+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Dream Was RUINED!

Telaran

Default My Dream Was RUINED!

Was wondering how they were going to unveil Ember Isle, and how we were going to initially get to it. My hopes that it was going to be an epic invasion(something akin to D-day) would be undertaken, and we would storm the beaches of EI, and we would have to fight to get control of a beachhead and later(like 10min after launch) build a ferry system to get there(very wow-esq i know).

Thats gone however with the introduction of the portal(travelling stones). I am still hoping for an epic invasion sequence upon opening day. I want something truly epic. I was there for the Opening of RoS, and thats the last time I felt like I had to be there, just to experience something that would only happen once.

And now thats got me thinking, how hard would it be to create some, non repeatable storyline in game to happen at scheduled events. No voice acting, nothing that would change the storyline at all, just a unique adventure that would only happen once in the world at a designated time. The term "making history" would actually have a meaning, as you could be unique amoung the other ascended and felt like you actually took part in an important event. Currently that feeling is lost due to the sheer repetitiveness of the game.

Not preaching, and asking a lot I know, but its an idea i thought id share.
    Last edited by MacrosTheBlack; 10-18-2011 at 09:21 AM.

The best reason(s) to "NOT" do this is que times and the fact that not everyone can be available at the drop of a hat.

Now scripted events that may happen several times over the course of a day or week would be cool, but something that 'only' happens one time sucks.

During the RoS event I'd taken off work the servers went down right before (after I'd already waited in que for almost 2 hours) then I could not get back on in time for the actual event the que still had over an hour on it when the event finished.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=523710&dateline=13203  03557
    Jhaded - 50 Rogue - Enigma, Faeblight
    If all that is good thinks you are evil, are you?
    I think, therefore we have nothing in common.

Plane Walker

The RoS world event was largely considered a failure because everyone wanted to be there but only a few made it. Worse, many people couldnt play the game at all. Even people who had taken time off to try and be at the event missed it. Alot of people were unhappy.

Its a nice idea in theory and they could perhaps do a chronicles thing but in the actual live world one of event it just doesnt work. It just ends up leaving allot of people unhappy.

Telaran

Default How about this.

Well perhaps several times a week would be better. I was on a relatively low pop server(very low now that the server swap feature), so I didnt experience the que time propblem.

It's a problem many MMOs nowadays have, simply because player-actions have very little - to no - effect upon the "world." The only MMO I've played that had the feature of players having a lasting effect on the "world," was in Shadowbane: where players built towns, fortresses, staffed it with trainers and guards, and had to defend it all against other players. Towns would be built, attacked, defended, invaded, destroyed, rebuilt; MMOs today do not have much in the way of features like that. Mainly, imo, because too many MMO players can't handle the loss of "goods" and "property" inherent in such a system, and become frustrated with the need to rebuild after a war or battle(s). Oh, well, what we're stuck with is the vanilla raid/quest/farm/craft MMO. That's fine and all, but it's always going to - eventually - lend itself to repetitiveness and staleness over time.

Plane Walker

The only MMO I've played that had the feature of players having a lasting effect on the "world," was in Shadowbane: where players built towns, fortresses, staffed it with trainers and guards, and had to defend it all against other players.

I remember this from Ultima Online. I really liked this aspect of creating. It had so many features that I would love to see in this game as well. The taming of horses, creatures, stables that were built, housing and inns. It was like you could travel around and see this little settlements others created. Buy from their vendors, vendors that sold items made by players.

At times they would be attacked, but the housing players built were secure, and even though you could lose all that you had on you, on death, it just made you more aware of what you travelled with.

Shadowlander

Its a nice idea in theory and they could perhaps do a chronicles thing but in the actual live world one of event it just doesnt work. It just ends up leaving allot of people unhappy.
    Now that's an idea - Have these kind of events as Chronicles that are only live for the end of the world event (say a 1-2 week slot) - anyone who logs in during these times can participate, but once it's over, it's over.

Or chronicle 'style' - they don't necessarily have to be on the chronicles menu, but have a portal (like slivers) that takes you to a small instanced event.

Would be interesting to see how well it worked - would give Trion wider scope to do BIG things with the event.

Gone for a (long) while... but now I'm back.

Why does it have to be a limited time only? If it's a Chronicle, they can introduce it for the opening event, then... let it continue to exist. There's no reason to kill it and prevent future players from experiencing it, after all.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

One time only events are awesome! Great wonderful things.... if you're there for them and the servers don't crash into flames.

I remember spending weeks with my guild farming crap for the AQ opening in WoW... only to miss it because it was done (with no warning) while I was at work. It really put me off the game for a bit. I felt so cheated.

So yeah, one time only things sound good in theory until your the poor slob who misses out.

Scripted events that repeat a few times so everyone gets to experience it are much better.

+ Reply to Thread