+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Talila
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Rift Chaser

Thread: What new things would you like to see installed into the Lore and Game environments?

Soulwalker

Default What new things would you like to see installed into the Lore and Game environments?

I've been brushing up more on my rift lore and I'm pretty sure I've missed good parts here and there, but I'd still really like to see some environments that describe the culture of the races in detail a bit more. I just think it would be great to see a variety of structures that can be labeled Dwarven, or Kelarian.

It's one aspect wow had that i can appreciate. It gave a sense of culture to the game and it felt like it gave the lore more of an opportunity to grow. Every race has their own set of needs so I think it would make sense that it should show in architecture, culinary style, clothing, important figures of history etc etc.

Anyway that's just what I'd like to see more of in the environment. This thread isn't about agreeing with me or anything, unless of course you do. I'd like to know what you'd all like to see as this game continues to grow.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I agree with you on the cultural aspect. I appreciate the bits and bops one can get through artifacts (like the Mathosian approach of "Waste not, want not" when it comes to food) but they never really give that much depth to it.
    I'd love to see more traditions explained - it doesn't have to be a big yearly thing, like the Fae Yule - stuff that the regular mathosian might have done before the war that perhaps the ascended would keep on doing - simply because they can't imagine any way of being alive without continuing the tradition.

Another thing is stuff like marriages, funerals and so one. The keystones in life. I know from one of the Q&A's back around launch with the lore devs that they wanted to see how we would go about those things. Would an Eth have a different approach to marriage than a Mathosian? Is there any cultures which might be leaning towards other types of relationships than the standard husband/wife thing? maybe some cultures do not marry at all?
    What about when someone dies? There's some graveyards around in some corners of Telara which would suggest that people do in fact do something when other people die, and I might have missed some descriptions of it (Since I've never quested as a defiant, I don't know of stonefield has an explanation for the graveyard there for example). But at least that's something I'd like to see regardless of if they're still trying to figure out how we go about it/relate to it as roleplayers.

I'd also really much like to know how, if an ascended die even though they're hard to kill and the process of them being returned to Telara again is going to happen, how does it take place? Does anyone have to bring the body of the ascended to a shrine of a kind or do they pop back up on their own? This being for the guardian perspective. The only place I remember seeing an ascension on a story-character was in Stillmoor, but that has some circumstances around it which I doubt happens for so many else too. After all there's a bit of a difference between roleplaying as an ascended, and how the story is told in the quests and such.

I've been playing Rift since the open beta, and I have been reading up on just about every bit of lore I could get my hands on, but there's still some area's that seem a bit unclear. Of course it isn't always not bad that there's room for the player to improvise but.. at least some things I feel could be clarified just a little ^_^
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

-Bahmi home canyon
    -underground Eth city
    -hidden High Elven ancestral home (pre-their collection onto Silverwood!)

-more of a unique and appealing feel for each race. They got it right with the Kelari now thankfully, but now need to transfer that attention onto redoing parts of the older zones and use this approach towards new zones

-Orphel craziness

-Defiant actually making an impact on the world terrain besides setting up a few machines

-Vigil visions, as the ward weakens. More of an impact and explanation (with twists!) about the Vigil.

Plane Walker

Ive said it before but I think Rifts biggest problem is how it uses the tools it has to tell its story rather than the story itself. Too often things that potentially give us insights into cultures and peoples get glosed over. Take the Farclan rite of passage. A guardian has to go through it to be trusted with the secret of creating the Malgams. The problem is the quest lacks any info on why we are doing the verious tasks or what they represent as part of a right of passage.

Too many quests require the player to connect the dots and often its not simple. In Moonglade we got alot of info on the Dwarves, though some info like the cultural tendancy for women and children to remain below ground in the Delves was not included at all. I detail like that adds hugely to the tragedy of Hammerknell, and gives important insight into the culture of dwarves.

I think much of the groundwork for the cultural details on races is their its just Trion seems to struggle with informing us about it ingame. Its quite a shame cause alot of people miss out. I have seen many people critise Rift for lacking lore, story and character development. None of that is true. Its just that HOW the story is told fails to carry it across to many player effectively.

Thats the thing Id want first. Trion to improve their skill at explaining and detailing their story.

Soulwalker

Trips to ruined worlds. The defiant would want to retrieve the technology developed in the last days of a doomed planet while the guardians would seek relics of power. This could lead to conflict with maddened gods left behind or of course the new denizens be they the races of the wanton or another cult.

I'd like to see the faction leaders fleshed out more. At the moment, they're really being under-utilised and I think there's massive scope for game content surrounding each of the leaders.
    I'd also like to see further developments in regard to the gods of the Vigil.
    And like someone else has mentioned, more lore for each race. We've now seen where the Kelari came from, but they're one race out of many.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    I'd like to see the faction leaders fleshed out more. At the moment, they're really being under-utilised and I think there's massive scope for game content surrounding each of the leaders.
    I'd also like to see further developments in regard to the gods of the Vigil.
    And like someone else has mentioned, more lore for each race. We've now seen where the Kelari came from, but they're one race out of many.
    The High Elves will likely get a lore kick when Planetouched Wilds gets released. After all, it WAS their original capitol before Cliffside Vale got rocked by the rifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    The High Elves will likely get a lore kick when Planetouched Wilds gets released. After all, it WAS their original capitol before Cliffside Vale got rocked by the rifts.
    Yay! I was hoping we'd get to see where they came from (I vaguely remember reading somewhere that their home was destroyed by Maelforge? Not sure if this is correct)

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    Yay! I was hoping we'd get to see where they came from (I vaguely remember reading somewhere that their home was destroyed by Maelforge? Not sure if this is correct)
    I'm actually incorrect, it was Heartgrove. They moved to Cliffside Vale after it was destroyed (I assume in the Bloodstorm Wars). And Cliffside Vale was subsequently destroyed after the Shade - or, more accurately, it was destroyed by the rifts because there was nobody out closing them. Cliffside Vale is now known as the Planetouched Wlkds, and the High Elves then moved to Silverwood where they are today.
    Last edited by Terram; 12-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    I'm actually incorrect, it was Heartgrove. They moved to Cliffside Vale after it was destroyed (I assume in the Bloodstorm Wars). And Cliffside Vale was subsequently destroyed after the Shade - or, more accurately, it was destroyed by the rifts because there was nobody out closing them. Cliffside Vale is now known as the Planetouched Wlkds, and the High Elves then moved to Silverwood where they are today.
    Where did you find this out? Ive never heard this lore before.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Where did you find this out? Ive never heard this lore before.
    Well, it was labelled as Cliffside Vale in the maps that came with the game.

Also a quick google of "Rift Cliffside Vale" led to a random wiki page that seemed pretty well sourced so I transcribed the gist of it.

+ Reply to Thread