+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What I love about the elements in the lore.

Default What I love about the elements in the lore.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/planes/index.php

I love the lore behind the elements and the planes in Rift. It feels like a fresh interpretation of what the elements mean and the hows and whys of their opposition to one another, kind of attaching each element to a certain vice or "deadly sin" even. Like Earth appealing to people's greed for gems and luring them in that way. Or how the depths of water is attached to insanity and the unknown. Even LIFE. I read the explanation of the Life plane last and had no idea what to expect. I always associate Life with health, vibrancy, and GOODNESS. How Rifts turns that on its head is brilliant, in my opinion. Life is about constant change, competition, and unending cruelty in order to survive and thrive. Holy smokes.

Ah, yes, I totally agree! I thought it was very creative of the lore team to give such a unique perspective of the elements. I was particularly impressed with Water and Air. The surface of the water being the edge of sanity and madness, and the unrelenting wind representing a heartless, authoritarian hive-mind is some brilliant conceptualization on Trion's part.

They really did do amazing work. I particularly enjoyed Life/Air/Water. I can't wait until we get to begin killing the Dragons!

I totally love the elemental lore too <3

but I was wondering, what do you guys think about the elemental attatchments to each race? like in their racials?
    (water-dwarf, high elf-life, mathosian-dark, bahmi-wind, eth-earth, kelari-fire) The reasons for bahmi, mathosian, and high elf seem pretty straightforward from their attatchment to those elemental planes in their history, but do you know what the reasons are for the other three? Although I know its a minor thing...
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    I totally love the elemental lore too <3

but I was wondering, what do you guys think about the elemental attatchments to each race? like in their racials?
    (water-dwarf, high elf-life, mathosian-dark, bahmi-wind, eth-earth, kelari-fire) The reasons for bahmi, mathosian, and high elf seem pretty straightforward from their attatchment to those elemental planes in their history, but do you know what the reasons are for the other three? Although I know its a minor thing...
    Well, the Eth are desert-dwellers, so spending centuries taming the arid climate explains their Earth resistance. Kelari resided on volcanic islands before the Shade (and I believe the first Purifier was Kelari), so that explains their Fire resistance. No clue why dwarves are water resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherCrux View Post
    Well, the Eth are desert-dwellers, so spending centuries taming the arid climate explains their Earth resistance. Kelari resided on volcanic islands before the Shade (and I believe the first Purifier was Kelari), so that explains their Fire resistance. No clue why dwarves are water resistant.
    I've always thought that it made more sense to go with this approach (more sense meaning I don't think its a perfect solution either but it is better than the alternatives imo)-

Dwarves
    - earth, I means come on they are dwarves- dwarf mythology has always attatched the earth element to them. But in rift too they are the craftsmen race and were forced to make weapons, wealth, and runecraft- remember wealth and greed are connected to the plane of earth. Their folklore has a high amount of stories filled with the ascendence from poverty to wealth by tinkerers and craftsmen. Also they built their first cities out of rock- as I believe their main city of Hammerknell is too- it does say in their lore that they marched from "halls of stone" - their architecture is focused around structure. The earth connection seems much more apparent than any eth/earth connection imo.

Eth
    - Given the remaining two options eth seem like the most suited to fire- the desert can have an attatchment to earth too I guess, but it has an especially strong connection to fire and heat as well. And their focus on war machines and magic also, I think, can make that connection decently as does a racial called "Sun's Fortune." The important thing to note is that of the three elements I can see relate to them (earth, air, fire) dwarf fitting earth and bahmi fitting air are the way more solid choices for those elements though... eth fits this element way more than dwarf fits water.

Kelari
    - ok ok so they have a "fiery passion" and they hail from the "fire" islands, but I can't help but feel that these are put in somewhat to reinforce the point that they are supposed to be fire related in their racials, when other indications suggest they have a much better connection to water. Their homeland is surrounded by water for one (their archipelago), and their city area in freemarch seems to also be related to the coast and ocean and was founded by the few who survived the sea journey from their homeland and weren't consumed by waves. The water dragon flooding/destroying their home is the soul reason they leave and then they come to meridian on ships ("driving the seas into a swirling frenzy"). And the soul reason their society declines is because it was corrupted from the inside out, and madness strikes the priests due to the breaking of Akylios' prison- which are all traits of the plane of water. Oh and many kelari have joined the abyssal- the water dragon cult. So in my opinion that all makes more sense to go with water, but idk.

Edit: Imo it almost even seems like the class lores were designed with these elements in mind but later they decided to switch it up.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.

I've always thought that it made more sense to go with this approach (more sense meaning I don't think its a perfect solution either but it is better than the alternatives imo)-

Dwarves
    - earth, I means come on they are dwarves- dwarf mythology has always attatched the earth element to them. But in rift too they are the craftsmen race and were forced to make weapons, wealth, and runecraft- remember wealth and greed are connected to the plane of earth. Their folklore has a high amount of stories filled with the ascendence from poverty to wealth by tinkerers and craftsmen. Also they built their first cities out of rock- as I believe their main city of Hammerknell is too- it does say in their lore that they marched from "halls of stone" - their architecture is focused around structure. The earth connection seems much more apparent than any eth/earth connection imo.

Eth
    - Given the remaining two options eth seem like the most suited to fire- the desert can have an attatchment to earth too I guess, but it has an especially strong connection to fire and heat as well. And their focus on war machines and magic also, I think, can make that connection decently as does a racial called "Sun's Fortune." The important thing to note is that of the three elements I can see relate to them (earth, air, fire) dwarf fitting earth and bahmi fitting air are the way more solid choices for those elements though... eth fits this element way more than dwarf fits water.

Kelari
    - ok ok so they have a "fiery passion" and they hail from the "fire" islands, but I can't help but feel that these are put in somewhat to reinforce the point that they are supposed to be fire related in their racials, when other indications suggest they have a much better connection to water. Their homeland is surrounded by water for one (their archipelago), and their city area in freemarch seems to also be related to the coast and ocean and was founded by the few who survived the sea journey from their homeland and weren't consumed by waves. The water dragon flooding/destroying their home is the soul reason they leave and then they come to meridian on ships ("driving the seas into a swirling frenzy"). And the soul reason their society declines is because it was corrupted from the inside out, and madness strikes the priests due to the breaking of Akylios' prison- which are all traits of the plane of water. Oh and many kelari have joined the abyssal- the water dragon cult. So in my opinion that all makes more sense to go with water, but idk.

Edit: Imo it almost even seems like the class lores were designed with these elements in mind but later they decided to switch it up.
    I agree, it makes more sense your way. However, a case could be made against Kelari being water-resistant. As you point out, water was their downfall, so they weren't particularly resistant against it when they needed to be, eh? More like a fire being doused.

I agree, it makes more sense your way. However, a case could be made against Kelari being water-resistant. As you point out, water was their downfall, so they weren't particularly resistant against it when they needed to be, eh? More like a fire being doused.
    I thought about that.. but if that were true it calls into question the link between Mathosians and death too.
    But I still think it does make sense (not just the water historical connection, which is kinda clear, but why they would have resistance too). The surviving Kelari have had their resistances pushed for water- all the surviving kelari are alive simply because they survived the Akylios' water onslaught- I think that could make a pretty strong case for it. And the connections to the water cult doesn't help either. That doesn't mean it cant' be argued of course heh... but I think it makes more sense than others
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 02:46 PM.

I thought about that.. but if that were true it calls into question the link between Mathosians and death too.
    But I still think it does make sense (not just the water historical connection, which is kinda clear, but why they would have resistance too). The surviving Kelari have had their resistances pushed for water- all the surviving kelari are alive simply because they survived the Akylios' water onslaught- I think that could make a pretty strong case for it. And the connections to the water cult doesn't help either.
    Fair enough. Strange though, that Kelari are flocking to the Abyssal cult after their homeland was ravaged by the water denizens. They're either a bunch of misanthropes (or whatever the term would be fore Kelari), or they succumbed to a water-induced madness after the events on their native islands.

Fair enough. Strange though, that Kelari are flocking to the Abyssal cult after their homeland was ravaged by the water denizens. They're either a bunch of misanthropes (or whatever the term would be fore Kelari), or they succumbed to a water-induced madness after the events on their native islands.
    yea hehe maybe water madnees?? idk lol.

but the racials still seems like one of those things that even though its small is going to irk me for like days lol. maybe i should make a thread in gameplay about it :P
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.

yea hehe maybe water madnees?? idk lol.

but the racials still seems like one of those things that even though its small is going to irk me for like days lol. maybe i should make a thread in gameplay about it :P
    Haha, maybe you should, cause one thing's for sure: Dwarves + Water resistance = ???
    Last edited by EtherCrux; 01-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Rifts works on the principle that too much of any one thing is bad for you and your world. Even life, cancer is a form of life out of control. Through synthesis we achieve balance, its not totally original but then what is?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretext View Post
    Rifts works on the principle that too much of any one thing is bad for you and your world. Even life, cancer is a form of life out of control. Through synthesis we achieve balance, its not totally original but then what is?
    well said!
    being original is generally overrated. but sometimes just taking good ideas that work that you see elsewhere and putting them together can be an act of originality too even though the specifics aren't.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Dwarves

Eth

Kelari

I think resistances come from either affinity to, or opposition to an element. So Kalari, High Elf, Eth, and Bahmi have resistances because they have some affinity to that element, the Mathosians have resistance to Death in opposition to it and the Dwarves have resistance to...water....becuase...err... huh. I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Botticelli View Post
    I think resistances come from either affinity to, or opposition to an element. So Kalari, High Elf, Eth, and Bahmi have resistances because they have some affinity to that element, the Mathosians have resistance to Death in opposition to it and the Dwarves have resistance to...water....becuase...err... huh. I'm stumped.
    IDK i still think that given the available racial histories they could do it a bit better... it may even make a little sense that kelari may be aligned with fire (i still think its somewhat forced) but when you consider what the alternatives are it doesn't make as much sense as having them with water and other races with fire, instead of having them with fire for a slight connection and then pushing a really bad water connection to dwarf.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast