+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Potential Spoilers about Leathys

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Here's the current timeline for Laethys:

1500 years ago, Laethys is defeated in the southern desert and locked in a secret prison.
    500 years ago, the Eth Convocation causes a volcano to erupt in Shimmersand. This volcano has golden lava.
    6 months ago, Caelia the Stormtouched discovers Laethys is imprisoned within the volcano.
    3-4 months ago, mysterious gold coins and gold dragon shells rained down from the sky.
    And currently, we know that the Golden Maw is shipping crates of gold coins around the world using the Travel Stones - they claim these coins are Laethys' body and that she will be reborn anew.

So, if I had to guess based on these facts, I would say that Laethys was originally imprisoned underground in Shimmersand. That the Convocation opened a crack in her prison, letting her 'seep' through in the form of molten gold. That once the Ascended defeated Caelia, the Golden Maw changed that molten gold into coins to be rained down upon the populace. And that they then collected those coins and are using them to recreate Laethys' body - now freed from it's prison.
    Hmm, so Maelforge's cult having a hand (behind the scenes) in the Convocation, which I had always thought an attempt to free Maelforge (when it was thought he might be in DL), may well have been a plan to free Laethys. This new collaboration may not be all that new, at high level anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    I think your right on the timeline. I just wish we had some way to conferm the steps. Its quite likely we may be facing both Laethys and Maelforge at the same time next (that could be an ugly battle).
    Well, all the timeline stuff is from official sources. It's already confirmed. We know Laethys was imprisoned 1500 years ago in a secret prison, 'cause all the dragons except Regulos were. We know Charmer's Caldera erupted during the Convocation and has golden magma, because the Riftgame website about the dungeon says it. We know Caelia found Laethys and that gold coins rained down because both of those things happen in game. Etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Hmm, so Maelforge's cult having a hand (behind the scenes) in the Convocation, which I had always thought an attempt to free Maelforge (when it was thought he might be in DL), may well have been a plan to free Laethys. This new collaboration may not be all that new, at high level anyway.
    I think it's more likely that the Wanton just blew up the place because they like to blow things up. There probably wasn't any grand plan behind it. Grand plans aren't exactly the Wanton's specialty, after all. They usually don't involve enough burning and slaughter, sometimes of your own side.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Given the seeming retconning of Caelia's text, I'd like to suggest a different theory for where Laethys is.

We know:
    - That Laethys is the only dragon who does not have wings.
    - That there is a strange object in the sky over Telara - not the "ward" symbol you can sometimes see, nor the moon or sun, but a smaller circular object.
    - That Hazeed, upon being sucked back through the rift in Shimmersand and attacked by you, says "I almost touched her [Laethys]", implying he was somewhere he could reach out to her - which seems odd for a dragon encased in/being magma.
    - That Caelia no longer says the line implying Laethys is in CC.
    - That in the second event coins inexplicably rained from the sky, and the Maw now seem to be collecting these coins.

From these I suggest (as someone else did in another thread) that Laethys is imprisoned in a floating island/similar. It makes perfect sense for the wingless dragon of Earth to be put on an island she could not escape even if her bonds were broken (perhaps it is a construct of sorts, she was defeated in the region of the technologically superior Eth Empire). Moreover, none of her subjects would easily be able to reach her.

Hazeed's perch at the highest place in playable Shimmersand (and with Uruluuk's ritual at almost the same point) seems to me to suggest that perhaps they are trying to reach her or summon her down - the area being titled "ascent" implies this. Another idea due to the dragon skeleton in Gildstone Sanctum is that Laethys was shattered and remains in the magma in CC and in the sky. Maelforge being enlisted to maybe reforge the gold aspects of Laethys into her true form inclines me to think this too - maybe CC was a way for the Maw to smelt the essences of Laethys they had found so far.

The rain of coins is perhaps the clincher on this theory for me - it is entirely unexplained and fits a few hints which clashed with the now seemingly quashed CC theory. It also seems to fit with the broken prison of Crucia - she is trapped, but her mind can escape - if the same were true for Laethys how better to influence the world than with a rain of greed inspiring gold?
    Last edited by Benlisted; 12-06-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Sword of Telara

Calling it right now - Laethys has been moved into Maelforge's volcano. You fight two dragons in there.

YOU FIGHT BOTH OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    So after the death world event we had Spoils of War filler event.

We have information from that harpy quest giver that Laethys looks down from above. There's also the knowledge of her being wingless and so a prison up in the sky would make sense.

Then we have this strange information in OP, that a chest of gold being moved is literally Laethys.

So, did Laethys find some way, or post the Death event be allowed to/dare to, somehow embody herself as gold coins and literally fall to Telara to be collected by her cult? But why then fall on Sanctum and Meridian?

Could it be that those two places were close to ancient travel stones? We see in this event, the Wanton and Golden Maw transporting gold via these very travel stones. The heat of EI volcano or Maelforge himself is required to reform Laethys? A deal for him to reform her and for her to in return use her power over the earth to free him?

