attempts have likely been few. The fact that there have been no successful pairings can easily be explained by the following.

1. It starts with the number of such relationships being incredibly rare to begin with due to societal tabtaboos

2. Interspecies breeding often has a lower chance of success than intraspecies.

3. The fact that both dwarves and elves likely have a lower birth rate to start with due to their lifespans (I believe the link I provided show the devs saying 300 years for elves and 150 years for dwaves) .

Add these three together and you could easily not have a known successful hybrid. It is important to note they did not say "it can't happen" but rather "none have been successful" It actually appears they go out of their way to give themselves an opening for it to be introduced eventually. Now they can just as easily come out later and say it is impossible as well but it seems they have left the door ajar on this issue.

On a side note, from a personal RP point of view you could probably RP one. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...4-hybrids.html is an interesting article where scientists have found some hybrids in nature that from outward appearances could not be identified as such, you actually had to look at the genome and this could be used as the basis for your Mathosian with an Elvish father.

I wouldn't RP that myself but it would not be in violation of what the devs have said imo.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-11-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    That isn't accurate either here is a quote from the lore team:

How do the different races view cross-racial romance? Can certain races (for instance, High Elves and Mathosians) mate successfully? We know Shalastiri and Eth could.

There are certain races that frown on cross-racial romance more heavily, namely the dwarves and the Kelari, as their cultures are a bit more separate than the others. It is most common for all races to pair within their own races, but other romances are not unknown. Surprisingly, the Bahmi have become considerably less welcoming of it than their ancestors, mostly because they see every generation in which they mix with humans as a thinning of their Shalastiri blood and so a further separation from their ancestors and the Plane of Air.
    There has never been any successful breeding between the native races of Telara. The Shalastiri and human pairing remains the only one thus far that has produced an offspring, so it would seem that elemental and Telaran pairings are not out of the question.
    You're forgetting that the concept of Dwelari came from an artifact set which is themed around alternate versions of Telara (all possibilities in these alternate timelines are based on the Telara our characters inhabit which means they are all plausible and could still happen to our timeline)
    Yes, they have never attempted to do so because to both races it would be completely out of the question but it's still possible. Who are you to say that a Dwarf and a Kelari couldn't rise above their cultural 'norms' and find love (and produce offspring)

+ Reply to Thread