+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will there be books?

Default Will there be books?

I've been looking, and as far as I can tell the only thing they have out is a comic book. I really really want to see some books, especially about the leaders. For example, I've read Asha Catari's wiki and done some quests in game, but all that really tells me is an abbreviated back story and that she's Ascended like me.

One of the quests hinted at a love interest, will we be seeing more of this later? I really want to see the leaders developed as people. Right now I love the game, but the way I really like to get into lore is to sit down and read - I know you can get it in game but it is so easy to miss a really great storyline quest in game.

I'd like to see some key players on both sides become more developed and sort of become familiar. In other words, I'd like to see some stories that can help me relate to them more.

Right now Asha just seems like this mysterious figure who is known to be a fierce fighter, and that's pretty much it.

As an aside, I'm sure they already have a good writing staff or they wouldn't have such good quests, but if you could pick three authors you'd be interested in seeing take a stab at a Rift novel, who would it be?

For me I'd have to say Jim Butcher (Dresden Files), J. F. Lewis (STAKED), or Christie Golden (Lord of the Clans).

Sword of Telara

Asha's backstory is already mapped in-game, both in the form of books and simple observation. That "love interest" was Zareph Mathos, King of Mathosia (after Aedraxis got his *** kicked). She isn't actually an Ascended, but is insanely powerful because, after she died in the Shade, Regulos attempted to corrupt her by giving her a lot of his power. She refused, for a decade and change, until Orphiel was able to resurrect her (Regulos eventually settled for Alsbeth).

Also, maybe Blizzard has just left a bad taste in my mouth, but Trion's approach of writing short stories on the website makes me feel a lot better than "charge $20 for a questionably written paperback".
    Last edited by Terram; 10-20-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Plane Walker

IF you havent read them already the short stories are worth reading. The Kira and Urial one is set after the events in game I believe.

http://au.riftgame.com/en/world/fiction/

Plane Walker

I have not been to the Iron Pine Peaks library as yet, so I wonder, do the artificats that tell a little history become a book, that is there?

an author I am in love with at the moment is Guy Gavriel Kay, what he writes about I find a little similar to this lore.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I had somehow not known about the short stories, thanks!

BTW, we had a thread on this a while back, and the conclusion was, most of the player base would be willing to pay 8 bucks each for Trion NOT to hire Knaak to write about Telara.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I had somehow not known about the short stories, thanks!

BTW, we had a thread on this a while back, and the conclusion was, most of the player base would be willing to pay 8 bucks each for Trion NOT to hire Knaak to write about Telara.
    Yes. Though if Jim Butcher wrote a Rift novel, I would totally be willing to fork out cash for it. Personally, I agree with Terram - I love the short stories on the main website, not to mention the ones scattered through the class and race descriptions, and the 'important characters' thing. I think it's awesome how it's not just, "Warrior - hits things with sword. These stats are important", but a whole page of lore about the first Void Knight or the first Rift Stalker, and how they affected the world by defeating Greenscale or Regulos way back when. Myths like that really bring life into fictional worlds like Telara.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

First, I'd like to thank you all for pointing out to me that they have stories on the website! I didn't know that.

Second, I'd like to thank you all for pointing out you can READ the in game books. I thought they were just collectibles, like artifacts.

In response to Knaak, I think he's an okay writer but definitely not great and certainly not someone who I would want to write books about this game. He's books are very...dry and wordy.

Jim Butcher could definitely do justice to Rift, no question in my mind. However, reading the short stories, I can see they already have some extremely talented writers.

Now, do I want $20 hardcovers? No. But like $8 paperbacks or $2 digital books for my kindle? Hell yeah.

What I want is bigger books, short stories are great but I like to take a few hours with a book

I have already been in contact with certain people at Trion and they had mentioned that "it was possible in the future", but that is all they would say. I do hope that it is more than possible, being a writer myself xD

L to R: Jadeth, Ivo, Emaranthe, Jaeger
    Rift Fan Fiction!Ch. 11 of Book 3 is here! New web address: www.writezalot.com
    "The most articulated value in Greek culture is Areté. Translated as "virtue," the word actually means something closer to "being the best you can be,"

Jim Butcher, sadly for us, is a CoH player.

(Yes, Johnny Marcone is a Thugs Mastermind. And he wrote those books before CoH had Marconeville, so I think it's coincidence, but you never know.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I'd love to see Jim Butcher do a RIFT book, but it's doubtful Trion could afford him, or any other big name author.

What they should do is look around at different fan fiction authors that are branching out into their own fiction, I know it's a bit hooky to read fanfic, but I've read some that put published novels to shame, and the authors have gone onto do some great published stuff.

Look for the lean hungry new writers to do digital only versions (much cheaper then involving dead trees)

Quote Originally Posted by Nativus View Post
    I'd love to see Jim Butcher do a RIFT book, but it's doubtful Trion could afford him, or any other big name author.

What they should do is look around at different fan fiction authors that are branching out into their own fiction, I know it's a bit hooky to read fanfic, but I've read some that put published novels to shame, and the authors have gone onto do some great published stuff.

Look for the lean hungry new writers to do digital only versions (much cheaper then involving dead trees)
    Actually, a lot of big name Fantasy/SciFi authors did get their start in fanfics, or something close to it. It's a good way to learn how to write, since you already have a background/history established, and can then just work on incorporating your own little tinge to it, and focusing more on the writing.

I think what they should do is hold some form of writing contest. You'll be amazed how many good writers you can find out there, you'll give them a good start in the biz (if they win of course), and produce cheap books. It's a win-win for everyone! (Especially for us since I'd like to see some full fledged books myself lol.)

Plane Walker

I remember in other games where ones could write in a journal and this journal could be left at libraries to be read by other players. It would be a nice feature to have in this game too I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paganlust View Post
    Actually, a lot of big name Fantasy/SciFi authors did get their start in fanfics, or something close to it. It's a good way to learn how to write, since you already have a background/history established, and can then just work on incorporating your own little tinge to it, and focusing more on the writing.

I think what they should do is hold some form of writing contest. You'll be amazed how many good writers you can find out there, you'll give them a good start in the biz (if they win of course), and produce cheap books. It's a win-win for everyone! (Especially for us since I'd like to see some full fledged books myself lol.)
    That is very true, one thing people wanting big name authors to write RIFT don't get is it isn't a win-win like you described ;).

Sure hiring Jim Butcher might bring in some of his fans, but it will also piss off some of those fans. "Where the hell is the new Dresden book! What's this RIFT crap!", then you've got to pay a New York Times best seller, it's a better move to grab some lean and hungry writer and give him (or her) a chance.

~ Nativus, 50, Mage ~ Vates, 50, Cleric ~ Gladius, 50, Warrior ~

John Scalzi recent published a fanfic -- Fuzzy Nation is really a Little Fuzzy fanfic. And a good one.

Plane Walker

Actually its amazing the stuff fans can produce. If you havent seen it yet you should see some of the entries for the Create a Colossus contest that Trion held. Some of the pictures:

http://moonbeam13.deviantart.com/jou...ners-217179403

Goes to show the talent lurking out there in the fan base. Some of the Fanfic in the Fanfic forum is pretty damn good too. Id love to see Trion hold a Fanfic contest just to see what it produced.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast