+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Betrayal?

Default Betrayal?

What's the word? It should definitely be implemented.

For the guy below me.

Currently the race / faction restrictions are just that, restricting, and far to much so. The big issue is many players have certain races they prefer, for whatever reason that may be (Lore, racials, appearance), and presently cannot play the race they desire if their guild decides to go to the other faction. Lets be honest, the reason we play MMO's is beacuse of the people we play with, this is especially so for guilds transferring to the game. There is no realistic reason to enforce arbitrary restrictions that force players to choose between the race they want to play and to play with their friends, and since they'll choose their friends they are essentially not able to play half the races in the game.

I know, you CAN play any race you want to, but in reality, if you want to play with the faction your guild goes to, you are limited to 3 races, and there no good reason to do so.

A simple solution would be to implement a betrayal quest where you could start out as any race you want and then you can do a betrayal quest to go to the other faction. You would be able to play any race you wanted and play with your friends.
    Last edited by Tyler1986; 01-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanCE View Post
    I don't get it.
    The OP wants to roll one race for the racials, but wants to be in a different faction.

So a Guardian Kelari is what the OP wants.

Rift Disciple

That would be too confusing in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Helotais View Post
    That would be too confusing in PVP.
    Wait, you actually stop to check if the Elf you're pounding is in fact purple or pink skinned?

Are names not red over people's head? Not seeing how it'd be much more difficult than Eth vs Mathosian.

There are very good reasons that certain factions are in certain races. Would your guild trust a member from the other side if you could defect?

This sounds more like just being whatever you want to be wherever you want to be without any respect of lore. Yes its possible, anything is possible, a rift tainted evil sorcerer might make his home in Sanctum and be running your guild. But just because something is possible does not mean its a good idea to give the entire playerbase the ability to do it.

However, I appeciate your desire to be able to do this, I may be in the same boat myself. But consistant lore and theme of the world is more important than the fact I may well have to choose my race on the basis of the faction I will play. A pain, but one I accept.

Lore aside, I don't understand a game that touts users being able to be whatever they want, how that only only applies to souls, why not race as well?

Let me start off by saying I don't know all the lore, but would lore dictate that it would be a 100% impossibility for any person in the history of telara to want to change sides? If so, seems the lore is a little unrealistically restricting. If not, the game's lack of a betrayal quest is an arbitrary restriction. Either way, it's a loss for Rift.

I agree with the "Betrayal" idea.

Implementing this would settle the dispute over the so called OP racials, along with allowing people to have a little more freedom.

If this was implemented I personally thing that it shouldnt be just a quick 5 min thing, it should take time and you should have to build up your renown with your new faction. There should also be a few downsides while you are trying to build it back up.

Doc

I said this a longggg time ago. I have people who want to be bahmi and play guardians with the guild. It was said this was not going to be in the game. Though time will tell if they stick to this idea or not. I think a 1 time switch would be ample. Unlike eq2 where people would flop all the time it needs to be a really serious / permanent thing if they do allow it later on.

I don't like the idea of the betrayal quest.
    I think when you create your character though, after choosing which side, you should be able to choose any of the six races.

Quote Originally Posted by Krodin Bataak View Post
    I don't like the idea of the betrayal quest.
    I think when you create your character though, after choosing which side, you should be able to choose any of the six races.
    This is would probably be the simplest fix you will find. Short of cross faction guilding/grouping on pve server, which I don't see happening.

+ Reply to Thread