The mystery begins to unfold but becomes even more of a mystery.
    I would say falling in Meridian and Sanctum makes a kind of sense. The filler event you note was concerned with the fact the coins corrupted the common citizen and ultimately the corruption of Telarans is the real battle. The Blood Storm would be easily defeated it seems if not for those who are corrupted by the various Dragon Cults. It was the Dragon Cults and their corruption that forced the Sorcerer Kings of the Eth City-States to bury their great cities and machines under the desert sands, the same corruption caused the Mathosian Civil war and led to Alsebeth triggering the fall of Port Scion.

Continuing that corruption through spreading her essence over her enemies and her lands seems a rather natural step.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

It was the Dragon Cults and their corruption that forced the Sorcerer Kings of the Eth City-States to bury their great cities and machines under the desert sands
    This never happened. Perhaps you should not make statements like that if you are not familiar with the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    This never happened. Perhaps you should not make statements like that if you are not familiar with the lore.
    Orly?

Unfortunately, their technology fell into the clutches of insidious dragon cultists, and the Eth empire collapsed soon thereafter. Rather than risk the Blood Storm’s release, the Eth buried their wonders in the sand and destroyed all record of their forbidden techniques.
    and

At Redoubt we held the Convocation, for—

At this point, the narration on the rings changes subtly. Where her pronunciation is normally consistent with Arkeenian speech patterns, it here seems to fit the Catari dialect. – Zevia Rafique

for a great evil had infected Eth society. The dragon cults had infiltrated every level of our wonderworks, and drastic measures were needed to keep them from corrupting the science of plenty and peace, bringing all Telara to its knees. The sorcerer-kings voted, and with tears streaking their pleated beards, they cast the Convocation.

Here the speaker returns to her original Arkeenian cadence. Certain inflections are drastically different, as if the piece in Catari dialect was somehow recited by a different speaker. – ZR

A wave of vengeful magic washed over our beloved cities, silencing machines, snuffing every eldritch light. Glass roads cracked and shattered, magical wells went dry, and the cities of the Eth—centers of an empire that stretched across the deserts and beyond—sank below the slithering sands.

Silly me. Especially with the underlined bit, I thought it said that the corruption of the Cults forced the destruction of the Eth empire. I must have misread where it says "...The dragon cults had infiltrated every level of our wonderworks, and drastic measures were needed to keep them from corrupting the science of plenty and peace..." Unless of course the History of the Eth Empire section on the main Trion/Rift web site is somehow wrong in two different locations (the first is under races, the second is under the history section.)
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-07-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    Orly?

and

Silly me. Especially with the underlined bit, I thought it said that the corruption of the Cults forced the destruction of the Eth empire. I must have misread where it says "...The dragon cults had infiltrated every level of our wonderworks, and drastic measures were needed to keep them from corrupting the science of plenty and peace..." Unless of course the History of the Eth Empire section on the main Trion/Rift web site is somehow wrong in two different locations (the first is under races, the second is under the history section.)
    You should do Droughtlands some time.

Because that's exactly what it is.

Oh I know the easiest way to shoot down arrogance at 5am while at work though was cut and paste.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Sword of Telara

Oh I know the easiest way to shoot down arrogance at 5am while at work though was cut and paste.
    So... I'm assuming you haven't done Droughtlands?

Stopped Ereetu from being summoned?

Had that talk with the Eth ghost at the top of that tower who outright says "the Wanton came in and screwed up our ritual and long story short we're all dead now".

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    So... I'm assuming you haven't done Droughtlands?

Stopped Ereetu from being summoned?

Had that talk with the Eth ghost at the top of that tower who outright says "the Wanton came in and screwed up our ritual and long story short we're all dead now".
    Yes I have done Drought Lands. On two characters actually. The third did Moonshade. Simply because a story line in game provides what happened to droughtlands DOES NOT mean that this is the lore for the entire hiostory of the Eth race. The fact that the Wanton caused that issue does not invalidate the history of the Eth empire as posted elsewhere. That is like trying to say that there was not a Holocaust in Europe in the 1940's because your read the one book that talked about a rescue of people from a camp.

You need to not only look at the quests but read every little book in game. read the dang history page on the official web site and of course if you want a little enlightnement on recent history read the trade paper bakc that came with the collector's edition.

Edit limit.

I would like to ask a question. before you pull some single line out of the game can you please explain why the history on the official forums since beta should be ignored? If anything the quests in game are there to provide the back ground for those histories so you can see them in context. Unless Miss Doom Cookie or someone else comes along and says "please ignore what you find http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/history/ and http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/ we have done a reboot" then that information is also Canon. Whether to be taken on faith because there is nothing to disprove it (the dwarven creation myth) or because it is "history" (the history of the Eth Empire).

