+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morvick

Thread: Thoughts

Plane Walker

Default Thoughts

any thoughts on why the travel stone fragments are coming from Earth and Fire rifts? or why the Travel Stones have five tones?

Plane Walker

and are the Wanton and Golden Maw, their alliance of energy? creating the Magma Opals?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    any thoughts on why the travel stone fragments are coming from Earth and Fire rifts? or why the Travel Stones have five tones?
    Total assumptions on my part: Earth rifts because the stones are tied into Telara, they should be for their "travel" aspect. The Fire-aspect because they're tied into the Ember Isles somehow, and it was the land of "Fire." Anything more complicated would be totally wild spceulation (as if this isn't )

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

It may be that these things were stolen from Telara and squirreled away in specific locations of the Planes, thus we're able to reclaim them from Earth and Fire rifts. I am assuming that when the Earth and Fire cults join together, that yes, you are able to reap the full bounty of gems (like Fire Opal) from them.

I'm sure the Travel Stones have more than five tones, and keep in mind, those are the notes sung by Karine -- If she can only hit five different notes, she wouldn't be much of a Bard, would she? It's just that playing a simplified version of "Simon" with 20+ notes would become, shall we say taxing. And frustrating.

Anything beyond that, however, will require patience until it's revealed through the World Event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    It may be that these things were stolen from Telara and squirreled away in specific locations of the Planes, thus we're able to reclaim them from Earth and Fire rifts. I am assuming that when the Earth and Fire cults join together, that yes, you are able to reap the full bounty of gems (like Fire Opal) from them.

I'm sure the Travel Stones have more than five tones, and keep in mind, those are the notes sung by Karine -- If she can only hit five different notes, she wouldn't be much of a Bard, would she? It's just that playing a simplified version of "Simon" with 20+ notes would become, shall we say taxing. And frustrating.

Anything beyond that, however, will require patience until it's revealed through the World Event.
    I think we have to wait to find out more currently though I suspect:

1) The Travelstones are linked to each other through either the Planes or the Nexus (dont know exactly what that is but heard a lore dev mention it on a panel. Sounds like its something inside Telara where all the Planes converge). Thats why bits of the stones keep falling out of them. Alternatively it could be a sign that the Cults are trying to gain control of the Travelstones themselves.

2) Thats as good a guess as any on the nature of the Fire Opals. Mealforge's involvement in the current events is obvious. They are trying to break him out. The more mysterious part is how Leathys fits into this. Ive never dont GP so I dont know exactly what happened there but the Golden Maw are working to free their Dragon so this Alliance must help them do that somehow. I thought Leathys was under a volcano though I wouldnt expect it to be the same one as Maelforge. On the other hand we really dont know alot about Leathys at this point except she was beaten somewhere in Anceint Eth.

3) My current wild spectulation on the Travelstones is that each stone has a 'song'. By getting your stone to play the song of another stone the two stones become linked and allow travel. The idea really appeals to me. It would also explain why they chose a bard to aid them (and perhaps suggests the Stones themselves have a kind of Awareness).

I liken the Travel Stones to the often-cited "Lode Stones". The theory is you treat magically imbued rocks like a transmitter and receiver; when they attune to the other's frequencies, you can pick up and send signals by their reverberations (that's how a Radio works). In Fantasy, these are mystically-linked Stones which people use to communicate across vast distances. On the Guardian side, whenever I role-play with my Guild in-chat across vast distances, it's understood that we all use a type of Lodestone.

The Travel Stones seem to be similar, at least in Karine's case -- Thontic may have created different ways of controlling the devices. But by attuning one set of stones to another set, people can be sent between the two as if they were radio signals -- no need for the Planar-based Porticulum travel, which is another thing created by Thontic (that God who so much loves mystery, intrigue, and travel).

The "Nexus of the Planes" is simply a turn of phrase for the location that Telara occupies. It's like an intersection of roads; in itself the Intersection is not very special, except for the traffic it has pass through each day. Telara's location in the cosmos is at the nexus, or convergence, of all six Planes -- this makes it ideal for habitation by a wide variety of life forms and geographical features. In "The Dawn", the Gods laid the Planes against Telara's surface and forged the world as they saw fit, "hammering" and "stitching" the Planes into place to craft mountains, oceans, volcanoes, forests, etc. They then cleaned it up of left-over Planar demons which had infested it, and populated the place with creatures of their liking (such as Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Deer, Birds, etc), all made possible because every Plane was nearby (these Planes were then locked out by the creation of the Ward, which prevented further Planar tampering with the "finished product", a defense which is starting to fail, hence we see the Rifts as the Planes once again lay themselves atop Telara and break through). You might think of Telara as being the center of our universe, or located at the navel. There are likely other sourcestone planets and celestial bodies, but none are as special as Telara because no other ones occupy the spot that Telara does or are as massive as our planet (that's why it's such a prize for the Blood Storm).
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-17-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

my first thought was, being that there are five tunes, five stones, that these were somehow linked to the five gods of the Vigil.

After reading though now though, I have no idea what to think :) and love the idea of a type of harmony, vibrations between the stones that would allow travel. What I sort of hope, when these become active, is that the sequence of the tunes will always change, and transport you randomly maybe to different places, until they become more stable.

I picture the Greater Earth Elemental, in its colors especially as being kind of like a creation similar to this Magma Opal, and I wonder why it is referred to as a Fire Opal?

and Nexus..

if Nexus meant "to bind" (from the etymology of this word) and reading this...

"A world like no other

Of all the worlds in the universe, only Telara was constructed entirely of sourcestone at an unprecedented nexus of the elemental planes. Elemental energies that come into contact with sourcestone become tangible, and Telara, so heavily influenced by every element, boasts incredible diversity and wealth."

does it seem that the elemental planes are somehow bound?. And again I seem to question what is sourcestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    and Nexus..

if Nexus meant "to bind" (from the etymology of this word) and reading this...

"A world like no other

Of all the worlds in the universe, only Telara was constructed entirely of sourcestone at an unprecedented nexus of the elemental planes. Elemental energies that come into contact with sourcestone become tangible, and Telara, so heavily influenced by every element, boasts incredible diversity and wealth."

does it seem that the elemental planes are somehow bound?. And again I seem to question what is sourcestone.
    Sourcestone is this game's answer to all matter -- it's essentially the atoms and molecules and compounds.

But unlike our real-world atoms, Sourcestone is also like stem cells; the environment or energies it is within will change what it becomes. Pure Sourcestone is the most valuable and powerful kind, and is what powers our Wardstones and the big Idol of the Vigil in Sanctum, and the varying Machines of the Defiant.

However, when a Plane comes in prolonged contact with Pure Sourcestone, it "corrupts" or more properly phrased, aligns that Sourcestone to the element in question. The Plane of Death produces Shadestone, the Plane of Fire produces Flamestone, etc. This is a concentrated and direct source of energy for that type of Plane, such as the Remnants of Aedraxis, which is Shadestone super-infused with L'eau de Regulos.

So when the Gods made the world, for example, they proverbially grabbed the Plane of Life (in my mind, it looks like an old Greek God grabbing a super-huge silk sheet in his hand) and laid it over the mass of Sourcestone that was to become Telara, and hammered it into place. Quickly enough, the Plane of Life was "beaten into" the Sourcestone of Telara, and the regions where it was concentrated turned into Lifestone or whatever it's called. They then took bits of the Plane of Water, and made the oceans and rivers near the lands, filling it all with some creatures native to those Planes (but only the tame ones which weren't powerful Planar Beings themselves). This was repeated for every Plane, until equal representation and variety was established in a one-of-a-kind world that the Gods had forged.

So that's why Telara's location is so important; all six Planes are constantly in contact with the planet, just in varying degrees and intensities across the landscape. The PROBLEM, of course, is when a new Plane lays itself over what has already been created. See, the Ward is meant to be a big "Save As" button for Telara, to lock-in the changes the Gods made and prevent further "corruption" that deviates from their intended work. For 1500 years since the Blood Storm Wars it's been holding pretty strong, but now it grows weak in certain places. Think of it like Earth's magnetic field -- where it doesn't hold up too well, perhaps thanks to weak underlying layers of Ozone, more [harmful] energy will come through and affect the planet beneath.

Where it's too weak, a Rift will burst through -- this is a concentration of energy, like a Solar Flare, from the intruding Plane. The nearby Sourcestone, now flooded by this bath of energies, takes on the characteristics of the new template. A Fire Rift, from the Plane of Fire, will take everything that was "Lifestone" and "Seastone", and morph it temporarily into "Flamestone", complete with creatures from it's own area. The energies also affect currently living creatures, making them "Flame Touched", which is why they glow red and have elemental weaknesses associated with that Plane (such as a weakness to water, like Pokemon). The interaction of these Planes will leave behind small pieces of Sourcestone, some of it in varying levels of purity, that Ascended are able to collect and augment themselves with. This is where your Engine or Sigil comes into play -- it helps you grow in power thanks to pieces of the Rifts that you collect.

Now the point of contention between Guardians and Defiants concerning this magical stuff is that the amount of Pure Sourcestone is slowly diminishing, thanks to all of the invading planes "tinting" the local Stone until it's lost that special shine or whatever. The Defiants see nothing against using this resource as a fuel, because more of it pops through the Rifts... or at least enough to keep the machines going, and most of it isn't too "aligned" with one Plane or another so as to be unusable. For the Guardians, however, this rock is a sacred material that the Gods themselves are able to manipulate, and with it, the faithful can summon the Messenger or varying levels of miracles. So while the Defiants "burn" it, the Guardians simultaneously lose that much more of an ability to summon their deities -- likewise, when a Guardian offers up a good-sized chunk of Soucestone to commune with the Vigil's Messenger, the Defiants nearby see only a waste of good fuel.

I think of Telara as a huge cosmic anchor, giving location and perspective for all of the Planes. Like a paperweight that you've tied six differently-colored lengths of fabric to, and you then hang the weight in mid-air by securing the fabric all around a room. Naturally, everyone is drawn to this curious center-piece, this convergence of the Planes. They recognize it's importance and power, and they want their Plane to entirely overlap it. This is why the Cults and the Planes rarely cooperate; they have a directive to capture all of Telara in the name of Maelforge, or Crucia, or Regulos, or Laethys. Consider "The Fall of Lantern Hook", a sliver reality in which all of Telara is pretty much submerged within the Plane of Fire, totally under the dominion of Maelforge and his ilk.

That's bad news bears, and so the Vigil Gods and Mortals alike are striving for a maintained balance -- just that the Defiant's "balance" looks differently from what the Gods created, and hey, they don't like that too much. Either way, step one is to prevent Telara from succumbing to any of the Planes, from essentially drifting away from that Nexus or "navel" of the cosmos.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-17-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Plane Walker

"Sourcestone is this game's answer to all matter -- it's essentially the atoms and molecules and compounds."

thanks for this Morvick, I had forgotten this. I like to imagine Sourcestone, in this game, as coming from the stars.

Plane Walker

I should clarify. Just be warned,

THIS NEXT BIT MAY HAVE SPOILERS>>>

My comments related to the Nexus come from what was said by a dev on a panel recently in regards to the lore for ember isles where we will apparently be learning more about the creation of Telara. The Ember Isle has sourcewells on it which are basicly elemental fonts. I sounded from what she was saying, that the elemental energy rose out of 'the nexus' to these sourcewells.

I could have heard it wrong but it sounded like she was refering to an actual physical location.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    I could have heard it wrong but it sounded like she was refering to an actual physical location.
    Sounds like a different Nexus than what I had heard about. Do you have a link to the discussion?

Plane Walker

http://www.riftjunkies.com/

NYCC 2011 Rift Panel

DO NOTE THERE ARE POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN THE PANEL

Ive linked it in another thread. Listening to it again I may be wrong. Its hard to say exactly.

+ Reply to Thread