+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ember Isle Lore: Conflicts with current lore

Default Ember Isle Lore: Conflicts with current lore

Anyone else find it strange that in the Kelari history there was alot of information about how Akylio's prison stirring caused the islands to sink and refugees to leave the isles and come to Freemarch?

Originally it was stated that Akylio and his spirit agents we were responsible for the corruption of Kelari culture and Kelari/Abyssal civil war that lead to the Kelari leaving the islands.

However, in this new lore, it now states that Maelforge was responsible and now we have all this stuff about the Pykari and Wanton getting involved.

Some clarification on this would be cool, because this is all pretty confusing and the new Ember Island stuff makes no sense when compared to the already established Kelari history.

If Akylio's prison was all the way in Hammerknell, how could he have possibly caused the islands so far away to sink without heavily damaging the main continent?
    Last edited by Lunacresia; 11-02-2011 at 01:01 PM.

The reason the Kelari left the isles wasn't because they started to sink. It was because their spirits were corrupted by Akylios' madness, leading to many Kelari joining the cults, causing mass mayhem. During the exodus to the mainland, the stirring of Akylios in his prison caused the seas and oceans to storm - and I expect rifts forming out over the ocean, with no one to seal them, didn't help at all - which rendered the oceans impassable. Because of this, some of the smaller islands were destroyed, and many of the ships the Kelari fled in were destroyed.

The only real change is the addition of the Wanton to the cults that the Kelari were joining to cause the exodus, since I don't recall them being mentioned before - only the Abyssal.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Plane Walker

Your right. There is a retcon here but I dont know if the slip up was intentional. There were some pretty major changes to the story in the lead up to the launch of the Game which you can see in the differences in story between the comics and the actual game.

I suspect they developed the lore for that bit before decideding on putting Akylios in Hammerknell. The original page on the Website says that Akylios had a deep sea prison, which wasnt true.

Either way is really a minor story change. They have just swapped Akylios for Mealforge and changed the high priestess's name from Vie to Mona.

As said above though the Ilse didnt sink though it was belted with tidal waves and such. The Kelari left because of the cultists driving them off.

Sword of Telara

I thought it was just that, as they left, a tidal wave hit their ships because Akylios was like "oh hey I heard you guys were having a Shade? That's kinda cool, can I join? Gee thanks!"

Quest Name: Memories from the Sea
    Description: "As the Kelari Archipelago sank, my people fled on a makeshift fleet of ships. The voyage was dangerous, and in fact, the last ship crashed just off the coast. Our belongings are scattered around the wreck, but the Thrashjaws make it too dangerous to retrieve them."
    Quest Name: Alphas and Omega
    Completion Text: "I am relieved you destroyed the Shadetouched Alphas, but their appearance in these lands makes me uneasy. Such unnatural creatures arrived right before the islands of my people were swept beneath the sea."
    There was definitely some sinking going on, but apparently they meant only a few of the smaller islands within the chain.

Or maybe since Akylios has been killed, and the storms have subsided, then the surge of water that seemingly "sank" Ember Isles has now flowed back out to sea, revealing the islands once more - but then why are there still living things on the land?

Edit:

Kelari Refugee (NPC in /say): "Some of the smaller islands in our archipelago were covered completely by ocean from tidal waves. So terrible."
    Last edited by Zsokorad; 11-02-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post

I suspect they developed the lore for that bit before decideding on putting Akylios in Hammerknell. The original page on the Website says that Akylios had a deep sea prison, which wasnt true.
    you fight Akylios in a deep huge cave that you get to by taking a portal in murdantix's room after clearing all other bosses. the portal takes you to his deep sea prison maybe ?

this might not be such a slipup

it doesnt really say anywhere that akylios is INSIDE hammerknell. the cave is indeed on the same map as the instance map... but it isnt in any way conected to hammerknell's map except for that portal you need to take.

i confess i didnt really listen to the conversasion of jornaru to see if he refrences something about beeing inside hammerknell.

Plane Walker

a little bit from this link

http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/kelari.php

The Kelari fled their isles after their society was corrupted from the inside out. The Shade struck Telara, and Akylios’s deep-sea prison began slowly cracking, driving the seas into a swirling frenzy. Though monsoons and tidal waves battered the isles, the Kelari held fast, protected by their spirit patrons.

Strange new spirits appeared in the temples, and the Kelari embraced their offers of power. One by one, madness struck their priests. As the elite fell, the people rallied to drive out the new spirits.

Yet the Kelari found many of their old spirit allies gone, and the new spirits bloated with power. Now the Elves struggled not for their way of life, but for their very existence against the profane spirit-agents of Akylios. Many Kelari willingly joined the Abyssal, and so Elf fought Elf, staining stone streets with brothers’ blood.

Finally, Anthousa Vie, High Priestess, sounded the exodus, and the remaining Kelari sailed from their beloved isles. By then the seas were nearly impassable, and a mere score of ships made it to the shores of Freemarch.
    Last edited by Mythue; 11-03-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorNanok View Post
    you fight Akylios in a deep huge cave that you get to by taking a portal in murdantix's room after clearing all other bosses. the portal takes you to his deep sea prison maybe ?

this might not be such a slipup

it doesnt really say anywhere that akylios is INSIDE hammerknell. the cave is indeed on the same map as the instance map... but it isnt in any way conected to hammerknell's map except for that portal you need to take.

i confess i didnt really listen to the conversasion of jornaru to see if he refrences something about beeing inside hammerknell.
    It seems that Hammerknell is on top of Akylios, but given that the place is on the coast, Akylios could be imprisioned in Hammerknell/at deep sea at the same time. Jornaru screams that the wards of Hammerknell are shattered before you actually face Akylios head on, but he is in water with no visible way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    It seems that Hammerknell is on top of Akylios, but given that the place is on the coast, Akylios could be imprisioned in Hammerknell/at deep sea at the same time. Jornaru screams that the wards of Hammerknell are shattered before you actually face Akylios head on, but he is in water with no visible way out.
    Hammerknell has an underground harbor. This is outright stated in an artifact set. It's a blue.

Shadowlander

ok so maybe his " deep sea prison " wasnt as deep as we imagined but still hk is on a coast and he is underwater so... he is imprisoned "deep sea" just not as deep as we imagined

Plane Walker

Id have to get a low level defiant out to the Kelari refuge to be sure but I suspect that the only place the lore is in conflict is the stuff on the website rather than anything in game. Either way its something they can fix if they notice it and ever have time to look at it.

+ Reply to Thread