I have followed the lore of this game since the first beta. I may have been a lurker on this particular forum until recently but I am actually now disheartened by what seems to be an elitist attitude.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Sword of Telara

Yes I have done Drought Lands. On two characters actually. The third did Moonshade. Simply because a story line in game provides what happened to droughtlands DOES NOT mean that this is the lore for the entire hiostory of the Eth race. The fact that the Wanton caused that issue does not invalidate the history of the Eth empire as posted elsewhere. That is like trying to say that there was not a Holocaust in Europe in the 1940's because your read the one book that talked about a rescue of people from a camp.

You need to not only look at the quests but read every little book in game. read the dang history page on the official web site and of course if you want a little enlightnement on recent history read the trade paper bakc that came with the collector's edition.
    Have you read the other pages? The race pages are purposeful propaganda. I'm far more willing to believe somebody who was at the core of the Convocation (which was one massive event and not something that happened over the course of many years) than something designed to sell a player into playing a race. The Ethians did not, in fact, bury their cities out of the goodness of their hearts. Half of their race had their souls destroyed because the Wanton sabotaged an arcane ritual at the most crucial moment. It blasted the Droughtlands into what it is today.

Ever play the Elder Scrolls? Literally every single story in that series is written from a singular point of view, and not an omniscient fact-revealer like many other franchises. Rift is quite similar in that regard. In this case, reading only the clearly biased racial tidbits on the main page is like reading a book where a fanatic says "the Bahmi are at fault for the Shade". Yes, Bahmi were present at the Eye of Regulos - every Guardian Ascended knows that, they killed like 50 of them - but they were not the cause. You were there, you know the truth, and I'd thereby trust your account more than what basically amounts to historical damage control by the survivors.

Sword of Telara

Edit limit.

I would like to ask a question. before you pull some single line out of the game can you please explain why the history on the official forums since beta should be ignored? If anything the quests in game are there to provide the back ground for those histories so you can see them in context. Unless Miss Doom Cookie or someone else comes along and says "please ignore what you find http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/history/ and http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/ we have done a reboot" then that information is also Canon. Whether to be taken on faith because there is nothing to disprove it (the dwarven creation myth) or because it is "history" (the history of the Eth Empire).

I have followed the lore of this game since the first beta. I may have been a lurker on this particular forum until recently but I am actually now disheartened by what seems to be an elitist attitude.
    The stories conflict, hence I assume the story is written in that in-game books are written from limited perspectives. It is a safe assumption.

I find it incredibly odd and more than a little confusing that somebody who has been here since closed beta (congratulations, by the way, you beat me by a grand total of 3 beta events), a self-dubbed lore hound, would ignore the account of the Ethian ghost in favor of accounts that are clearly written much later, and by completely different characters.
    Last edited by Terram; 12-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Have you read the other pages? The race pages are purposeful propaganda. I'm far more willing to believe somebody who was at the core of the Convocation (which was one massive event and not something that happened over the course of many years) than something designed to sell a player into playing a race. The Ethians did not, in fact, bury their cities out of the goodness of their hearts. Half of their race had their souls destroyed because the Wanton sabotaged an arcane ritual at the most crucial moment. It blasted the Droughtlands into what it is today.

Ever play the Elder Scrolls? Literally every single story in that series is written from a singular point of view, and not an omniscient fact-revealer like many other franchises. Rift is quite similar in that regard. In this case, reading only the clearly biased racial tidbits on the main page is like reading a book where a fanatic says "the Bahmi are at fault for the Shade". Yes, Bahmi were present at the Eye of Regulos - every Guardian Ascended knows that, they killed like 50 of them - but they were not the cause. You were there, you know the truth, and I'd thereby trust your account more than what basically amounts to historical damage control by the survivors.
    That is why I also pointed to the history page as well. As such I saw it as this. The convocation was NOT supposed to kill the people, or destroy their cities BUT it was supposed to dispose of their technology and keep it from the hands of the Wanton and the Dragon Cults. However of course the Wanton and Dragon Cults would attempt to stop this. When this occurred the ritual was indeed disrupted and those present perished and the cities were laid waste as well.

Neither has to be contradictory of the other, they simply add upon each other. Yes an oral tradition (as shown on the History of the eth empire page) passed down by survivors may not know that the Wanton crashed the party causing a spell which was to cause great sorrow to cause utter destruction. However this does not mean that the oral tradition is completely wrong OR propoganda either and there is nothing in the Droughtlands quests that says the motives and goal of the Convocation was not to hide/dispose of their tech in order to stop it's perversion by the Dragon Cults. Only that when the ritual was cast the wanton kicked in the door, it went wrong and people died. When you look at history irl and lore in a game, unless otherwise advised that something is false or see that things are completely incompatible then you need to put them together because both are equally valid until PROVEN otherwise. The brief sound bites in that quest are FAR from proof that the oral history as presented is wrong in total and as such should, from a logical point of view be placed in context with the oral tradition to see the real picture. It's how historians and and anthropologists use oral tradition and written histories from the ancient past, there is no reason not to apply the same methods here.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast