+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question

Default Question

Some dragons seem to have "cults" that have named people as leaders and not others (Alsbeth and the Endless Court for Regulos for example). I am trying to research other dragon's cults and leaders, especially Laethys, Maelforge, and Crucia. Who helps those dragons? Greenscale and Akylios I understand, too. Are the other three not as well planned lore wise or is there something I'm not finding?

ANY help would be brilliant! Thanks!

L to R: Jadeth, Ivo, Emaranthe, Jaeger
    Rift Fan Fiction!Ch. 11 of Book 3 is here! New web address: www.writezalot.com
    "The most articulated value in Greek culture is Areté. Translated as "virtue," the word actually means something closer to "being the best you can be,"

Although you say you understand Greenscale's and Akylios' cults, I'm still just going to list them to be thorough.

The Endless Court: The cult that serves Regulos the Destroyer. Used to be lead by Alsbeth up to the River of Souls events were Regulos basically disowns her during the final fight and claims to seek a new champion. Judging by the Meridian/Sanctum Chronicles, it seems he's chosen Kain as the new leader in the meantime. This cult is unique since while Regulos is banished from Telara, he can still be communed with quite directly and seems to be able to chose who is the leader of his cult.

House Aelfwar: The cult that serves Lord Greenscale the Primordial. They are newest dragon cult to come forth, up til recently having been ruled over by the fallen Elf prince Hylas who usurped much of their power from the old Fae Court ruled under by Fae Lord Twyl. Outside of the Endless Court, this was the only dragon cult to have a true leader due to their recent founding and push forward in freeing Greenscale. While the Fae Court had much clout over Life Magic and to an extent served Lord Greenscale, the official page for House Aelfwar (http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/not...es/aelfwar.php) doesn't seem to call them out as having been the true previous dragon cult of their token dragon.

The Abyssal: The cult that serves Akylios the Profane. While founded by Tidelord Lyrr when Akylios first came to Telera, they today lack any real leader due to their preference of working in individual cabals who pursue their own goals. The most recent and powerful of the Tidelords was Tidelord Jornaru who personally oversaw the freeing of Akylios from Hammerknell, but despite him meeting his demise in the dwarven stronghold; the cult still makes various headway in new plans to push forward their insane goals as seen in both the Defiant and Guardian Water Sagas.

The Wanton: The cult that serves Maelforge the Flame Sire. Seemingly due to Maelforge's distaste of anything with permanence, the cult appears to lack any records of a founder and or that of a primary leader. It is more that the servants of Maelforge simply revel in his end goal of burning the world to cinders over and over again unto eternity that drives them forth in spite of leadership. To serve Maelforge is to either simply wish to destroy for the sake of destruction or for the hatred of what Telara currently is.

The Storm Legion: The cult that serves Crucia the Broodmother. Despite her imprisonment, it seems as though both the Storm Legion's founder and current leader is still Crucia herself; fitting for one who seeks exact control over all those around her. While she is still confined to the frozen lake in IPP, the quest line up there seems to heavily indicate that thanks to a crack in her prison that she is still capable of reaching out and touching the minds of certain underlings of hers in addition to striking out and speaking to those that would defy her. While I apologize for not remembering which quest in particular, there is one quest in IPP where while on it lightning strikes and stuns you while Crucia talks directly to you to show her disdain for you interfering with resurrection of the Frozen Army and one of the zone invasions seems to indicate that Crucia herself is preventing players' minds from targeting the invasion boss until he enters holy territory of the Icewatch.

The Golden Maw: The cult that serves Laethys the Queen of Avarice. While there are many who give themselves to Laethys in exchange for the potential of riches or simply due to their earthen nature to adore her as their queen, there really hasn't appeared to be any true leader of the organization. Whether this is due to greed of not wanting/allowing any one true individual outside of Laethys herself having sway over them or simply due to the variety of those that serve her; I cannot not truly say.

In general, it seems that the only cults that truly have leaders these days are ones where the dragon themselves can choose who leads their cult (Endless Court and the Storm Legion) or ones that are so new that their leader is their founder (House Aelfwar).

Hope this helps and my apologizes for any areas in which fault can be found in my claims.
    Last edited by EtNe; 10-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.

The Wanton are all about destruction and thus keep no records of their leadership or important figures ie: burn it all. Crucia's Immortal army (I believe is the name) has quite a bit of lore in Iron Pine you attempt to stop its resurrection your introduced to some members of crucia's cult there. Finally Laethys' important members are the ancient eth princes and other nobility which can be seen in Shimmersand.

Okay, thanks guys! Can anyone name the Eth princes that seemed to follow Laethys?

"The most articulated value in Greek culture is Areté. Translated as "virtue," the word actually means something closer to "being the best you can be,"

Quote Originally Posted by HawtMama View Post
    Okay, thanks guys! Can anyone name the Eth princes that seemed to follow Laethys?
    Hazeed, the Prince of the Golden Maw claims to be an eth prince (I believe). He has an extensive questline in shimmersand.

Prince Aziik is the person who commands all the golems and cyclops during the fortune shore major invasion. He refers to all the golems as his gladiators. He retreats after the ascended defeat all the gladiators so we never see him in game.

I would assume there are more or perhaps other royalty that follow laethys

I'm not very knowledgeable on cult lore, but I'll throw in my thoughts. Also see discussion: http://forums.riftgame.com/lore-tela...followers.html

Each cult (with *maybe* the exception of the Wanton), seems to have both humanoid (Telaran) and other-planar leaders. The humanoid leaders are the ones with the best access and knowledge of Telara, and play the biggest roles so far.

Imo, it's also important to note that leadership does not always stay the same. Rift's story line is dynamic, in that we might defeat old leaders or find new ones with each content update. Some cults may have big name leaders with strong followings, while others are leaderless or having power-struggles.

Laethys - The Golden Maw - Humanoid leaders appears to be titled as "Prince". Prince Aziik does a lot of taunting and screaming for the "Prince of Earth" event, kind of like Alsbeth and Hylas do for some Death and Life events. Unfortunately, I can't find any lore on him. Most of the other-planar enforcers of Laethys are rock golems. Titans are a known race from the plane of earth, but I get the impression that they're not always under Laethy's control. They seem to find world-domination a better hobby than hording shiny things, and everyone, from the Eth to Regulos, wants their own Titan pet.

Maelforge - The Wanton - Their leaders might be "Emberlords", such as Emberlord Ereetu from The Fall of Lanternhook, but they appear to be other-planar, and not native to Telara. I don't know goblin lore very well, but if they are native to Telara, they are probably the Telaran humanoid component to this cult. I can't see a goblin leader uniting the Wanton and getting them to go along with his plans. More likely, if a goblin leader were to gain influence, he'd strengthen the cult's power in Telara and then explode. Spectacularly.

Crucia - The Storm Legion - I consider this cult to have the weakest identity, since everyone in it is Crucia's puppet. I don't even know if Crucia gives titles to her leaders. It's all about her.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Plane Walker

Of the cults with Dragons remaining,

The Endless Court seems to be in Kain's hands now. He seems to suggest that he is the new Avatar of Regulos. Ill be interested in how the 12th are tied into that when it comes around again in the story.

The Wanton seem to have leaders such as the Emberlord mentioned. The Stormbrood was putting in alot of effort to summon him into Telara in the Droughtlands. THe Wanton however is made up of alot of groups so I suspect that for the most part its leadership is divided among its various member tribes. Only something strong enough to kick all their ***** would be likely to hold them together.

The Golden Maw seems to be made up of alot of competing leaders. Its seems almost like a kind of ruthless corperate structure with each competeing with the others. We have three named Golden Maw leaders in Shimmersand but two of them are killed in the end and the third we never see in the flesh. There seems to be some type of organisation there though. The alliance between the Wanton and the Golden Maw must have had leaders organise it.

As for Crucia, the only named cult leader alive that i can think of would be that former Icewatch lorekeeper (name escapes me at the moment). Although we never see him in game we do follow him on a merry chase around Telara and it seems likely that he will be coming back at some point.

Endless Court - Alsbeth the Discordant (deceased), Now Kain the Desolate, for now (I forsee Aedraxis returning..). The Court also has many necromancers, former Mathosian nobles, and ancient evil spirits under its employ, and always seeks out gravesites for their replenishment of armies and leadership. Former leaders during the Blood Storm must have been plentiful, as Regulos tends to decimate whole lands and convert its populace. Alsbeth likely gained leadership as soon as she betrayed Port Scion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get future Port Scion content to see how exactly she dealt with Regulos up to her betrayal moment.

(Iron Tomb/Freemarch, Gloamwood?, Scarlet Gorge/Foul Cascade, Scarwood Reach/King's Breach, Moonshade Highlands/Runic Descent, Stillmoor/Greenscale's Blight?, River of Souls. Hammerknell doesn't entirely count as the Endless Court are not that involved, but the power of the Shade of Regulos swept over it, unleashing the power of Death onto it and Regulos' many demons.)

House Aelfwar - Fae Lord Tryl seemed to be a general supporter of Greenscale, even if not entirely a worshipper - the fae in general seem to be more 'agents of the chaos of Life' than exact servants of Greenscale. He lives and eats and kills, making him an appropriate choice for the first dragon to kills. He's 'simple', and the high elves would have never fallen to him if it wasn't for Hylas being tempted with power by the fae. Prince Hylas is dead now (btw do they have 'kings'? Weird to have a 'prince'...) and the Aelfwar are likely scattered but still held together by several corrupt leaders. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Aelfwar reform themselves once they have their minds cleared.

(Silverwood/Realm of the Fae, Scarwood Reach/King's Breach, Moonshade Highlands?, Stillmoor/Greenscale's Blight. A big theme of the Aelfwar and even of Life is that in their 'thriving', they fall gradually into more uncivil behaviour, and they opens them up to the power of Regulos, even as they struggle against him. Silverwood is fully Aelfwar, but Scarwood shows that they are losing themselves, Moonshade shows that Life creatures can be handily corrupted by Death, and Stillmoor shows a desperate Aelfwar pushing forward towards Greenscale, a dragon that doesn't even give a damn about them.)

Abyssal - Tidelord Lyrr founded the cult when Akylios arrived onto Telara, drawn to the madness. Yet, whatever true knowledge Akylios holds, it is the *madness* that overrides all of it. Over time cabals formed, which last until this day, where people seeking secrets and/or ways to fight off their enemies (like other cults and factions), are sucked in and bolster the cult's ranks. Meridian was essentially the stronghold of the Abyssal, and they are now scatted throughout Telara, conducting separate experments/plans/attacks on the Guardians and Defiants. Each zone has a different Tidelord (I think all have been killed so far), and there is likely more out there. They also seem to be rather fine with making pacts with other cults and Planes, in order to gain the power to fulfil Akylios's madness, seen with Death in Moonshade Highlands, the Storm Legion in Iron Pine Peak. Former leaders include the Faceless Man of the Defiant, and different ones on Freemarch, Moonshade Highlands, and Iron Pine Peak.

(Freemarch, Moonshade Highlands, Iron Pine Peak/Abyssal Precipice. No idea what the Abyssal will be doing next, as many of their leader are dead, Akylios' physical form is at least gone from Telara, and they exist in a scattered form. We may not deal with them a ton until expansion-type lands, but who knows?)

Pt. 2 coming up.

I forgot to mention Hammerknell and Drowned Halls for the Abyssal! Also Deepstrike Mines in Stonefield as I'm not too familiar with that zone.

Wanton - I'd say all or almost all of the worshippers of Maelforge are planar, though we might see differently in Ember Isle. They are the clearest example of 'planar menace on Telara' to the Guardians, and that is why we face them first in Silverwood imo, with the Aelfwar being a story that develops into them being an enemy. The Wanton do NOT have overall leadership, but have a loose sense of co-ordination. Dragonians are one race, goblins and kobolds and centaurs are others, and demons are another very powerful sort of being native to Fire. It is essentially hell on earth with them, and as seen on Lantern Hook, even those Wanton who seem to have reformed over the years, once they get the taste of destruction they will gladly jump back into the fray. There are likely no Telarans in the cult because they are massacred, so that the Wanton races gain favor from Maelforge (and magical boons, etc). Possibly a Telaran 'could' join them, but they would have to be extremely tough, brutal, awesome, and bloodthirsty from the onset in order to do so. The Wanton races are nearly native by now to Telara as seen by the globlins, but they are always scheming against it as well. Like others, Maelforge has dragons like Scarn that still exist on Telara. The Wanton provide a more 'clear' enemy for the Guardians to point their swords towards, unlike the sad case of the Aelfwar and the tricky moves of the Endless Court.

(Silverwood, Gloamwood/Darkening Deeps, Scarlet Gorge, Droughtlands/Fall of Lantern Hook, Shimmersand/Charmer's Caldera, Ember Isle stuff?)

Golden Maw - Former Ethian bloodlines, essentially, rule the roost. But not all, as ruthless individuals can rise over the others and proclaim themselves and royalty. It's all a mountain of dung with people scrambling to get on top. Prince Hazeed's story is during questing in Shimmersand, where he shows that rifts can also potentially be used as portals from place to place (correct me if I'm wrong). A loan shark becomes an open-world raid as a 'Desert Queen' of the Maw, and a zone event has another yet to be seen 'royal'.

(Stonefield?, Scarlet Gorge, Droughtlands?, Shimmersand/Charmer's Caldera?. Their role in Rift is so far very limited, but during Ember Isle I'm sure their role will become higher, and after that, possibly into Laethys content, we'll see them focused on for a bit. They seem to be forced to work with the Wanton for their goals, but resist a lot against the Storm Legion)

Storm Legion - Crucia herself has a role in this cult, and we can see that any Storm Legion cultist is pretty much mind-whammied by her in some form or degree (think indoctrination from the Mass Effect series, imo). There are probably names (like the leader in Charmer's Caldera), but those don't matter. Whoever serves Crucia is likely lost not only in soul, but in mind as well, except while the Abyssal wipe the identity and rationality from their people, the Storm Legion wipes pretty much everything except that which makes them useful. Without knowing their family, friends, hopes and dreams, the cultists exist only for Crucia. I forsee at least one major/minor character in the future to be shown to be/become part of the Legion at some point, in a sort of Air Saga or something.

(Scarwood Reach a little, Shimmersand/Charmer's Caldera, Iron Pine Peak. They're due for a good slice of content, above all over cult content. Only the Maw competes with them for the need of new content)

To help you, these are the closest races to the dragons:

Regulos - Mathosians, all mortals and undead
    He commands the cult directly or through leaders like Alsbeth.

Greenscale - High Elves, fae planar
    He lends power rather more indirectly, and while corrupting the elves, he didn't care about them either way. They're all food.

Abyssal - Human (Mathosians and Eth), planar?
    He draws in those who would compose the Abyssal, but also doesn't care either way. They're all playthings.

Wanton -Planar exclusive
    He commands actions to be done in his name, but doesn't directly commune plans with the cult down to details. They're all going to die anyway. He does have some communication with the Wanton though, as they are 'of his kind' on the Plane of Fire.

Golden Maw - Eth and titan etc planar
    I wouldn't be surprised if Laethys founded the Maw, but only desires results from them.

Storm Legion - Human (Mathosians and Eth), some planar
    Crucia likely has a VERY VERY close hand in her cult. They are extensions of her will.

We can see that there are essentially 3 dragons that are more about 'controlling' Telara in some strong respect (Regulos, Crucia, Laethys) while these are 3 others that want it to be destroyed or ruined utterly in some way (Greenscale, Akylios, Maelforge).
    (Regulos wants to do both, but first control it, and Greenscale wants civilization ruined, not Telara itself)

We haven't seen many Bahmi in cults, I think. We haven't seen Kelari in cults but that is because their story and homeland is rather contained. We haven't seen dwarves in cults but we see them as undead in Hammerknell and we have yet to see what has happened at Lord's Hall in Scarwood.

Ugh and I missed Gilded Sanctum for the Maw, and the upcoming Rise of the Pheonix 10-man for the Wanton. The upcoming 5-man will likely either be Fire or Earth themed, unless they surprise us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    (I forsee Aedraxis returning..)
    They put way too much work into giving Aedraxis an awsome looking character model for a quick cutscene or two. Same for Zareph.

What happened to all those remnants of Aedraxis that didn't get thrown into the forge in IPP anyway?
    Eshlon@Greybriar

I would actually argue that the Abyssal are more control than destroy (they just want you to slip into madness but the madness comes from too much knowledge). Along the same lines I think the Endless Court is more about destruction than control, they just use a more "infiltration and rot from the inside" approach than House Aelfwar or the Wanton.

On an interesting side note the three "control" cults (Golden Maw, Abyssal and Storm Legion) have all discovered and are actively using some form of "technology". The Maw have replicated Eth tech though using human souls instead of Source Stone. And the Abyssal and Storm Legion constantly seem to be looking for and adapting ancient (and not so ancient) Eth artifacts. Probably doesn't mean much in the end, but I do find it amusing.

Of those three I find the Storm Legion the most interesting. While there is some pretense to freeing Crucia they seem to be far more bent on exerting control over the rest of "humanity" then freeing her. While finishing off the "Chekharoth" quest line (the "leader" of the Storm Legion, at least in IPP) there's an interesting Journal entry that you can read that suggests that she's perfectly content in her captivity. She's well protected from her foes, by her foes, while still being about reach out and control others to further her goals.

I think Maeloda is right and we're going to see some interesting developments around Crucia. Granted while the source is questionable, Chekharoth is convinced that she's already had her hands in the downfall of the Eth, the rise and fall of Mathosia and the coming of the Ascended. While she may not be controlling/guiding it like he thinks I would not be the least bit surprised to find out that she has influenced things to her own end, including current events, and has a far more devious plan than any of the other members of the Blood Storm.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

After reading that, I'd have to agree with you there.

Interesting progression of the dragons though:

Greenscale = warmup and introduction
    Akylios = show them we mean business

Maelforge = venture outwards to more distant lands
    Laethys = delving deep (figuratively, as she may be in the sky)

Crucia = unravelling complex plans
    Regulos = have a final face-off

Some good possible juxtaposition there. Just messing around with ideas. I hope Crucia doesn't end up underwhelming is all.

And I also do hope that after the dragons, we don't feel like we're in lore limbo. I'm seeing hints of more to come though (from the knowledge that the dragon's energy may be reformed to create another avatar of that energy - where did this energy originally become corrupted btw?).

Wow, can Trion complicate this any more?! *head desk* I feel I need to make a graph or chart about all this xD Thanks all for helping clear this up, this info will help me lead my four heroes in my fan fic xD I may pop back into this thread with more confused blabbering later and beg for some more help xD

Rift's lore is there for those who actually seek it, and imo it is getting gradually better as the patches go on. The launch build was obviously quite a task for them to get done (considering it had to change from Heroes of Telara to RIFT), but now they can elaborate on things for the cults beyond a silly "Those Golden Maw are messing with things over there. I don't like that! Go kill them for me. BTW they are cultists and serve Laethys!".

Water Saga shows that this is at least possible. Chronicles shows that they can give beyond a token approach to lore and atmosphere. Ember Isles will show a little more distinct identity to the game world and races. (the launch zones are almost entirely divided into 'former Mathosia' and 'former Eth', despite how they try to make it interesting. Nothing for Kelari, only a little for the Elves, nothing for the Bahmi, and only some to do with the Dwarves)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast